Options

Waitrose green tokens

impartialobservimpartialobserv Posts: 1,324
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With apologies in advance for starting such a trite thread...

I haven't shopped at Waitrose for ages as there isn't one in our area. Well, I was away last week and did some shopping at a Waitrose, and was given a green plastic token when I paid at the checkout. Could someone please tell me what these are? Just curious, you understand. :o

Comments

• Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they basically give money to local charities, and there are three charities for customers to choose from. use your green token to vote for the one you prefer. there should be boxes somewhere behind the checkouts or by the door.

quite a good idea really - local charities benefit, and customers have a say in where it goes.

Iain
  • Options
    impartialobservimpartialobserv Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iain wrote: »
    they basically give money to local charities, and there are three charities for customers to choose from. use your green token to vote for the one you prefer. there should be boxes somewhere behind the checkouts or by the door.

quite a good idea really - local charities benefit, and customers have a say in where it goes.

Iain

Great, thanks for clearing that one up :)
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good scheme. I'm surprised how often the charities are ones which I like the sound of - a place for kids to learn an instrument, for example - so it's good to have a say in where the money goes.
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    It's a good scheme. I'm surprised how often the charities are ones which I like the sound of - a place for kids to learn an instrument, for example - so it's good to have a say in where the money goes.

I agree - I like that they've chosen smaller local charities that usually wouldn't get many corporate donations.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I take the token and put it in the bin.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

:eek: I actually believe you as well!:D
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all the charities as chosen by the employees as well
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how much a token is actually 'worth' to the charity? I only ask as it seems to make no difference to the amount of shopping you pay for and because i shop with my children, the staff often give me an extra one for the other child to have.

I was there the other week and an eldery woman saw what great delight my daughter had at posting one of the tokens so she gave my daughter hers and turned to walk away. I felt i had to call after her and ask if she minded what charity slot it went in - not sure why as she had already turned away and walked off!
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,170
    Forum Member
    My son loves it when we go in there, he adores sticking the token into his particular choice of box! All rather curious really! :D
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    Do all three charities get cash?

I thought they gave a donation only to the charity that had the most green tokens after a set time.

When I use the Surbiton Waitrose, I put the token into the box with the least amount to give them a hand up. Shoppers tend to give to the local 'big' charity, like the Princess Alice Hospice.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought they gave a donation only to the charity that had the most green tokens after a set time.

When I use the Surbiton Waitrose, I put the token into the box with the least amount to give them a hand up. Shoppers tend to give to the local 'big' charity, like the Princess Alice Hospice.

all 3 charities get the cash

http://www.johnlewispartnership.co.uk/Display.aspx?MasterId=a4e17b78-fb5b-40d2-9499-46154da7dd91&NavigationId=1235
  • Options
    I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member

That's really rather silly of you. Why do you do that?
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ooo get you and your maverick ways.

Iain :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you generally have difficulty in framing sentences ?

I suppose " No, I don't want one, thank you " is no more complicated, verbally, than ... ooh, say " I said butter, not margarine, please "

Happenchance you need to sign up for self assertiveness classes at the local tech, innit :p
  • Options
    ontheloop54ontheloop54 Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're for playing Tiddlywinks :)
  • Options
    tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iain wrote: »

Iain
    Yes, our local Waitrose has them. There's normally one of the 3 charities that you feel like supporting. They seem to change them every few weeks.
  • Options
    Knuxs7Knuxs7 Posts: 3,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Haha, that' was me too! :D I hardly had time to read about them before feeling sorry for the "underdog" and dropping it into the smaller pile, but I feel good after reading the post below as I thought the most tokens charity got all of the money.

welwynrose wrote: »
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tanstaafl wrote: »
    Yes, our local Waitrose has them. There's normally one of the 3 charities that you feel like supporting. They seem to change them every few weeks.

They do. It give more local good causes chance to benefit :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tanstaafl wrote: »

The boxes in our Waitrose change at the start of every month.

I like the fact that not only are they small charities which would fly under the radar normally, but that anyone can nominate a cause they think is deserving.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Hi :)

I'm a waitrose 'partner'... some customers really can't be bothered with the token thing, but some are almost offended by it. The other day, for example, I handed the receipt and token to a customer, who had a look of disgust on her face when she handed the token back to me. I was on the checkout right next to the box (i could literally touch the token box) so in a friendly/joking manner I said "Oh go on, it's only by there, it's for a good cause" and she got angry and started saying that she disagreed with the whole thing and she thought it was an appalling idea?! :rolleyes:
    Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be? I mean obviously, because I work for the company I automatically see the positives to the community matters scheme... but seriously... how could this be seen as an appalling idea? baaah
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I asked the checkout lady if it was a parking token :o