[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They knew it wasn't real, though.
  • Options
    RuokasiRuokasi Posts: 3,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The three knew that The Big Donor Show, which aired on Friday, was not real. The producers say it was made to highlight the shortage of Dutch donors."

..I think it was a good idea. It has raised awareness.
  • Options
    James LamontJames Lamont Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh right, ill edit my post, I thought that they were in need of one and didn't know about it being a hoax.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    though the three people vying for an organ were real patients in need of a kidney transplant.
    That is even sicker than the programme being for real. Even sicker.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it.

It started off talking about Bart de Graaff, the man behind BNN. He died waiting for a kidney transplant in 2002, it showed video snippets of him in hospital before his death.

It then showed the 'donor', who was actually an actress and it told her story. Then she had to pick down 3 people from a selection of many. She eliminated them by no people over 50, no smokers and people who hadnt a job. When she made a choice of three, it showed a video diary of their stories.
    The three 'contestants' are needing a new kidney in real life, and they knew beforehand that they would not be getting a kidney - just to raise awareness of the lack of organ donors to the Netherlands/Europe/the World, which they more than done.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had my doubts from the begining.

I mean, how could they know the contestants were compatible with the donor :confused:
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sg_ wrote: »
    I watched it.

It started off talking about Bart de Graaff, the man behind BNN. He died waiting for a kidney transplant in 2002, it showed video snippets of him in hospital before his death.

It then showed the 'donor', who was actually an actress and it told her story. Then she had to pick down 3 people from a selection of many. She eliminated them by no people over 50, no smokers and people who hadnt a job. When she made a choice of three, it showed a video diary of their stories.

The three 'contestants' are needing a new kidney in real life, and they knew beforehand that they would not be getting a kidney - just to raise awareness of the lack of organ donors to the Netherlands/Europe/the World, which they more than done.

Interesting, I guess they've certainly raised awareness of the issue.
  • Options
    RuokasiRuokasi Posts: 3,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yup.. It's not as though it stopped them getting a kidney. They will probably help themselves and other people get one by appearing on this show as maybe now people will want to donate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had my doubts. Cancer patients are banned from donating their organs, for obvious reasons, so the story didn't make sense.
  • Options
    ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one taking part was misled, and so for that, it was a great idea.
    How else could they have raised the donor subject to the front page news?
  • Options
    tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    One thing this story does show is the poor standard of journalism we now have in this country, on TV, Radio and the press. Does no one actually send reporters to check stories anymore?.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    One thing this story does show is the poor standard of journalism we now have in this country, on TV, Radio and the press. Does no one actually send reporters to check stories anymore?.
    The story about the donor supposedly dying of cancer should have made them suspicious.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiger2000 wrote: »

Your comment needs sending to a live reporting programme just to see their response. Extremes of who would actually broadcast it i'd imagine, would be gmtv and question time (i do actually remember a welsh guy on here on question time).
  • Options
    radio-oneradio-one Posts: 7,032
    Forum Member
    darkpaw wrote: »
    The story about the donor supposedly dying of cancer should have made them suspicious.

yes, I was wondering why they would use the kidneys of a patient with terminal illness for transplant.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't see why if they knew from the beginning and agreed to be part of the show. I would agree to it if I were in their position.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact that they are making fun of serious issues like this is completely wrong to me.
  • Options
    Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    The fact that they are making fun of serious issues like this is completely wrong to me.

I don't think they were making fun of it at all. They set out to raise awareness of a crisis in the lack of donors, and certainly acheived that.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take it the BBC realised it wasn't April anymore? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They weren't making fun of it.
    The entire point of the program was to raise awareness to the lack of donors.
  • Options
    Forever AwkwardForever Awkward Posts: 3,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She eliminated them by no people over 50, no smokers and people who hadnt a job. When she made a choice of three, it showed a video diary of their stories.

Ridiculous.
    I mean, how could they know the contestants were compatible with the donor :confused:

Absolutely.
    radio-one wrote: »
    yes, I was wondering why they would use the kidneys of a patient with terminal illness for transplant.

Exactly. When cancer has reached a terminal stage, the chances are that most of their organs are affected by the carcinogen factor in their blood and at risk of developing cancerous tumours and spreading the factor to the blood of the recipient.

So many things about this show had "hoax" written all over it from the start.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Shock tactics like this get people talking, and thats what we want, right?

The Uk is so closed because issues that should be talked about (like rasicism...ect) should be talked about and not be slapped a report by Ofcom on it!

Thats the Uks main problem, Ofcom!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ridiculous.

The show wasnt real.

The show was actually very serious up until the point the presenter announced that giving away a kidney would be 'too much even for them' just as the 'donor' was going to say the winner then there was a big round of applause when he finished talking.
    I mean, how could they know the contestants were compatible with the donor

The presenter said at the start that all people in the initial shortlist were checked beforehand and compatiable with her. I know nothing about kidney transplants or the way they work in the stage of a transplant - find a suitable donor etc...

I really find it funny at some peoples attitudes towards this. They raise awareness about an important issue and yet all some people can seem do is pick holes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show wasnt real.

The show was actually very serious up until the point the presenter announced that giving away a kidney would be 'too much even for them' just as the 'donor' was going to say the winner then there was a big round of applause when he finished talking.

The presenter said at the start that all people in the initial shortlist were checked beforehand and compatiable with her. I know nothing about kidney transplants or the way they work in the stage of a transplant - find a suitable donor etc...

I really find it funny at some peoples attitudes towards this. They raise awareness about an important issue and yet all some people can seem do is pick holes.

Its not really their fault, but the goverments! Any issues that should be talked about are given a "hush hush" and some report being made to the public about how wrong it was ...ect.ect.

Unlike in the Netherlands, where conservative people dont agree with it, but respect others choice, those conservatives in the Uk need to make a song and dance about things until they go off the air, you saw this with the UK big brother.

Out of all the people that watched it, only 4 thousand wrote in and complained and Ofcom listened to those idiots so they "dont upset people", when infact they have made it even worse by not really letting the issue being talked about.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was genius, personally. The controversy surrounding the show got it onto the front page everywhere- all the news outlets have now had to run a story saying that it was a hoax, and why... there's your highlighted awareness right there. Textbook example of how to get a story more coverage.

I don't often say this, but good for them, really. Maybe a few more people will donate now who it hadn't occurred to previously, and I fail to see how anyone who isn't a Jehovah's Witness could see that as a bad thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the programme is from Endemol...:rolleyes: !