Are virgin media investing in cabling new areas?

shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Its frustrating not having the choice of Virgin Media cable in my area.

If Branson and Co are not investing in new areas, then I can only imagine its too expensive to do so and its much cheaper getting existing customers to pay up for more services.

To Sky's credit they have spent a lot on investment over the last decade or so and have gained many customers because of it.

Are Virgin simply not interested in expanding their customer base?

Comments

• sps1013sps1013 Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Virgin are cabling new areas in particular new builds so probably not helpful in your case.

The have got agreements with 3 main house builders to cable new developments which includes internal telephone and tv points. My developer was one of them.

Another, different developer close to me has got the same setup except that the show home is kitted out with TiVo and V HD boxes running virgin tv so customers can experience the offerings.

It's quite a ploy by them to be honest but sadly I think it's easier to cable a new development than it is to cable existing areas.

Sorry it doesn't help your cause but it does indicate how virgin are investing.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    To Sky's credit they have spent a lot on investment over the last decade or so and have gained many customers because of it.
    Virgin's predecessor companies have invested £13bn in establishing the network which, whilst I'm an admirer of Sky, is probably more than that company invested.
    Virgin has said it will explore ways to provide its services outside its cabled areas and it does provide and ADSL service but it's not competitive. So, I think the answer is new build or nothing in terms of future cabling but if technology changes, this situation might too. Never say never!
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    Its frustrating not having the choice of Virgin Media cable in my area.

If Branson and Co are not investing in new areas, then I can only imagine its too expensive to do so and its much cheaper getting existing customers to pay up for more services.

Are Virgin simply not interested in expanding their customer base?

But that spend is not about making their network bigger, as they don't need to, if you can see the satellite, you can receive the signal (obviously within reason, fringe areas need bigger dishes), so new customers just need a dish, whereas for VM, they need to physically connect you to their network. I think you will find VM are doing just as much "development" as Sky (VM Anywhere, Tivo, etc), just that has nothing to do with reach, they are 2 seperate things.
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be surprised if we ever see cable added to new areas outside of new builds as its just so expensive and complicated to organise and dig up roads and pavements to lay the cables. Even more so these days as regulation is a lot stricter and tied up in even more red tape.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sps1013 wrote: »
    Virgin are cabling new areas in particular new builds so probably not helpful in your case.

The have got agreements with 3 main house builders to cable new developments which includes internal telephone and tv points. My developer was one of them.

Another, different developer close to me has got the same setup except that the show home is kitted out with TiVo and V HD boxes running virgin tv so customers can experience the offerings.

It's quite a ploy by them to be honest but sadly I think it's easier to cable a new development than it is to cable existing areas.

Who are the main 3 housebuilders? Barratt, Redrow and....

Our development is Taylor Wimpey, VM cable is present in the rest of our road but they didn't bother putting it in the new development, crazy! I've contacted the cable my street team and they said it'd be too expensive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *MikeB* wrote: »
    Who are the main 3 housebuilders? Barratt, Redrow and....

Our development is Taylor Wimpey, VM cable is present in the rest of our road but they didn't bother putting it in the new development, crazy! I've contacted the cable my street team and they said it'd be too expensive.

...Taylor Wimpey.

It does depend on when the build was planned I believe. When our new build was in the construction phase I had numerous meetings with the Virgin Media planner who was always on site and we discussed the in's and out's of it.

It is only a recent agreement so possibly some wont have it. The other Taylor Wimpey development we looked at didn't have it but it was commenced about 9 months earlier than ours.

I have no experience of Redrow but Barratt is the other developer.

Davidsons dont have an agreement either as 1 mile from us is a Davidsons development and they only have BT pre installed as is customary.
  • IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    Our Taylor Wimpey one is brand new (in fact it isn't finished) and is in an already cabled road. No VM.
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    I think Virgin Media and BT should come to an agreement where they can share each others network. VM is then guaranteed to reach nearly the whole country by the time Infinity is rolled out and then BT won't have to worry about putting fibre up in areas Vm already supply.

Pigs will fly first though.
  • jake19801957jake19801957 Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a few years back virgin but cable top and bottom of our street and even over the rd but never put cable on our side of the street grrrrr
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Virgin Media and BT should come to an agreement where they can share each others network. VM is then guaranteed to reach nearly the whole country by the time Infinity is rolled out and then BT won't have to worry about putting fibre up in areas Vm already supply.

Pigs will fly first though.

The huge technical differences between the two networks would mean it's like the water and gas companies getting together to use the same pipes.

Plus Virgin would probably get the better deal - BT's network is capable of a lot more than Virgin's is.
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    The huge technical differences between the two networks would mean it's like the water and gas companies getting together to use the same pipes.

Plus Virgin would probably get the better deal - BT's network is capable of a lot more than Virgin's is.

Yeah I know all of the above, but it would be great if they could but like I said, pigs will fly before this would happen.
  • Jason PerlowJason Perlow Posts: 27
    Forum Member

There are quite a few "new build" housing estates near me, that are right next to existing cabled streets, and there isn't even a "CATV" manhole cover in sight, anywhere in the "new build" estates! :( The "new build" estates have been around since at least 2008/2009, so why have Virgin Media totally ignored these "new build" estates? :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Perhaps uptake of their services in the existing estates was not high enough for them to think it was worth cabling the new estates.
  • nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I don't want VM to put in expensive cabling in new areas if the current customers have to pay for it via higher bills, especially if there isn't the take-up for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are quite a few "new build" housing estates near me, that are right next to existing cabled streets, and there isn't even a "CATV" manhole cover in sight, anywhere in the "new build" estates! :( The "new build" estates have been around since at least 2008/2009, so why have Virgin Media totally ignored these "new build" estates? :mad:

Who are the developers and when were the sites first prepared for development?
  • Jason PerlowJason Perlow Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Who are the developers and when were the sites first prepared for development?
    Barrats Homes, and the sites were first prepared for development in 2007.
  • davetechdavetech Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Not sure, maybe they are trying to get a 3rd party to install for them, but i don;t think they are having much look,

There pitch was,

''Will you double our network? at no extra Cost'' :) lolsss,

unless they can crank the cost up again for everyone, there will be very little expansion
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barrats Homes, and the sites were first prepared for development in 2007.

That date was before the agreement hence no cable :cry: