Options

Pay to fix a tv aerial put up only a few months ago?

Brucie BonusBrucie Bonus Posts: 482
Forum Member
Due to stormy conditions my friends newish tv aerial has loosened and hanging over the edge of the roof. The guys that had placed the new digital aerial only put it up two months ago. She phoned the same guys but they are busy at the moment. There has been no talk of how much it will cost but as it was storm damage my friend won't be covered. Should the workers have fixed the aerial better, so she shouldn't have to pay? My friend checked other aerials in the close and they remained fixed in position.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say that she won't get anywhere trying to get it done for nothing as it is storm damage. She could try but I am sure in the companies T&C's that it will state that they won't cover storm damage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would say that she won't get anywhere trying to get it done for nothing as it is storm damage. She could try but I am sure in the companies T&C's that it will state that they won't cover storm damage.

That will be true. Hope they don't charge her the full price.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That will be true. Hope they don't charge her the full price.

They will more than likely charge full fitting price.
  • Options
    That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    It depends on how severe the storms were. If they were storms that could be reasonably expected in your area during the life of the aerial then I'd say that the original job wasn't suitable for the location. Since the other aerials in the area appear not to have suffered then I'd say that was the case.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has to be one hell of a storm to blow down a newish TV aerial that has been fitted correctly.

Unfortunately some installers use wall brackets that are not strong enough for the mast and aerial. Brackets that are are designed to be screwed to the wall with four screws they just use two and fit aerials on poles that are not of sufficient diameter for the size of aerial. Some also screw aerials to wooden or plastic fascias rather than use a cranked pole and a wall fitting. If a chimney lashing has not been fixed correctly, that can cause failure too.

Added to all this many also used cheap nasty tinny contract aerials they buy in for a fiver and then charge a couple of hundred quid to do a botch job. There are decent aerial installers about but a hell of a lot of cowboys unfortunately and they are no doubt having a field day with replacing many aerials that in many cases do not want replacing.

In my opinion there is no way that aerial should have blown down unless it was a bodge install.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    It has to be one hell of a storm to blow down a newish TV aerial that has been fitted correctly.

Unfortunately some installers use wall brackets that are not strong enough for the mast and aerial. Brackets that are are designed to be screwed to the wall with four screws they just use two and fit aerials on poles that are not of sufficient diameter for the size of aerial. Some also screw aerials to wooden or plastic fascias rather than use a cranked pole and a wall fitting. If a chimney lashing has not been fixed correctly, that can cause failure too.

Added to all this many also used cheap nasty tinny contract aerials they buy in for a fiver and then charge a couple of hundred quid to do a botch job. There are decent aerial installers about but a hell of a lot of cowboys unfortunately and they are no doubt having a field day with replacing many aerials that in many cases do not want replacing.

In my opinion there is no way that aerial should have blown down unless it was a bodge install.

agree with all of the above , there was an aerial fitted a few doors up from me recently , it has been put on a 6 foot pole on the stack when there was no reason whatsoever to do it , it wobbles like mad if a spuggie dares land on it , and it was fitted to an old dears house as well , so when it goes wrong you can guess the rest :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    Did any other aerials in a simular position in your street blow down? Whilst it was pretty windy and you can't do much for "acts of god", if you were the only aerial effected you must have cause for complaint that it was not attached well enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No other aerials appeared to come down that stormy night.

My friend told me that it cost £44 to put up the new aerial. The guy who fixed it said, if it does come down again it will be our responsibilty. So good, next time would be free of charge!! Hope there's not a next time!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member

My friend told me that it cost £44 to put up the new aerial. The guy who fixed it said, if it does come down again it will be our responsibilty. So good, next time would be free of charge!! Hope there's not a next time!!

£44 to put an aerial up , that guy is seriously cheap , or fitting garbage that will fail quickly :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just one other thing, Digital aerials don't exist. It's a scam by the installers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had any aerial up for 20 years with no problems.

When Freeview's predecessor ( this was years ago and it was OnDigital ) and if you bought a receiver they gave you a new aerial if your old one wasn't suitable.

Anyway I got a new aerial fitted and paid for by OnDigital and six months later it blew down.

I contacted the aerial people but when they came back to put it up again they charged the installation fee as they said that strong winds weren't covered in their guarantee.

Well the winds weren't any stronger than they had been when I had the old aerial up for the last 20 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    £44 to put an aerial up , that guy is seriously cheap , or fitting garbage that will fail quickly :eek:

His company put up the aerial in the first place, so I think it would be very cheeky to get her to pay much more than she did!!