Options

Metal Gear Rising opinions??

kezokezo Posts: 11,086
Forum Member
✭✭
Hey all I was wondering what people thought of the new Metal Gear game?

I recently played the "demo" version of it and let's just say I am slightly baffled at the concept. I was expecting it to be going through similar storylines to Snake but the way its been done makes think I am playing either "street fighter" or the way Sonic the hedgehog is nowadays! :eek:

Comments

• Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Very good but has a bad camera and the gameplay is a bit samey. It's not a Metal Gear Solid game, just an action based spin-off. It has stealth sections but they're not very good in comparison.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is Metal Gear RISING an all out hack n slash adventure game and has been since it was announced several years

Metal Gear SOLID is a stealth action game with snake

Once you get past that, its really down to whether you like hack n slash games, if you like games like god of war, devil may cry etc then you'll like the new metal gear
  • Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    ^I'd dispute that tbh. I love God of War but find MGR to be pretty awful to play.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^I'd dispute that tbh. I love God of War but find MGR to be pretty awful to play.

What was awful about if you don't mind me asking?

Most people seem to struggle with the parrying which once mastered is better than any normal button
  • Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    The story, the characters, the fighting system itself, the fact that it has possibly the worst 3D camera I've ever had the misfortune to experience for more than five minutes...it all adds up to a miserable gaming experience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The story, the characters, the fighting system itself, the fact that it has possibly the worst 3D camera I've ever had the misfortune to experience for more than five minutes...it all adds up to a miserable gaming experience.

Fair enough i guess if you dislike those things you won't like the game

Aside from the camera which maybe messed up less than ten times i'm pretty much disagree

I mean in terms of story at least i knew what the hell was going on for once
  • Options
    eyesw/outafaceeyesw/outaface Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Fair enough i guess if you dislike those things you won't like the game

Aside from the camera which maybe messed up less than ten times i'm pretty much disagree

I mean in terms of story at least i knew what the hell was going on for once

Disappointed after playing the demo. Seems very generic and the stealth aspect is nearly useless when the enemies are fairly simple to beat.

Not overly impressed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointed after playing the demo. Seems very generic and the stealth aspect is nearly useless when the enemies are fairly simple to beat.

Not overly impressed.

Blade mode is generic :confused:

Its not a stealth game it doesn't matter if the stealth isn't perfect
  • Options
    Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was fairly run of the mill IMO.

The blade mode was nicely implemented and the control it gave you over the blade was really good.

I liked the designs of the boss fights, but the Metal Gear series has always had interesting and unique boss battles.

The game was just too short, my first runthrough clocked in at 4.5 hours, I know it has replay value if you want to tackle the higher difficultes and get the better rankings, but just over 4 hours for a story is bad.

The camera was atrocious. It was always flitting about all over the place and getting stuck behind things, during the final boss it was especially bad, getting stuck behind the rubble and leaving me unable to see what was actually happening.

The stealth mechanic shouldn't have been implemented unless they can do it properly, which they didn't. Yes, obviously isn't a stealth game, but the sections were so half assed and poor.

One of my biggest irks was the point where
    You refight all of the bosses again

I know the production team had a lot to do on a short space of time once the game was outsourced to Platinum, but that section just smacked of trying to stretch out an already short game. It was silly and redundant.

On the plus side, it had a great soundtrack that really fit with the fighting mechanics.
  • Options
    Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't overly impressed. Still don't like raiden as a character. Still think its bloody stupid that he wears heels.

Action was fun, story wasnt up to par and much too short.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it play a bit like the devil may cry series heard it was a bit hack n slash.
  • Options
    ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it but I'm a fan of the Ninja Gaiden Sigma games so I can take a bit of punishment.

This is the simplest story to follow in the entire Metal Gear world. I got a nice surprise when one if the characters from MGS4 appeared. I knew someone from Raiden's past had to be in it but I didn't who it was going to be.

Not overly impressed.
    They are... on Easy/Normal difficulty which are your only options in the demo.

Play the game on Hard difficulty and you will be grateful for the stealth options in some areas.

Complete Hard difficulty to unlock Very Hard and the game gets serious. Not only are enemies tougher, there are more of them in every encounter.

Complete Very Hard to unlock Revengeance difficulty.

Complete Revengeance difficulty without taking any damage and tell us how easy it is.
  • Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will say from the "demo" I will agree the soundtrack available for demo is really good, but I wasn't expecting to what I was playing compared to the other MGS games, I'll maybe give the demo another go and see if I can swing round to it. I don't mind Raiden at all in this game - to me it looks like a new chapter in the series (correct me here), but maybe if they do make another one they'll improve on things.

In the demo version I was expecting more of a "story" to follow, but to me it looked like I landed on an island trying to be "stealth" get spotted and "blade" the enemies which took quite alot and then go on to the "boss". The only thing I find annoying and a turn off with me whilst on demo was the "hits" to the enemy :confused: (in the previous there was nothing of that sort in it... you kicked, you punched, you laser gunned (rex MGS4) but there was no "hit counter" that put me off and thats where I thought it was not MGS but "street fighter" instead.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it as hard as the Ninja Gaiden series that was just insanely difficult.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fantastic game.

if you like hack and slash games with a bit of originality and superb soundtrack then mgr is for.

i never had this much fun playing a game for a while.

zandentsu. slash and grab. love this mechanic
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob2005 wrote: »
    Is it as hard as the Ninja Gaiden series that was just insanely difficult.
    Anything above Normal difficulty, yes, although if you can master the parry system you will save yourself a lot of frustration.
  • Options
    General ZodGeneral Zod Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Needs more nanomachines.
  • Options
    fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't like the demo and I'm a big Bayonetta fan. The camera was just appalling really, totally spoiled it for me.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't like Metal Gear Solid, so I might give this a try.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like it. I wasn't expecting a MGS type game as I know this is not stealthy. But the camera ruins it for me and I just find parts of it way too fast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    best game of 2013 already
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £3.29 on PSN
  • Options