Compulsory plastic bag charge from tomorrow...?

OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's any shopping bag, not just plastic - paper & recyclable bags too. Minimum charge 5p which is kept by the retailer.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/oct/19/shoppers-pay-carrier-bags-scotland

I think that instead it should be incentive-based, eg 5p off your shopping if you don't need a bag.

And anyway the problem of plastic bags killing wildlife etc is primarily a littering problem.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Where?
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    This is in Scotland only so of no relevance to probably 90% of the forum.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,526
    Forum Member
    B & Q already charge for bags, in England. Goes to charity, they say. Voluntary of course.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M&S have been charging for carrier bags for a long time in England, I'm not sure about elsewhere.
    I see carrier bags as a big advert for the shops so I have never felt as though I should buy them, I take poundland carriers to shop at M&S and I do recycle as much as possible and use reusable cloth bags when ever I can.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I imagine there will be a lot of panic buying in Scotland to save paying this 5p charge.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it is being introduced tomorrow, how come nobody's said anything?

Edit - Ah, that's why: it doesn't affect England yet.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what if you bought goods at one supermarket, decline a bag, & hand-carry your goods to another shop that sells the same products - they might think you were stealing & it would be very time consuming to check receipts with everyone? :confused:
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    It's any shopping bag, not just plastic - paper & recyclable bags too. Minimum charge 5p which is kept by the retailer.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/oct/19/shoppers-pay-carrier-bags-scotland

I think that instead it should be incentive-based, eg 5p off your shopping if you don't need a bag.

And anyway the problem of plastic bags killing wildlife etc is primarily a littering problem.

We have 5p plastic bags in NI and have had for over a year. I'm pretty certain the money goes to the government in this case though. The last lot of statistics I saw suggested that it was actually very effective in cutting down use of these bags, so that's a good thing. Besides, you get used to it pretty quickly. I was in York last year and tried to give the man in Sainsbury's a 5p for my bag. He looked at me like I was the biggest idiot in the world - I kinda was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    If it is being introduced tomorrow, how come nobody's said anything?

Edit - Ah, that's why: it doesn't affect England yet.

I didn't know about it until I read about it today. It's not been very well publicised.
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even on McDonalds takeaway bags.
  • SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another stealth tax
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's supposedly for the environment why are they charging for paper bags too? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scotch wrote: »
    Even on McDonalds takeaway bags.

What about the little bag the fries come in? Is that 5p too? :blush:
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's supposedly for the environment why are they charging for paper bags too? :confused:

Cutting down on excess paper usage is also good for the environment.
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think they're exempt cause they can't close:confused:
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

They're hardly a carrier bag of the shopping type are they..
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wales has had it for a while. It is an excellent idea. All shops have to charge it - not as in the wishy washy English plan. All the money goes to good causes. And it has cut down massively on plastic bags floating everywhere and sticking onto trees.

In five minutes you get used to taking a bag out to shop with you and it then costs NOTHING - so hardly a stealth tax. Only if they tax laziness. :)

You will soon see that it is a great idea and not remotely diffcult to live with.

But if you are really bothered save the last two or three bags you get free before the switch and put them in your coat pocket, handbag etc...they fold up easily. Then you have what you would have otherwise got needlessly over and over again every time you shop.

This is being done to stop that excessive use of free bags for everything and it is so easy to change your mentality just that tiny bit for the benefit of all. You will feel good about doing it too.

When it came in in Wales I checked the house and found there were 67 plastic bags littering various rooms.

You will be quite surprised how easy it is not to do that again and, of course, such numbers multiplied across every household in the UK shows why it was so necessary to do something to make people think about being sensible.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hasn't it already happened in England? I know they have this law in Wales and I think in Northern Ireland too. I'm surprised its taken so long here in Scotland. I have a few bags, I mostly use them as bin liners though. My shopping wouldn't fit in my handbag, so I'm not sure what else I can do, other than keep paying for new ones? if its one or two small items they might go in my handbag but if its clothes and/or shoes or numerous groceries, I doubt they'd fit in my handbag. Even if they could, I'd be concerned my bag would be overfilled and I'd find it very difficult rooting around, to find my wallet and purse. I guess I just keep them in my pockets instead?.

Even if I did, say, buy one plastic bag and re-used it alot, it can be easy to accidentally rip them as their obviously quite cheap, so they wouldn't last long. Maybe the answer is to get one or two of those bags for life instead and bring them all the time? something like that.
  • SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Cutting down on excess paper usage is also good for the environment.

Better than reducing plastic bag usage actually!
  • AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member

It is incentive based you save 5p off your shopping if you remember to bring your own bag.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meanwhile, some industrial factory somewhere does more damage to the environment in a day than everyone's shopping bags in a year...but Joe Public continues to be guilt tripped for every stupid little thing.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Skyclad wrote: »
    Another stealth tax

Very easy to avoid though. Just take your own bags.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people who cheer this sort of thing on are obviously unaffected by it.

As soon as such a charge came into being that affected them they will be outraged.

And give it time... 5p on this, 5p on that. It's a nice bonus for those hard-pressed retailers. 5p on alcohol for anti-alcohol measures, 5p on sugar sales for anti-sugar measures.

How can you argue when it's for such a "good cause"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    The people who cheer this sort of thing on are obviously unaffected by it.

As soon as such a charge came into being that affected them they will be outraged.

And give it time... 5p on this, 5p on that. It's a nice bonus for those hard-pressed retailers. 5p on alcohol for anti-alcohol measures, 5p on sugar sales for anti-sugar measures.

How can you argue when it's for such a "good cause"?
    Yes... like when the airport departure tax was introduced it was ostensibly to help the environment by discouraging air travel. It has since gone up in leaps and bounds (with no effect on air passenger volume) and the Treasury now admits it's simply a tax revenue stream.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    btw we were always told that the cost of 'free' bags are factored in the cost of shopping goods... So can we now expect prices to come down? :)