Great British Menu Series 8

Comments

• GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I didn't see any adverts for it at all.

I thought it was a repeat along with most of the rest of the BBC2 schedule

You'd think they would have advertised it after GBBO last week.
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So I'm not the only one who didn't know about this new series. I thought I just hadn't been paying enough attention to BBC trailers and schedules.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    planets wrote: »
    it's to introduce faux tension *rolls eyes* i'd rather they left it out to be honest

for some reason i can't quite put my finger on i am not liking adam can't work out why.....:confused:

Neither do I, apart from having too many teeth he reminds me of someone off TV who I haven't liked in the past, just can't quite figure out who :o (which isn't entirely fair to Adam who is probably a lovely bloke :o )

Liking Matt though, and Tom's replies to Richard's attempts to get him to admit there might be something wrong with his dishes, 'Is there maybe a little too much xxxxx' 'No', 'Is that xxxxx exactly how you wanted it' 'Yes' :D
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However harsh MW was on him there was no excuse for storming out.

Agreed, but I think he just got to the point where he thought he couldn't get through no matter what he did and frustration got the better of him.

His behaviour was childish and I'm sure he regretted it later but the damage was done.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oulandy wrote: »
    So I'm not the only one who didn't know about this new series. I thought I just hadn't been paying enough attention to BBC trailers and schedules.

Its return has been surprisingly low key!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I noticed it on the TV guide last night - I've not seen any promos for it at all, which is surprising. [Especially if it is Comic Relief focused.]

I have been watching it since the very first series. Part of me used to like how strange a lot of the food items and cooking methods were [in comparison to things we have at home], but last night's episode just got on my nerves. So much fake drama. So pretenious!

I'm not sure if I can be bothered with it. It seems to be at loggerheads with the comic relief goal for a start lol. :/
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »

I just looked at the list - this isn't pertinent to anyone's skill, but I couldn't help but notice the chef from the Kingham Plough near Chipping Norton. I was born and brought up in Chippy, but I've NEVER heard it being described as being in the 'south west' of the country! For God's sake, it's almost in the middle and only an hour from Birmingham on the M40! Isn't that 'the midlands' or 'central'? It is according to local ITV news, anyway!

Sorry, completely irrelevant to anything important, but it's ridiculous how programmes like this divide up the country! Makes me feel homesick, though - and I will be even more the week that heat is on! I spent half of my childhood at my best friend's house which backs on to The Plough - it used to just be 'a pub my Dad drank in', nothing special, but now so many 'famous' people live nearby obviously someone saw a gap in the market, and good on them. But to me it'll always be the pub we huddled in to keep warm when we went to Bonfire Night on Kingham Village green when I was a child!
    oulandy wrote: »

I missed the start too - had no idea it was on. Will have to catch up on iplayer :(
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    Corrigan raises an eyebrow over non-cooked fish :confused: eh?

This is the guy who WON serving smoked salmon FFS!

Ceviche, Sashimi, all kinds of cuisines used non-cooked fish. Why do these chefs come across as they're thick as shit???

It was scallops to be fair. Very different to smoked salmon.
    Forum Member
    I just looked at the list - this isn't pertinent to anyone's skill, but I couldn't help but notice the chef from the Kingham Plough near Chipping Norton. I was born and brought up in Chippy, but I've NEVER heard it being described as being in the 'south west' of the country! For God's sake, it's almost in the middle and only an hour from Birmingham on the M40! Isn't that 'the midlands' or 'central'? It is according to local ITV news, anyway!

Sorry, completely irrelevant to anything important, but it's ridiculous how programmes like this divide up the country! Makes me feel homesick, though - and I will be even more the week that heat is on! I spent half of my childhood at my best friend's house which backs on to The Plough - it used to just be 'a pub my Dad drank in', nothing special, but now so many 'famous' people live nearby obviously someone saw a gap in the market, and good on them. But to me it'll always be the pub we huddled in to keep warm when we went to Bonfire Night on Kingham Village green when I was a child!

I missed the start too - had no idea it was on. Will have to catch up on iplayer :(

Well they've got Norfolk in the Central region so who knows eh?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

Think yourself lucky. Last year the North-East appeard to be located in South Yorkshire.
    Forum Member
    It was scallops to be fair. Very different to smoked salmon.
    That's not the point. The point is that there are many cuisines that serve raw/marinated/'non-cooked' fish and Corrigan will be well aware of that.

He comes across looking like a prick with the comments he comes out with.
  • mel_drewmel_drew Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sick to the back teeth with this, already.

"Where's the humour?"

"He'll have to inject some humour into his dish."

""I can't find the humour"

"Does the dish have sense of humour?" !!

What a load of pretentious arse!

The only thing worse than hearing Corrigan wittering on about it would be the three judges, but I won't be seeing that.
    Forum Member
    Corrigan seems to be one of the worst at this criticising. It's like he's completely sold out and is saying what is coming through his ear.

He's a top chef and must have more to give than he's shown as a judge in the past few series.

Personally i've come to prefer the earlier format (apart from Jennie Bond :p) without the judging chef,
    Forum Member
    That's not the point. The point is that there are many cuisines that serve raw/marinated/'non-cooked' fish and Corrigan will be well aware of that.

He comes across looking like a prick with the comments he comes out with.

Of course it's the point. There is a huge difference between an everyday dish like smoked salmon and a dish like raw scallops.
    Forum Member
    No it's not the point. You seem to be making up your own argument.

We are talking about the best chefs in the country here. There would be no reason for him to raise an eyebrow to Aikens method apart from faux tension.
    Forum Member
    No it's not the point. You seem to be making up your own argument.

We are talking about the best chefs in the country here. There would be no reason for him to raise an eyebrow to Aikens method apart from faux tension.

You don't see the difference between an everyday item like smoked salmon and a raw scallop? Really?
  • poshnoshposhnosh Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mel_drew wrote: »

"Where's the humour?"

The only thing worse than hearing Corrigan wittering on about it would be the three judges, but I won't be seeing that.

Watched a bit of tonight's programme and can't help but think the "where's the humour" will wear thin very quickly.

However, the answer to he oft repeated question will probably be when the food is served up to the judges and they say " you've got to be joking!"
    Forum Member
    poshnosh wrote: »
    Watched a bit of tonight's programme and can't help but think the "where's the humour" will wear thin very quickly.

However, the answer to he oft repeated question will probably be when the food is served up to the judges and they say " you've got to be joking!"

The humour is in the eating.:D
    Forum Member
    You don't see the difference between an everyday item like smoked salmon and a raw scallop? Really?
    You don't think that top chef Richard Corrigan, who is famed for his seafood dishes and runs an Oyster Bar hasn't experienced marinated seafood before?

That was the point. The raised eyebrow. The faux tension.

For what it's worth I had sushi last week. Smoked salmon, raw mackerel and raw tuna (no scallops though, probably too expensive). That was from a supermarket so I don't see the difference between smoked salmon and raw/marinated/pickled fish and neither do plenty of others especially these days with the influences from Japan and South America.
    Forum Member
    You don't think that top chef Richard Corrigan, who is famed for his seafood dishes and runs an Oyster Bar hasn't experienced marinated seafood before?

That was the point. The raised eyebrow. The faux tension.

For what it's worth I had sushi last week. Smoked salmon, raw mackerel and raw tuna (no scallops though, probably too expensive). That was from a supermarket so I don't see the difference between smoked salmon and raw fish and neither do plenty of others especially these days with the influences from Japan and South America.

My Gran eats smoked salmon and I assure you she wouldn't eat a raw scallop. The dish is for a banquet where a good percentage of people will never have eaten raw scallops. To pretend that it's the same as smoked salmon is ridiculous.
    Forum Member
    Well if a top chef prepared it for you and you refused to even try it then I feel that would be a wasted opportunity.

It scored an 8 didn't it? So can't have been that bad after all.

Smoked salmon = cured fish
    Marniated scallop = cured fish

Plenty of people eating pickled fish, sashimi, ceviche and poke

Conversly there's probably plenty of people who haven't eaten smoked salmon and would balk at the idea of it - what? raw fish. eugh!!!

Personally i'd take marinated scallop over smoked salmon any day. Especially if prepared by one of the country's top chefs.
    Forum Member
    Well if a top chef prepared it for you and you refused to even try it then I feel that would be a wasted opportunity.

It scored an 8 didn't it? So can't have been that bad after all.

Smoked salmon = cured fish
    Marniated scallop = cured fish

Plenty of people eating pickled fish, sashimi, ceviche and poke

Conversly there's probably plenty of people who haven't eaten smoked salmon and would balk at the idea of it - what? raw fish. eugh!!!

Personally i'd take marinated scallop over smoked salmon any day. Especially if prepared by one of the country's top chefs.

Don't get me wrong, i would try it definitely. I have eaten far weirder stuff than raw scallops.:D
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mel_drew wrote: »

"Where's the humour?"

Very dull. And what's with all the dramatic delivery from Corrigan when he's standing in the corridor. Christ Almighty, it's only food, not an organ transplant!
  • Bryant N MayBryant N May Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still enjoy the programme but as always the brief, or rather the continual reference to it by the judge, spoils it.

This particular year is going to be especially irritating as a potentially inferior dish should not get more points just because the chef gives it a funny name or puts bells and whistles round the plate or brings it to the pass in drag dressed as a waitress or any other gimmick.

Putting that aside though it doesn't seem that failure to make any attempt to meet the brief is being reflected in the marks as Adam has done quite well. It's difficult to be too critical of marking without having tasted the food ourselves but I just get the feeling the chef judging the food has pretty much made up his mind who is going through before the week begins and it seems very difficult for a newcomer to beat established chefs. Then again maybe the more established chefs are just better.

One other theme to the marking in previous series though hasn't carried on this week. Previously I would say often the chef in third place would have been given a point more than the second placed chef to keep the competition alive and this wasn't the case this week.

A final observation - Corrigan seems less stern than he has been (or has acted) in previous series and seems more generous with his marks or is it just me that has that perception ?
    Forum Member
    Valentine wrote: »
    Very dull. And what's with all the dramatic delivery from Corrigan when he's standing in the corridor. Christ Almighty, it's only food, not an organ transplant!
    Read a good article on that point last night
    Is Great British Menu the most self-important show ever?
    But Great British Menu is unquestionably one of television's most self-important programmes. Day after day, it frogmarches legions of almost-famous chefs into its kitchen to try to outdo each other in moronic fields such as, "Giving stern lectures about seasonality to camera" and "Obsessively staring at a pan of stock as if it was the Ark of the Covenant".
    :D