Options

When are the Manhattan Freetime Boxes Coming Out?

AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I read that Manhattan were going to make Freetime+ boxes, but that was a couple of years ago. Have these been cancelled now because there seems to be no news regarding this. I would like to buy one because I like Manhattan as a manufacturer.

Comments

• Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't you contact them directly and ask?
  • Options
    ClemClem Posts: 1,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think that Manhattan have any plans for new Freesat kit, or Freeview for that matter. They were supposed to be offering Freeview Play compatible kit along with new Freesat kit, but nothing's surfaced. I wouldn't be looking at Manhattan to supply my TV hardware, I think that they're on the way out. I hope that I'm wrong, because that would only leave Humax in the market, which isn't ideal.

Clem
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clem wrote: »
    I don't think that Manhattan have any plans for new Freesat kit, or Freeview for that matter. They were supposed to be offering Freeview Play compatible kit along with new Freesat kit, but nothing's surfaced. I wouldn't be looking at Manhattan to supply my TV hardware, I think that they're on the way out. I hope that I'm wrong, because that would only leave Humax in the market, which isn't ideal.

Clem

Thanks. I guess that for most, if they wanted a Freesat or Freeview box, they'd have it by now. Shame though, because I really liked the Manhattan Freesat+ box.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish more manufacturers would incorporate Freesat into their TVs. Especially at the smaller sizes.

It's quite infuriating when you have / buy a TV with a built in satellite tuner, but it doesn't have Freesat capability (yes, I'm fully aware you can tune it in manually, but that's obviously a non starter)
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    It's quite infuriating when you have / buy a TV with a built in satellite tuner, but it doesn't have Freesat capability

Unfortunately the UK is only one market in the world, so making specific models solely for that single market isn't really very viable, when you can make FTA ones are cover a vastly greater market for less money.

It doesn't help that a manufacturer has to pay Freesat for the privilege, and then comply with fairly strict conditions as well.
  • Options
    ian-dian-d Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clem wrote: »

Clem

You are thankfully wrong, Manhattan still plan a Freetime released. They've just discontinued the HD-S2 and have a new zapper due out at the end of the year (hopefully). I have seen the production example, so it is real, albeit very delayed! The recorder is due next year though.

Just wish they had continued to HD-S2 a little longer, but sadly Freesat prevented this and further delays on the S3 have meant no overlap and probably at the worst time of year.
  • Options
    ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ian-d wrote: »
    You are thankfully wrong, Manhattan still plan a Freetime released..

Are you sure ... Freesat have killed off the freetime brand and replaced with Smart TV branding!?!
  • Options
    ClemClem Posts: 1,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ian-d wrote: »
    You are thankfully wrong, Manhattan still plan a Freetime released. They've just discontinued the HD-S2 and have a new zapper due out at the end of the year (hopefully). I have seen the production example, so it is real, albeit very delayed! The recorder is due next year though.

Just wish they had continued to HD-S2 a little longer, but sadly Freesat prevented this and further delays on the S3 have meant no overlap and probably at the worst time of year.

I hope that you're right. We need more than just Humax supplying Freesat kit. However, having waited this long with nothing new from the company for a number of years, you'll forgive me if I don't hold my breath in anticipation. :D

Clem
  • Options
    ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Humax are currently the only manufacturer of freesat pvrs or boxes. Have Manhattan decided to abandon freesat because of the current low sales volumes?