SCD Week 11 (Quarter-Finals) Discussion Thread - Sat 7pm/Sun 7.20pm

Comments

• rainbow321rainbow321 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please forgive my ignorance but what is 'Len's agenda? And why would he want to have an 'agenda'.?
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DeltaBlues wrote: »
    Ah yes, of course, I forgot about that.

I didn't think she would go. I think her fans were complacent too. And they wouldn't have thought about the three way tie, and been really worried and voted a lot after she had won the walzthing either.

Bad combination of circumstances for Pixie, and one of her worst dances. I really didn't like it.

Shame. She should have been in the final, and I never thought she wouldn't be.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And I suspect it will stay that way for ever more, because I can't imagine celebs would be so quick to sign up if there was a chance their potential unpopularity would be broadcast to the nation in more detail than the existing vague-ish Leaderboard Maths.

It's only if there is a tie with the judges. Len shouldn't have the deciding vote. He's no better than the other judges.
  • puppylove7puppylove7 Posts: 66,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's get things into perspective.
    They were both in the bottom 2 because they got the least of the public vote. It's as simple as that. If the GBP thought Pixie was the best dancer in the competition she wouldn't have been in the DO.
    I think Simon knew he would be in the bottom 2 this week. I also think he genuinely believed he was leaving tonight. He was very gracious in the end credits praising Pixie as a dancer and also showed his amazement the decision.
    I think some posters are being very unfair in criticising him. I don't think he was fake at all tonight. I think he genuinely thought he was leaving tonight.
    Pixie's dance was not her best. She has done some fantastic dances, (still can't forget that magnificent Paso in Blackpool), but ultimately the public didn't get behind her. End of

Hear hear!
  • Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fatima502 wrote: »
    Yes Sweetiecat you are right and I agree with everything you say. Don't forget there was a big Frankie campaign this week, she did extra press.

So did Pixie, and look how that turned out...
  • Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nagel84 wrote: »
    Disagree. Jake was easily the worst last night and is by far the worst dancer left. Unfortunately however he appears to have a very big fan base.

Why do you say Jake is the worst??

Yes he has done some bad dances but everyone seems to conveniently miss the weak Latin dances Frankie has consistently done or the weak ballroom dances from Caroline.
  • millysshawmillysshaw Posts: 2,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankie didn't either tbf.

At a guess they probably ask them the same questions each, "Are you going to miss Pixie?" Are you glad to get through to the semi final? Then they just show the bit they want. Which can seem like they are not bothered about who has gone and are just thinking of themselves.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_XcX wrote: »

Yes he has done some bad dances but everyone seems to conveniently miss the weak Latin dances Frankie has consistently done or the weak ballroom dances from Caroline.

Jake's Charleston was great. He really wasn't the worst dancer last night.
  • TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's only if there is a tie with the judges. Len shouldn't have the deciding vote. He's no better than the other judges.

I quite agree.
  • sloggaslogga Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    This Len having the casting vote nonsense has got to stop and let the person who had the lowest votes go home if there is a tie with the judges. It's so obvious Len had a hidden agenda.

Don't know about the hidden agenda but I agree that we should do without this casting vote nonsense. Mind you Pixie might still have gone but at least Len wouldn't have the power he has.
  • multisyncmultisync Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    They were both in the bottom 2 because they got the least of the public vote. It's as simple as that. If the GBP thought Pixie was the best dancer in the competition she wouldn't have been in the DO.
    I think Simon knew he would be in the bottom 2 this week. I also think he genuinely believed he was leaving tonight. He was very gracious in the end credits praising Pixie as a dancer and also showed his amazement the decision.
    I think some posters are being very unfair in criticising him. I don't think he was fake at all tonight. I think he genuinely thought he was leaving tonight.
    Pixie's dance was not her best. She has done some fantastic dances, (still can't forget that magnificent Paso in Blackpool), but ultimately the public didn't get behind her. End of

it's very naive to even consider the public are voting purely on dance ability.
  • water_carrierwater_carrier Posts: 1,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    multisync wrote: »

Whether they're voting on dance ability or personality - either way they both ended up in the bottom 2.
  • ForerroRocherForerroRocher Posts: 10,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon it's Jake's to lose now.
  • FrostyJimFrostyJim Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did it have to be a sign of vindictiveness from Len? I thought both dances were pretty close and it could have gone either way, as shown by the judges decisions. They aren't supposed to be marked based on what they done up to that week, just that one dance. Personally, i thought Simon's dance was better once they sorted the last lift. I'll miss Pixie though still.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,572
    Forum Member
    Good point...to drop from second on the leaderboard, her public vote must have been comparatviely low.

One vote will do it.

The vote also isn't about voting to win yet. For many, its about voting to save people who you think may go wrongly. Thats a matter of who people think is most at risk, and who they think is safe. Who voted for all the 5 people they want to stay most this week ? The problem is if there's a reason to vote for the best, and vote for the ones who are better among those who look at risk, those who are better, but look safe, become at risk. If there's also a big vote for someone on irrelevant reasons avoiding teh bottom two gets even more difficult.

The points also now advantage the lowest marked when marks are tied above them (if 5 people tie in first place now they would get 6 and you would get 5 - instead of 1 - for coming last ) Its often now easier for the worst to stay, and the second best to be in trouble. Thats got worse since the judges started ignoring technique randomly and bunching the marks.
  • nagel84nagel84 Posts: 13,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr_XcX wrote: »

I say it because I think he is and going by most of those with a dance background on the forum it seems I'm in good company.

I've got nothing against him personally. He seems like a nice guy, but he's just turned out to be the dancer that many (if not most), including myself, thought he would be before the series began, ie. a very middling one.

Frankie's had some very good latin dances IMO (Cha Cha Cha, Paso and Jive), but last night's just didn't happen to be one of them. But then I didn't think anyone was that good last night, with Jake being the worst of the lot (sorry that's just my opinion and if it differs from yours so be it).
  • CAT5CAT5 Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Very well put. I don't know what folk are whinging about... Len's word is final! Pixie clearly didn't have the public backing, she's a trained dancer, & therefore had an advantage to start with - and Simon had improved immensely! It's a fair result!
  • renziirenzii Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Fatima502 wrote: »
    Yes I could see that coming a mile off, but then Trent should have known better because Len had a point, you don't do lifts in a cha-cha.

Actually you can and absolutely should do lifts and tricks in a salsa... Pixie's problem was that she was supposed to be dancing cha cha.
  • Supernatural8Supernatural8 Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    You REALLY dislike Simon don't you Logopolis?
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frankie must be hot favourite to win now.
    Forum Member
    multisync wrote: »

They can't. The only way to do that would be to rank the 6 and give them votes accordingly 5 to 0. No one is going to vote 15 times .

Otherwise, you are not voting for who you want to see stay. As it is, you either pick who was best for you, and leave who was second best to go, or you vote for whoever you think needs the vote most, because they are in danger , or you vote for the one you like, or you join those voting for whoever is last. People who are second, don't look in danger, they are by definition, not best, or last. their vote then gets over-run by those voting for whoever is last, or voting to save someone who looks in danger, or who has a bigger fanbase.
  • nagel84nagel84 Posts: 13,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry that doesn't logically follow. It's been quite clear that many didn't vote for Pixie because they thought she was a 'ringer'. The same happened with Natalie last year and Denise the year before. Plenty of people thought they were the best dancers in their series but were adamant they wouldn't vote for them because in their opinion they had an unfair advantage due to prior experience.

Many also don't vote for who they think is the best but for who they most enjoy watching (ie. their favourite). I doubt Chris Hollins would have won if people voted according to who they thought was technically the best.

I agree with you about that. Pixie going out is not Simon's fault. He can only do his best and Iike you I do think he genuinely thought he would be leaving.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    millysshaw wrote: »
    At a guess they probably ask them the same questions each, "Are you going to miss Pixie?" Are you glad to get through to the semi final? Then they just show the bit they want. Which can seem like they are not bothered about who has gone and are just thinking of themselves.

Yeah I know but thought it was a bit unfair on that poster picking on Jake.
  • Bonnie96Bonnie96 Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    Off on a tangent here but I'm watching Saturday's main show just now; did I just see Susan Hampshire sitting next to Mark's fiancée?

ETA - cancel that, just saw her again and she's too young but so like her, she could be her daughter.
    Forum Member

He has past history of assorted biases - towards males, towards traditional dances, towards ballroom dances, towards traditional music, and against lifts, "faffing about" and modern choregraphy.

He also shouldn't judge someone he had just had a row on air with - you can't do that and look impartial.

They need a fifth judge on stage , or a less biased head judge, or to refer it somewhere else - like a fifth judge somewhere else (like cricket) or to let the studio audience call it , or to resolve the tie on marks so far.