Ian Duncan "Foodbanks" Smith on Politics Today

jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Jaysus what a car crash of an interview with IDS Foodbanks denying everything even the fact that 40% of people appealing decisions by his department have won appeals some 600,000 people. He was gulping water from a mug and looked absolutely petrified at some of Neils questions , I laughed because I believed Foodbanks Smith was literally turning grey as the interview progressed into a slaughtering of IDS by Neil .

It is totally obvious that this Tory policy is causing great despair among the sick, disabled, children and those on the poverty breadline and IDS comparing the UK food banks numbers with that of Germany.

Never ever trust anything a Tory says ....at least with UKIP they tell some of the truth some of the time.

Comments

• wendy09wendy09 Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jojoeno wrote: »
    Jaysus what a car crash of an interview with IDS Foodbanks denying everything even the fact that 40% of people appealing decisions by his department have won appeals some 600,000 people. He was gulping water from a mug and looked absolutely petrified at some of Neils questions , I laughed because I believed Foodbanks Smith was literally turning grey as the interview progressed into a slaughtering of IDS by Neil .

It is totally obvious that this Tory policy is causing great despair among the sick, disabled, children and those on the poverty breadline and IDS comparing the UK food banks numbers with that of Germany.

Never ever trust anything a Tory says ....at least with UKIP they tell some of the truth some of the time.

ukip would do the same. farage is blue blooded unreformed thatcherite.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    wendy09 wrote: »
    ukip would do the same. farage is blue blooded unreformed thatcherite.

UKIP have already identified over £20bn of cuts they would make to eliminate the deficit - without hitting welfare benefits at all. Thats about £19bn more than the other parties.

Perhaps the question should be - what cuts are Labour going to make and what (bar the bedroom tax which saves no money anyway) of the Tories cuts they plan to reverse. None it seems - or if they do Ed won't tell us until after the election.

Dont assume Labour will reverse the cuts - they won't - and may even have to make more as the financial markets may force their hands. Cos we are up to our eyeballs in debt!
  • BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    UKIP have already identified over £20bn of cuts they would make to eliminate the deficit - without hitting welfare benefits at all. Thats about £19bn more than the other parties.

Perhaps the question should be - what cuts are Labour going to make and what (bar the bedroom tax which saves no money anyway) of the Tories cuts they plan to reverse. None it seems - or if they do Ed won't tell us until after the election.

Dont assume Labour will reverse the cuts - they won't - and may even have to make more as the financial markets may force their hands. Cos we are up to our eyeballs in debt!

You could say the same about anyone who has a mortgage, you pay it off over a number of years - you don't kill yourself to pay it all off at once
  • gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

!

What are the cuts that he has identified as being the cuts he will make?
  • tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are the cuts that he has identified as being the cuts he will make?

Child Benefit for the first 2 children only as he believes it will help behavioural change
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tony321 wrote: »
    Child Benefit for the first 2 children only as he believes it will help behavioural change

What? Child benefit is something like £13 per week for every child after the first. Does anyone really believe that anyone decides to have a child to get their hands on such a princely sum? Abolishing it after the second child will change nothing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It didn't stop parents having lots of children before child benefit was introduced, so why would he expect people to stop having children if he child benefits were to stop after the second child now?

There are too many factors for it to be so simple, for instance what about accidental pregnancies after a couple has had two children ?
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are too many factors for it to be so simple, for instance what about accidental pregnancies after a couple has had two children ?
    What about triplets in a first pregnancy?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about triplets in a first pregnancy?

Well I've asked that question before a few times, and I've always been told that having more than 2 babies during one pregnancy will be taken into account , which is why I have asked a different question this time :)
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member

I take it there are going to be more cuts than this one?
  • hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It didn't stop parents having lots of children before child benefit was introduced, so why would he expect people to stop having children if he child benefits were to stop after the second child now?

It's worth a try, but should go further so that having loads of kids is not a passport to loads of extra benefits, inwork or out.
    If from a set date, people choose to have more than 2 kids, that's fine but don't expect the taxpayer to fund them.
    Having an accidental pregnancy after already having 2 children - maybe some personal responsibility might kick in, and if as a previous comment claims £13pw is nothing, then it won't be a big deal.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how much will it save?

Which parent gets the child allowance?

If someone marries someone who already has 2 children will they be allowed to claim child benefit on subsequent children in their own right?
  • Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jojoeno wrote: »

Doesn't this government you laugh ,As they are cutting the money that it gives to the British poor people but increasing funding to help the poor in foreign lands>:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can we for once have the basis of this £20b cuts supposition?
    Other than 'everything's on the table' and NHS and ringfenced pensions in their sights, there's been absolutely no mention of where cuts to any value are to take place.

In January Farage said "We will come up with a plan, a fairly radical plan, about how government spending should be cut".
    There's an election coming up. About time we heard this plan, I would have thought..
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,585
    Forum Member
    Can we for once have the basis of this £20b cuts supposition?
    Other than 'everything's on the table' and NHS and ringfenced pensions in their sights, there's been absolutely no mention of where cuts to any value are to take place.

In January Farage said "We will come up with a plan, a fairly radical plan, about how government spending should be cut".
    There's an election coming up. About time we heard this plan, I would have thought..

I believe that UKIP are talking about slashing the overseas development budget. However I could well be wrong as this was policy three days ago but I have not checked since.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IDS is just one of many.
    In recent years it's like all the sensible Conservative politicians have been taken out back and shot.

Instead we have a raft of swivel-eyed loons and quasi-religious zealots who won't listen to reason.

A series of mad-cap policies are taking the country into ruin, it's like the bad days of Old Labour again.

Serious question. Why is the Conservative party so full of deranged types these days?
  • razorboyrazorboy Posts: 5,831
    Forum Member
    What? Child benefit is something like £13 per week for every child after the first. Does anyone really believe that anyone decides to have a child to get their hands on such a princely sum? Abolishing it after the second child will change nothing.

I can not believe anyone decides to have a child thinking it will be profitable at least not for the first 20 years or so
  • tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't believe anything IDS as he was exposed on the show as being economical with the truth during the interview with Andrew Neill.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    I believe that UKIP are talking about slashing the overseas development budget. However I could well be wrong as this was policy three days ago but I have not checked since.
    Snigger. :D
  • Jean_DanielsJean_Daniels Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't believe anything IDS as he was exposed on the show as being economical with the truth during the interview with Andrew Neill.

this man is in total denial he just cant stand being critised,he thinks he is god , i think the sooner we get rid of these unfeeling politcians the better
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this man is in total denial he just cant stand being critised,he thinks he is god , i think the sooner we get rid of these unfeeling politcians the better

IDS really hates the poor with every bone in his body it would make his day if we all die.
  • Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from forcing misery on people, the problem with IDS's welfare changes is that they don't actually save any money. Hell, he's probably cost us way more than needed with the entirely screwed up roll out of Universal Credit, the pointless bedroom tax and continuing the obviously failed ideology of passing benefits claimants on to the likes of G4S. Concurrently, the sanction regime - which to be fair started under New Labour - is another pointless exercise in upping admin and potentially NHS costs as people will either claim hardship funds of go through lengthy appeals.

The man is an idiot, a psychopath or a brainless fall guy - take your pick.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was this the interview where he said people whose benefits were sanctioned could get crisis loans, completely forgetting that he did away with crisis loans nearly 2 years ago?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The conservatives attitude towards the less fortunate is bl**dy disgusting.just hope this evil disgusting bunch don't win the next election as they will really hurt the poor if they win.
  • ScaramoucheScaramouche Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    Was this the interview where he said people whose benefits were sanctioned could get crisis loans, completely forgetting that he did away with crisis loans nearly 2 years ago?

This was the one where he insisted that funding for Universal Credit has been fully signed off by the Treasury despite Treasury officials saying on Wednesday that they're unlikely to make the decision until next summer.