Moeen Ali - man of principle or bringing politics into sport?

smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
Forum Member
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jul/28/moeen-ali-england-wristbands-save-gaza-free-palestine
England have defended Moeen Ali’s right to wear wristbands demonstrating his support and sympathy for the people of Gaza when batting on the second day of the third Test against India in Southampton.

The International Cricket Council’s code of conduct bans players from displaying “messages which relate to political, religious or racial activities or causes”, and an ICC spokesman confirmed on Monday that the governing body is “investigating the matter”.

But England believe that Moeen’s messages – “Save Gaza” and “Free Palestine” – were humanitarian rather than political, after the 27-year-old had already been pictured raising money for the Gaza relief efforts in his home city of Birmingham last week.
Is it any different from Andy Flower opposing the Mugabe regime by wearing a black armband or the entire team wearing Help for Heroes logos?

Comments

• mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    as I said in the main cricket thread I don't agree with sportsman making political statements like that when they are representing their country

especially when its about such an emotive issue

the ICC are quite strict on things as trivial as how many labels batsmen can have on their bats and placements of logos etc etc , so whilst I don't think this merits any punishment I wouldn't be surprised to see them do something
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is a man who is standing up for what he believes in.
    Does it affect the game ? No.
    Does it impact on anybody else in either side ? No.
    Would we have known about It had the papers picked up on it ? Probably not

so is it an issue ? For me not at all.
    Forum Member
    He is a man who is standing up for what he believes in.
    Does it affect the game ? No.
    Does it impact on anybody else in either side ? No.
    Would we have known about It had the papers picked up on it ? Probably not

so is it an issue ? For me not at all.

being devil's advocate but how do you know whether it could impact someone on either side ?

I don't think there is but there could be a jewish team-mate in the England dressing room , someone who has friends in Israel or relatives etc etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    being devil's advocate but how do you know whether it could impact someone on either side ?

I don't think there is but there could be a jewish team-mate in the England dressing room , someone who has friends in Israel or relatives etc etc

If there is and they do take issue it is up to them to speak to him about it.

As i said, the papers brought it up, had they not we wouldn't have been any the wiser so it wouldn't have had any impact on us or the game.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terrible bringing politics into sport, wearing slogans and all that...

by the by, the whole England team will be wearing Help for Heroes logos on their shirts tomorrow, can't imagine the outrage that will pour forth over that.
    Forum Member
    If there is and they do take issue it is up to them to speak to him about it.

As i said, the papers brought it up, had they not we wouldn't have been any the wiser so it wouldn't have had any impact on us or the game.

I think you are downplaying the friction that something like that could cause tbh

I still don't think its appropriate for someone to be wearing a fairly emotive political slogan in a sporting environment

and he's being remarkably naïve in these days where there are cameras everywhere and the way social media invades every aspect that no-one would notice it
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »
    Terrible bringing politics into sport, wearing slogans and all that...

by the by, the whole England team will be wearing Help for Heroes logos on their shirts tomorrow, can't imagine the outrage that will pour forth over that.

i'm not sure "help for heroes" is anywhere near as controversial or divisive an issue as whats happening in gaza
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'm not sure "help for heroes" is anywhere near as controversial or divisive an issue as whats happening in gaza

To you HfH support is a humanitarian statement and Gaza support political, to some HfH is political and Gaza humanitarian. It all comes down to perspective.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member

It depends on whether you have relatives who were killed by drones in Afghanistan or Pakistan, or whether you've been beaten up by squaddies in Aldershot. It's one of those charities that's so politically correct that you can't speak out against it without public condemnation. I wonder how well it does as a charity in Northern Ireland.

Help for heroes is as political as aid for Gaza, you can't allow one and not the other.
    Forum Member
    To you HfH support is a humanitarian statement and Gaza support political, to some HfH is political and Gaza humanitarian. It all comes down to perspective.

that's why I said I don't agree with any political logos being used in sport

I wouldn't have the help for heroes thing either even tho I think its less controversial

even the McGrath charity day at the Sydney test winds me up tbh
    Forum Member
    It depends on whether you have relatives who were killed by drones in Afghanistan or Pakistan, or whether you've been beaten up by squaddies in Aldershot. It's one of those charities that's so politically correct that you can't speak out against it without public condemnation. I wonder how well it does as a charity in Northern Ireland.

Help for heroes is as political as aid for Gaza, you can't allow one and not the other.

and if you look at the comment above I was typing at the time you posted this I don't really agree with that either
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But having (presumably) allowed the very prominent branding of HfH it would be pretty hypocritical for the ICC to turn around and fine Ali for an incredibly muted statement which was only publicised by long lens photography. I see the ECB at least have defended Ali as making a humanitarian statement.
    Forum Member
    But having presumably allowed the very prominent branding of HfH it would be pretty hypocritical for the ICC to turn around and fine Ali for an incredibly muted statement which was only publicised by long lens photography. I see the ECB at least have defended Ali as making a humanitarian statement.

of course it would

it is the ICC we are talking about tho
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that's why I said I don't agree with any political logos being used in sport

I wouldn't have the help for heroes thing either even tho I think its less controversial

even the McGrath charity day at the Sydney test winds me up tbh

Sorry but i think you are very wrong.

I lost my mother to breast cancer at a young age so all the support it can get is ok by me. That is something that DOES affect me personally but if you want it to be banned due to politics than fair enough.
    Forum Member
    Sorry but i think you are very wrong.

I lost my mother to breast cancer at a young age so all the support it can get is ok by me. That is something that DOES affect me personally but if you want it to be banned due to politics than fair enough.

I lost my mother and father to cancer

I just think the way the mcgrath day is now marketed it almost comes across as bigger than the test match and turns the test into nothing more than a benefit match for the charity

I made the same sort of comments about how unicef used the opening ceremony of the commonwealth games
  • BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    I agree the Channel 9 Commentators go over the top with it.
    Broad Appeal was far better done at Trent Bridge people at the ground could donate but it wasn't really obvious on the TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lost my mother and father to cancer

I just think the way the mcgrath day is now marketed it almost comes across as bigger than the test match and turns the test into nothing more than a benefit match for the charity

I made the same sort of comments about how unicef used the opening ceremony of the commonwealth games

I must be ignorant because to me cancer is bigger than a game of cricket. I also fail to see how it is political.

Any publicity for something which can affect everyone is a good thing surely ?
    Forum Member
    I must be ignorant because to me cancer is bigger than a game of cricket. I also fail to see how it is political.

I never said that

I just don't agree with top level competitive sports being used as a vehicle for political or charitable causes , the help for heroes event just struck me as similar in nature to the McGrath charity day that's all

I think theres a time and a place for promoting charities or politics and don't think that's during a competitive sports event
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member

Remember the John Player League and Benson and Hedges Cup?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never said that

I just don't agree with top level competitive sports being used as a vehicle for political or charitable causes , the help for heroes event just struck me as similar in nature to the McGrath charity day that's all

I think theres a time and a place for promoting charities or politics and don't think that's during a competitive sports event

Rubbish, perfect place. Huge crowd, TV audience of millions, couldn't be better.

You will be dissing the minutes silence for those that died in the Malaysian Airways plane crash next.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember the John Player League and Benson and Hedges Cup?

I do but that was a different era wasn't it ? It is banned nowadays and quite rightly too
    Forum Member
    Rubbish, perfect place. Huge crowd, TV audience of millions, couldn't be better.

You will be dissing the minutes silence for those that died in the Malaysian Airways plane crash next.

I think i'll leave this discussion now if you are going to take things to that level
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think i'll leave this discussion now if you are going to take things to that level

What level ?

Your words

I just don't agree with top level competitive sports being used as a vehicle for political or charitable causes

Surely that means all or nothing not picking and choosing.
    Forum Member
    so you think of accusing someone of not being prepared to show respect to victims of a disaster during a minutes silence is the same thing as sports not promoting charitable or political causes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so you think of accusing someone of not being prepared to show respect to victims of a disaster during a minutes silence is the same thing as sports not promoting charitable or political causes

I am saying that sometimes you HAVE to involve politics in sport and for the right reason. You are saying ALL politics should be banned from sport, you are the one who needs to re think your stance. As i say, sometimes it is unavoidable and sometimes it is done for a very good reason.