13»

Comments

• Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, just our forums.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,825
    Forum Member
    If only there was an American you could ask. I wonder where we could find one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Apple and Cinammon doughnuts are not uncommon in America, are you actually an American or just a wannabe like the OP on this thread?

You're just a very weird chap. But, what's so hilarious, is that you actually take yourself seriously :D
  • petral_galpetral_gal Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bloody love this idea!!! What did you end up making??
  • PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah how did this go? It's Memorial Day tomorrow, so most people have a 3-day weekend! It's counted as the unofficial start to the summer, so would be a perfect weekend for an American themed party :-)
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best night ever! Was really hard work but well worth it. Went on til 4am so we were absolutely knackered all day today...in fact my flatmate and I haven't even left the house today.

Ok so our menu was:

- veggie pizza, and meat pizza from scratch
    - bbq chicken wings and spicy honey chicken wings from scratch
    - chilli nachos and veggie nachos from scratch
    - mini cheeseburgers from scratch (not the buns though)
    - mini halloumi burgers for any veggie people
    - full sized hotdogs
    - bacon, cheese, onion potato skins from scratch
    - cheese, spring onion and red/yellow pepper potato skins from scratch
    - mini cupcakes in three flavours: Oreo, Toffee Apple Pie, and Icecream, all from scratch
    - Oreos
    - mini doughnuts (ready made) and decorated by us
    - margheritas and some other cocktails, plus a shit load of all different alcohols and mixers

The photos are not the best, I should have taken them individually of each dish, but here goes. It was all delicious though!:

P1020664_zpsad1471d9.jpg

P1020661_zps8a5e6f1c.jpg

P1020659_zps79cfe261.jpg

P1020647_zpsed9f2691.jpg

P1020648_zpsaf978950.jpg

P1020656_zpsf05d24d5.jpg

P1020671_zps4c570a1f.jpg

P1020673_zps62070353.jpg

P1020676_zps40d47136.jpg

P1020684_zps12c1957e.jpg
  • AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looks good. Sounds like it was fun. I think your friends would have definitely appreciated the effort. No matter how long one has been in another country, i'ts always appreciated to be thought of, and small little touches like comfort food make a difference.

When i spent a year abroad in France many moons ago, we'd get together and have American themed dinners. Meatloaf, baked potatoes (jacket potatoes in the UK?) with all the trimming like butter, sour cream (could not find it in France so used something that we thought seemed like sour cream lol), chives, cheese.. We'd roast a chicken or have a big American style green salad and make chocolate cake. It was good eating. One thing I always missed was a good American style potato salad (made with mayo, mustard, pickle juice or vinegar, chopped eggs and onions and paprika) and served with pickles on the side.

by the way, I love donuts filled with apple sauce, we get two types, one fille with apple sauce the other filled with a apple pie like filling. chunky of sorts. Maybe it's a western US thing .. ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It really was fun, and the surprise element worked a treat! We decorated our lounge with lots of red, white and blue balloons and ribbons. They walked in and were like 'What the f*ck???', they were shocked and so pleased with it all. They also prepared us some breakfast at 10.30am, amazing when we all went to bed at gone 4am and hungover.

We will probably have another party in two months when they come back. Any excuse!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks great, and I could eat a little bit of everything you made right now. :)
  • PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That looks amazing, love those mini cupcakes, and the wings look really good! :-)
  • PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best night ever! Was really hard work but well worth it. Went on til 4am so we were absolutely knackered all day today...in fact my flatmate and I haven't even left the house today.

Ok so our menu was:

- veggie pizza, and meat pizza from scratch
    - bbq chicken wings and spicy honey chicken wings from scratch
    - chilli nachos and veggie nachos from scratch
    - mini cheeseburgers from scratch (not the buns though)
    - mini halloumi burgers for any veggie people
    - full sized hotdogs
    - bacon, cheese, onion potato skins from scratch
    - cheese, spring onion and red/yellow pepper potato skins from scratch
    - mini cupcakes in three flavours: Oreo, Toffee Apple Pie, and Icecream, all from scratch
    - Oreos
    - mini doughnuts (ready made) and decorated by us
    - margheritas and some other cocktails, plus a shit load of all different alcohols and mixers

The photos are not the best, I should have taken them individually of each dish, but here goes. It was all delicious though!:

P1020664_zpsad1471d9.jpg

P1020661_zps8a5e6f1c.jpg

P1020659_zps79cfe261.jpg

P1020647_zpsed9f2691.jpg

P1020648_zpsaf978950.jpg

P1020656_zpsf05d24d5.jpg

P1020671_zps4c570a1f.jpg

P1020673_zps62070353.jpg

P1020676_zps40d47136.jpg

P1020684_zps12c1957e.jpg

Looks good, especially the little cupcakes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PJ2 wrote: »
    Looks great, and I could eat a little bit of everything you made right now. :)
    I had a little bit of everything for dinner last night, it all tasted even better.

Thanks to everyone in the thread, I didn't use everyone's ideas but I think I'll try some in the future :)
    Cupcakes always go really quickly, I think I didn't make enough this time!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ensemble looks terrific. I see you even included the Marlboro :D

Glad it all went swimmingly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ensemble looks terrific. I see you even included the Marlboro :D

Glad it all went swimmingly.
    Oops :o ...but no party is complete without a few Marlboro menthol, right? :D
  • flower faerieflower faerie Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Wow it all looks great. I'm glad it all turned out well and your friends were pleased. They are lucky to have a friend like you. :)
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, that looks fab. Am starving now!!!
  • quincemeisterquincemeister Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Need the recipe for those little cupcakes please Victoria!!! they look absolutely lush!!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow it all looks great. I'm glad it all turned out well and your friends were pleased. They are lucky to have a friend like you. :)
    Thanks, that's a sweet thing to say! They are amazing friends too, we'll miss them while they're away.
    Need the recipe for those little cupcakes please Victoria!!! they look absolutely lush!!!!!
    Just an ordinary cake mixture!

Makes 36 mini cupcakes. Halve the mixture to make 18 cakes:

2 eggs, 120g sr flour, 120g golden caster sugar, 120g butter or marge, 1 tbspn milk, 1tsp vanilla extract. For chocolate cake, replace 30g of sr flour with 30g fine quality cocoa powder (I use Green & Blacks).

Cream the butter and sugar together, then add all the other ingredients and beat with electric beater.

Fill up your mini cupcake cases (which should be in a mini cupcake tin) and chuck into an oven preheated at 150c. Bake for 15 mins or a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Empty the cakes onto a rack to let them cool completely.

Buttercream Icing - use 1 part very soft butter to two parts icing sugar. And for each cake, allow 5g butter. So, for 36 cakes use 180g butter and 360g icing sugar. Add 1 tspn vanilla extract and 1 tbspn milk. Beat with electric beater. Add colour if you wish, and for the Oreo cupcakes I added a finely crushed Oreo to the buttercream.

Fill piping bag with desired nozzle and buttercream and ice the cakes when completely cooled.
  • kirstiemcnabbkirstiemcnabb Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    Looked great and found the oreos then
    Sounded a very special surprise themed night