Options

International Cricket 2014

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't be arsed to look at the stats, but I thought he was outstanding after he came back into the team, Averaging over 50 at a good strike-rate, just as good as anything Morgan did. Again it's perception.

Look I really hope Morgan does well, I want England to do well, but I fail to see how a guy who has been uniformly rubbish with the bat for a year, and never been a decent captain is a great panacea.

1, 17, 1, 62, 5, 0, 4 = 90 runs in his last 7 ODIs (av= 12.8), not British. Obvious choice as captain really.
  • Options
    BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    I see england have kept they tradition of changing things before the World cup.
    I actually thought they would keep Cook just so they don't make any last minute changes.:D

In a serious note the selectors probably thought what the point of Cook playing the world cup if he gonna Retire/Resign after the world cup especially with England probably having their toughest year ever not easy having 4 tough series in a year.
    NZ, Ashes, Pak and SA will be a tough challenge and they need Cook scoring runs and leading the young guns to their first tough year in Test/ tours to countries.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    I see england have kept they tradition of changing things before the World cup.
    I actually thought they would keep Cook just so they don't make any last minute changes.:D

In a serious note the selectors probably thought what the point of Cook playing the world cup if he gonna Retire/Resign after the world cup especially with England probably having their toughest year ever not easy having 4 tough series in a year.
    NZ, Ashes, Pak and SA will be a tough challenge and they need Cook scoring runs and leading the young guns to their first tough year in Test/ tours to countries.

couldn't agree more bhav

we play something like 17 tests in 9 months after the world cup , whats best for us , keeping cook in the ODI team and having him under pressure non-stop for the next few months and being burnt out for that run of tests, or cook having 4 months off now after what has already been a tough year for him
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »
    Eoin Morgan has replaced Alastair Cook as England's ODI captain less than two months before the World Cup.

Right decision but way too late

I don't really rate Morgan as any better than Cook really.........it seems an awful long time since Morgan contributed much to the team
  • Options
    hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I don't really rate Morgan as any better than Cook really.........it seems an awful long time since Morgan contributed much to the team

I agree.
    Middlesex skippered by Morgan were a disaster in one games last season.
    I think he should have been dropped as well.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morgan being given the task of taking over a couple of months ahead of the World Cup means they have someone who is easily dispensed with as skipper if things go really badly and his own form isn't good.

I think Root is the likely long term choice, although I tend to agree with Sulla that he probably shouldn't be burdened with it yet.

Hopefully this prolongs Cook's Test career, as when he's in form he's still our most reliable batsman by some distance. However it's worth noting that when Nasser, Vaughan and Strauss relinquished the ODI captaincy, they were all finished as Test captain within a year. If things go badly in the Ashes, and Cook's own form isn't good, then I can see him stepping down.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Morgan being given the task of taking over a couple of months ahead of the World Cup means they have someone who is easily dispensed with as skipper if things go really badly and his own form isn't good.

I think Root is the likely long term choice, although I tend to agree with Sulla that he probably shouldn't be burdened with it yet.

Hopefully this prolongs Cook's Test career, as when he's in form he's still our most reliable batsman by some distance. However it's worth noting that when Nasser, Vaughan and Strauss relinquished the ODI captaincy, they were all finished as Test captain within a year. If things go badly in the Ashes, and Cook's own form isn't good, then I can see him stepping down.

they were at very different stages of their careers when they gave up the ODI captaincy and in Vaughan's case it was injury related

I want to see cook back to his best in tests , we are going to need him, and hopefully this helps in that regard
  • Options
    AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drop Morgan too and we'll gladly take him for the World Cup!

As World Cup masterplans go, this is far from a late change where England are concerned *cough*1999*cough* :D I'd have liked to have seen Broad as captain as although I don't like him, he is worth his place in the team, is already t20 captain and has that brashness and aggression I think would help change England's mentality in the one-day game. What puzzles me about Morgan is that when he first came into the England ODI side, he was a breath of fresh air when it came to playing the spinners and yet ever since that tour to the UAE he has turned into an English batsman against spin c 1995. Perhaps too long in the set-up has weighed him down but I hope he does well.

Anyway, before all that there's the proper cricket.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Australia-India is moving along quickly...
  • Options
    Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    Well Australia-India is moving along quickly...

Wow! I got up as I couldn't sleep and India are 117 for 6!! Just after they came so close in the last test this seems more like recent form away from home which is such a shame for India. Some of the players will be regretting not having DRS though.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not looking good for India. Yet again, Australia have managed to come back from a precarious situation to win a test.

Hard to see anything other than a 4-0 whitewash in this series?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Granted Johnson in particular has bowled superbly, but India have been shambolic. Doing exactly what they did over here last summer and chucking the towel in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Granted Johnson in particular has bowled superbly, but India have been shambolic. Doing exactly what they did over here last summer and chucking the towel in.

Exactly the same as England did in Australia last winter, even to the extent of having Australia 6 down and then allowing them to double the score,

As for Cook , a very surprise decision by the selectors , but a welcome one. It gives a chance for Hales to return, he hardly had a chance before being dropped.

I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned Broad as a captain, you could hardly get better credentials as he is T20 captain and is definitely worth his place. I don't understand the call for Root to be captain in the near future, he has no record as a captain and appears to be very much "one of the lads" who wouldn't necessarily have respect from his colleagues. Taylor is the Notts OD captain and though way too inexperienced at international level looks more like a long term prospect than Root
  • Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dale Steyn running through the West Indies this morning with all 4 wickets

Windies following on are 109/6 , still 242 behind

Top catch by AB as well who is keeping wicket

De Kock is injured and will be out for 6-8 weeks

Major doubt for the World Cup

EDIT Steyn has his 25th Test fivefer
  • Options
    dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's the correct decision to relieve Cook of his ODI role. Like most of the comments already posted, I hope (and think) that it will improve his Test performances

Can't make up my mind about Morgan replacing him. On one hand, he's been in atrocious form as well but on the other hand , he is no threat to Cook's Test captaincy which Broad and Root would be especially if they did well.
    On balance, it's probably less likely to rock the boat further down the line
    Be interested to see if Morgan has any input into the final 15
    On the Big Bash, Ponting and Co are speculating that he may try and get his good friend KP back involved:o
    I hope not. I think we have a good group of younger players coming through
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the squad

Morgan (c), Ali, Anderson, Balance, Bell, Bopara, Broad, Buttler, Finn, Hales, Jordan, Root, Taylor, Tredwell, Woakes

meh, the only chance we have is if Broad, Anderson and Finn can get into top gear.

Ian Bell plays as many World Cups as he's got centuries in ODI cricket.:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the squad

Morgan (c), Ali, Anderson, Balance, Bell, Bopara, Broad, Buttler, Finn, Hales, Jordan, Root, Taylor, Tredwell, Woakes

meh, the only chance we have is if Broad, Anderson and Finn can get into top gear.

Ian Bell plays as many World Cups as he's got centuries in ODI cricket.:confused:

:o

How on earth has he stayed in the squad

Maybe he'll open instead of hales..........:o
  • Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So by missing or not playing that much in the SL tour has helped Bell and Ballance ?

I thought Ballance should have been there but it highlights the confused thinking of the selectors
    Surprised they haven't found a way to include Stokes who looks like he would do well in Aussie conditions
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might as well have kept Cook, his form is better,

:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon Trott is Captain of the Lions tour of South Africa in the New Year

Good to see and hopefully he is fully recovered
  • Options
    BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member

Although TBH the pitch looked hard to score run on Day 4-5.

Australia would have struggled to chase the total down if they had to chase 200+.
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,701
    Forum Member
    Not sure it is a great decision by the ECB to drop captain Cook at this stage, two months before the WC. Why give him so long to prove himself, putting him under so much pressure when they know 'form' ebbs and flows. Perhaps leaving him in the team but taking the captaincy away for the ODI's may have been beneficial. :confused: However I have always been a supporter of Eoin and hopes he and the team do well.

As for the grim reaper KP schmoozling up to Eoin Morgan and hoping to get a place in the team. :o Was Cook the only person he had a problem with ....... I doubt it?

Beware Mr Morgan, he has previous of bringing the knife out and inserting it right between the shoulder blades in the form of a book! :o:(

Anyway, good luck to Eoin and the England lads ...... the WC has never been a great tournament for us.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    West Indies absolutely hammered by South Africa in the 1st Test by an innings and 220 runs. Third heaviest test defeat in West Indies history, but not as bad as this defeat by England in 2007.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/258460.html
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    West Indies absolutely hammered by South Africa in the 1st Test by an innings and 220 runs. Third heaviest test defeat in West Indies history, but not as bad as this defeat by England in 2007.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/258460.html

Although this wasn't the indies heaviest defeat ever I do remember watching this one

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1353288/England-wins-two-day-Test.html
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    Stunty wrote: »
    Not sure it is a great decision by the ECB to drop captain Cook at this stage, two months before the WC. Why give him so long to prove himself, putting him under so much pressure when they know 'form' ebbs and flows. Perhaps leaving him in the team but taking the captaincy away for the ODI's may have been beneficial. :confused: However I have always been a supporter of Eoin and hopes he and the team do well.

As for the grim reaper KP schmoozling up to Eoin Morgan and hoping to get a place in the team. :o Was Cook the only person he had a problem with ....... I doubt it?

Beware Mr Morgan, he has previous of bringing the knife out and inserting it right between the shoulder blades in the form of a book! :o:(

Anyway, good luck to Eoin and the England lads ...... the WC has never been a great tournament for us.

So you think they should of kept cook in the team.
This discussion has been closed.