Options

Is this possible??

pmyoungpmyoung Posts: 131
Forum Member
I am currently on O2. My sister-in-law is currently with Vodafone, we both have about a year left on our contracts. Purely due to signal reasons I want to be on Vodafone and she would like to be on O2. Is it possible to swap contracts BUT we both want to keep our numbers.
Any suggestions??
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately not.

If you transfer your number from one network (e.g. O2) to another (e.g. Vodafone), then your service from the first network ends as soon as the transfer takes place. At the same time, the number on the "new" network (Vodafone in this example) would be lost.

This is true for all UK mobile networks, as they use the same system for porting mobile numbers.
  • Options
    scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    Dont voda and o2 run off the same signal? Maybe not but I remember years ago there was a phone called the nokia 5110 and that ran off vodafone and o2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dont voda and o2 run off the same signal?

No, they don't
  • Options
    pmyoungpmyoung Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Dont voda and o2 run off the same signal? Maybe not but I remember years ago there was a phone called the nokia 5110 and that ran off vodafone and o2.

No they don't my wife is on Vodafone and has a better internet signal in our town when out at the shops and local places etc.., hence the reason me wanting to switch.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

T-Mobile and Orange share. 3 shares only in areas of poor coverage. There is no sharing between Vf and O2 (except maybe in the Scottish Highlands).
  • Options
    nigelbbnigelbb Posts: 1,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T-Mobile and Orange share. 3 shares only in areas of poor coverage. There is no sharing between Vf and O2 (except maybe in the Scottish Highlands).
    Under the umbrella of MBNL Three is merging their network with Everything Everywhere (T-Mobile & Orange). Vodafone & O2 have announced that they will be sharing their networks in the same way. In the fullness of time there will just be two networks in the UK instead of the current mad situation of five competing network infrastructures all delivering indifferent coverage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nigelbb wrote: »
    Under the umbrella of MBNL Three is merging their network with Everything Everywhere (T-Mobile & Orange). Vodafone & O2 have announced that they will be sharing their networks in the same way. In the fullness of time there will just be two networks in the UK instead of the current mad situation of five competing network infrastructures all delivering indifferent coverage.

In reality, even with these types of share, each will still have a unique coverage area.
  • Options
    scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    I know its off topic but thats why I thought o2 and vodafone shared the same signal because there was the nokia 5110 for voda and o2 and the nokia 5146 for tmobile and orange.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know its off topic but thats why I thought o2 and vodafone shared the same signal because there was the nokia 5110 for voda and o2 and the nokia 5146 for tmobile and orange.

The Nokia 5110 used the 900MHz frequency that only Cellnet (i.e. O2) and Vodafone had access to.

Orange and One2One (T-Mobile) only use the 1800MHz frequency, so needed a slightly different model of phone (the 5130).

It's purely coincidental that T-Mobile/Orange merged and that O2/Vodafone will operate some form of network sharing.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member

Actually you are right believe it or not. There was a dual Sim kit for the Nokia 5110 that let you have 2 SIM cards in the phone and switch between them. So no, they don't use the same signal but you could use both networks.
    See the description on this obsolete amazon page http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-5110-Compatible-Dual-SIM/dp/B001DMMB6A