Options

Dog panting as soon as walk starts

rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
Forum Member
My dog has started to pant pretty much from the moment we start walking. She's well behaved and doesn't kick up a fuss when I put the lead on her, but almost always as soon as I take her out she's panting. Is there any reason for this? I take her out twice a day for about 45 minutes each time. She's a Yorkie/King Charles spaniel cross and has just turned one.

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Mollie has always been a panter, she does it when she is excited or pleased.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    king charles often can have respiratory problems so could be related to that

you may want to get her vet checked

also remember it can be very hot out for dogs that do not have the best breathing in the world the likes of pugs, boxers, mastiff types etc so walk very early and late where possible and not for too long periods, 45 minutes may be too much for your little dog you may be better breaking them into more walks
  • Options
    Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember that dogs do not sweat ( funny though that my dogs feet smell of sweaty socks:D) so panting is their way of keeping cool. Is your dog slightly overweight? As that my be the problem
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they do sweat through their feet as well as having scent glands between their toes, so there's your answer :p

our dogs have always smelled kind of like popcorn :D
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    My Mollie has always been a panter, she does it when she is excited or pleased.
    Both our dogs are the same (a lab and a bitzer), the lab starts panting as soon we pick up the lead.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cavs also are prone to heart problems.

I really would take her to the vet to get her heart checked. Could be nothing but in this cooler weather I would be concerned if a one year old dog suddenly starts panting with exertion.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is she an active dog? Coz if she does other things without panting, like going upstairs and playing, ie when her hearts needs to beat more, it could be her heart, but if she pants only when she goes out it might be excitement.

But I'd get her checked out. Our dog started slowing down and we put it down to age. Cutting a long story short, she has an enlarged heart and heart murmer and we have to fork out £60 a month for meds. The meds work though and she isn't perfect but she's much better now.

So it maybe excitement, or it could be a heart problem, best get her looked at :)