Strange SMS from Orange

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 172
Forum Member
Hi there

Just received a text message saying from Orange Deal asking me to call a specific number (08702) in regards to my mobile (I'm on contract with Orange).

I'm a bit worried cos I've heard that there are spam messages getting sent where if you call the number you get charged an absolute fortune!

Anyone else had this?

Lisa x

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Doesn't sound like it's from Orange. Call them on 150 if in doubt. Don't bother with the 08702 number as my daughter was scammed by a similar text.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    Cheers for that.

Lisa x
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rest assured the 0870 number will be charged at the same rate as any 01/02 geographic number from your orange handset

e.g.
    on Dolphin, Racoon, Canary & Panther
    15ppm on £19 packages
    12ppm on £25+ packages

on Your Plan, Orange to Orange off peak, & Any Network off peak only
    10ppm

Not sure about other tariffs, but a call to 150 will clarify the applicable costs.

Note: I don't think Orange include any of these calls in any free call allowance, unlike O2.

Personally I wouldn't bother calling back. It'll probably be unsolicited marketing from a Orange dealer (not Orange themselves) wanting you to upgrade. If it is Orange, I'm sure they will be in contact again very soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    I work for another network's customer services and know that our customers do get sent text messages from the network asking them to call an 0870 number to discuss something relating to their account. It can be for various things relating to your contract account: it may be a credit monitoring department (if your bill looks like it is going to be a lot higher than usual), or if there's been a problem with a payment or if your direct debit has been cancelled somehow - the network gets alerted and try to contact you to prevent you missing a payment). The reason they ask you to call the 0870 number is because it gets you straight to the department that sent you the text rather than you having to call the usual customer services number, go through the options and possibly wait in a queue, not actually knowing why you are calling and quite often finding out that the person you are speaking to doesn't know why you've been text either! What I do if people phone me after receiving the sort of text you have received is call the number on their behalf. This means that the call is still free for you and you know for sure whether the text is genuine. I wouldn't recommend you to ignore the text.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Just reread the opening post, noticed that it said it is from Orange Deal, so it is more likely to be marketing! Oh well! if I really wanted to know who it is for definite, I'd probably try calling the number from a payphone with a spare 20p.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just reread the opening post, noticed that it said it is from Orange Deal, so it is more likely to be marketing! Oh well! if I really wanted to know who it is for definite, I'd probably try calling the number from a payphone with a spare 20p.
    Obviously some time since you have done that since there is now a minimum 40p fee for all chargeable calls which includes a 20p connection charge from a BT public payphone. ;)
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    dawson wrote:
    Obviously some time since you have done that since there is now a minimum 40p fee for all chargeable calls which includes a 20p connection charge from a BT public payphone. ;)

What a con. In 1984 I could phone home for tuppence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a con. In 1984 I could phone home for tuppence.
    When I were a lad you used to be able to call a number from a payphone, listen to who answered and if you didn't like who it was, press button B to get your money back! :D
  • FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dawson wrote:
    When I were a lad you used to be able to call a number from a payphone, listen to who answered and if it was her husband, press button B to get your money back! :D

Fixed it. ;)
  • japittsjapitts Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I work for another network's customer services and know that our customers do get sent text messages from the network asking them to call an 0870 number to discuss something relating to their account. It can be for various things relating to your contract account: it may be a credit monitoring department (if your bill looks like it is going to be a lot higher than usual), or if there's been a problem with a payment or if your direct debit has been cancelled somehow - the network gets alerted and try to contact you to prevent you missing a payment). The reason they ask you to call the 0870 number is because it gets you straight to the department that sent you the text rather than you having to call the usual customer services number, go through the options and possibly wait in a queue, not actually knowing why you are calling and quite often finding out that the person you are speaking to doesn't know why you've been text either! What I do if people phone me after receiving the sort of text you have received is call the number on their behalf. This means that the call is still free for you and you know for sure whether the text is genuine. I wouldn't recommend you to ignore the text.

The point about using direct numbers into specific departments is a fair point - but using 0870 numbers for this is a bit naughty..

As for the original post, the sender identifying themselves as "Orange Deal" probably is the give-away. There's a few names Orange would use as their "from" name in outbound texts, but "Orange Deal" certainly isn't one of them. Either delete the text or forward it to the spam-number, 7726.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    No orange department have 0870 numbers they are always 07973100***
  • japittsjapitts Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No orange department have 0870 numbers they are always 07973100***

Or 0800 079****
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    I regularly get texts and occasionally get calls claiming to be "from Orange". It always seems to be some dodgy Orange reseller trying to persuade me to "upgrade" a phone I've hardly used in years.
  • intheknowintheknow Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member
    It might be another company trying to get you to upgrade making you think that it's Orange when it's really just an Orange dealer trying to get the commission on your upgrade.