Skimmed Milk Vs Soya Milk

citiuscitius Posts: 376
Forum Member
I used to regularly buy skimmed milk, have done so for years. My doctor recently told me my cholesterol was high so I looked at ways to reduce this.

I started by switching my milk from skimmed to Soya. I thought this was a healthy alternative and a good way to start as I know it doesn't contain any cholesterol.

I have since found out that soya milk is much higher in fat and because I drink quite a bit of milk I am worried about putting on too much weight.

I am not exactly overweight but would like to loose a stone if I could. I just cant seem to find one that ticks all the boxes.

I would appreciate other thoughts that may know more on the subject than me.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    citius wrote: »
    I used to regularly buy skimmed milk, have done so for years. My doctor recently told me my cholesterol was high so I looked at ways to reduce this.

I started by switching my milk from skimmed to Soya. I thought this was a healthy alternative and a good way to start as I know it doesn't contain any cholesterol.

I have since found out that soya milk is much higher in fat and because I drink quite a bit of milk I am worried about putting on too much weight.

I am not exactly overweight but would like to loose a stone if I could. I just cant seem to find one that ticks all the boxes.

I would appreciate other thoughts that may know more on the subject than me.

The BEST thing to do (not easiest perhaps) is to switch to soya milk, but drink less of it.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,923
    Forum Member
    I think both are much of a muchness. The difference between them fat-wise is probably of no consequence.

I very much doubt your cholestrol is high based on consumption of either of these products, unless you're drinking a gallon or so a day.
  • Me-CheetahMe-Cheetah Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gizzy77 wrote: »
    The BEST thing to do (not easiest perhaps) is to switch to soya milk, but drink less of it.

I would also suggest just drinking less.

It's iimportant not to cut too much fat from your diet as, strangely, low fat diets can actually cause cholesterol levels to rise.

Probably best to look at your diet overall, not just focus on the milk .
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about oat milk or rice milk?