US Pace and UK Pace???

GooberGoober Posts: 213
Forum Member
I often see threads here with US Pace and UK Pace - what on earth does this mean?:confused:

Comments

• Tom123Tom123 Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    following a series as aired in the States or as aired over here in the UK
  • GooberGoober Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Tom123 wrote: »
    following a series as aired in the States or as aired over here in the UK

Yeah but why pace?
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    Pace is just, well what it means.

A rate of movement, especially in stepping, walking, etc.: to walk at a brisk pace of five miles an hour.
    A rate of activity, progress, growth, performance, etc.; tempo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    I asked about this on another thread , but I still can't see what it means. So , for instance in the US they show a series once a week and in the UK twice a week? Why does it matter if you cannot see it in the US
  • player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It matters as to when to discuss an episode without spoilers.
    eg a program airs in the US ahead of its UK airing so you can discuss those episodes in the US pace thread without spoiling it for those watching at "UK pace"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if a show is screened in usa and uk.....it may be several weeks in front in USA.

so if you were discussing about week 6 episodes as you watch USA version , then us in UK would be all angry as you are discussing things we have not seen as we are watching at UK Pace....you are watching on USA Pace
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    player1 wrote: »
    It matters as to when to discuss an episode without spoilers.
    eg a program airs in the US ahead of its UK airing so you can discuss those episodes in the US pace thread without spoiling it for those watching at "UK pace"

But how many people who come on here watch the US version? About 3? Just put " no spoilers" in the title thread. I'm particularly talking about the Danish/Swedish dramas. It just seems a strange and unnecessary addition to the title
  • Mo@realityMo@reality Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    But how many people who come on here watch the US version? About 3? Just put " no spoilers" in the title thread. I'm particularly talking about the Danish/Swedish dramas. It just seems a strange and unnecessary addition to the title

I watch everything at US Pace. For example, next week is the season finale (ep22) of Once upon a time in the US. It's only just started in the UK. Same with True Blood, Season 4's just finished in the UK, Season 5 starts in June in the US. I'm not waiting another 8 months to watch it.
    Forum Member
    Mo@reality wrote: »
    I watch everything at US Pace. For example, next week is the season finale (ep22) of Once upon a time in the US. It's only just started in the UK. Same with True Blood, Season 4's just finished in the UK, Season 5 starts in June in the US. I'm not waiting another 8 months to watch it.

So do you download the show or watch them through a streaming service?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goober wrote: »
    So do you download the show or watch them through a streaming service?

With the couple of shows I watch at US Pace, I download them and put them on a USB stick which I then put in my BluRay player so I can watch them "properly" on my TV.

I know many people do apparently watch shows directly online though.
  • Mo@realityMo@reality Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the couple of shows I watch at US Pace, I download them and put them on a USB stick which I then put in my BluRay player so I can watch them "properly" on my TV.

I download and watch either on my laptop or I save them onto a hard drive and watch through my PS3.
    Forum Member

Know any good, safe and reliable sites to download from?
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think you will find there are a lot more than 3 people that watch at US pace. You just need to look at some of the big US pace threads. There are a lot more people contributing to them than 3.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep all the while depriving the people who make the shows of any reward for their hard work. Do you also steal DVDs from HMV?

I can't believe anyone cannot figure out what US pace means, the education system in this country is a joke :p.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    integral 32gb evo usb sticks, right ?! :D
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep all the while depriving the people who make the shows of any reward for their hard work. Do you also steal DVDs from HMV?

I can't believe anyone cannot figure out what US pace means, the education system in this country is a joke :p.

It surely is. Some people even conflate copyright infringement and theft!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    integral 32gb evo usb sticks, right ?! :D

Nah, i've got a generic 8gb PNY stick I got from Argos for about £8 quid. Does me fine. I only really watch Castle and Dexter at US Pace anyway.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What you want is a 4TB NAS drive so you can stream what you want to your TV whenever you want.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i used to do this, before i discovered VLC player for my mac. now i d/l them and stick the good eps on my external hard drive
  • Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex. wrote: »
    i used to do this, before i discovered VLC player for my mac. now i d/l them and stick the good eps on my external hard drive

I use that programme to watch my TV shows as well (if I'm not watching via my DVD player).

The other benefit of downloading TV episodes is that the adverts are always cut out.

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    What you want is a 4TB NAS drive so you can stream what you want to your TV whenever you want.

That would be like using a tank to squash a fly :)
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I didn't believe it either. I thought the OP was kidding.:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    I didn't believe it either. I thought the OP was kidding.:eek:

I don't think that's very fair on the OP to be honest. Not everyone is up on the latest acronyms and things like that. I think there was a thread in GD not last week or something like that that was called something along the lines of "Really obvious things you've only just become aware of".

It may seem completely commonplace to many people but it doesn't mean it's commonplace to everyone
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,664
    Forum Member
    Esot-eric wrote: »
    It surely is. Some people even conflate copyright infringement and theft!
    Or confuse. Or even better, juxtapose :D

(Oh the irony. Conflate being the wrong word there are the two ideas are not combined.)
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I asked about this on another thread , but I still can't see what it means. So , for instance in the US they show a series once a week and in the UK twice a week? Why does it matter if you cannot see it in the US

It's nothing to do with the frequency of the broadcasts but the timing. Many US shows don't air on UK television for months after their original broadcast date. It's only since HBO and Sky Atlantic started showing things a few days after the original air date that meant two threads may not be needed.

In the Cult section I would say most of us, also for a lot of US shows, most of us :)
    I don't think that's very fair on the OP to be honest. Not everyone is up on the latest acronyms and things like that. I think there was a thread in GD not last week or something like that that was called something along the lines of "Really obvious things you've only just become aware of".

It may seem completely commonplace to many people but it doesn't mean it's commonplace to everyone

But pace isn't an acronym, it's a word and it's a fairly obvious one imho.

I watch everything US pace, I cannot stand having to wait for what can be months for some shows to air on UK TV. Plus a lot of US shows don't even air on UK TV at all.
This discussion has been closed.