Madonna: Is she now becoming ridiculous?

Comments

• glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    As a madonna fan I think her popularity at the moments seems to be very high. The press seem to be on her side, she's getting good publicity and quite a bit of support since her Brits performance. A lot of support seems to have been garnered from the whole R1 ageism mess too.

I find it bizarre when people suggest she is struggling. Far from it imo.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »

I find it bizarre when people suggest she is struggling. Far from it imo.

The very fact that there are umpteen threads discussing Madonna suggests that struggling and irrelevant she most certainly is not!
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never been much of a fan of Madge, I think though that her heyday was the late 80s early 90s. Back then she produced some great music, great pop. However she seems to have run out of steam these days. For the past ten years at least, her songs have been very samey, and she has reverted to the schtick she was doing 25 years ago in an effort to be provocative, and outrageous. Is this now very tedious?

Her recent comments about ageism, and her anger that people are commenting on her age also reveal her total lack of self-awareness. No, there is nothing tragic with being 56, however when you are still using the same imagery, and going out of your way to appear much younger, of course people will mock. SHE seems to be the one most concerned about her age.

So, is Madonna a genuine musical artiste, or simply a tiresome, and predictable publicity seeker, with a huge ego?

Shes both. And whats more shes always been both.

I suspect youre well under 56 OP?? Trust me, by the time you get there you wont want anyone telling you how you should & shouldnt behave to be "dignified" & "age appropriate". You dont just suddenly change personality overnight the second you hit 50, you're essentially the same person you were in your 20's/30's with a heck of a lot more life experience.

I dont hear writers or actors told how to behave in theoir 50's so why is a singer any different?

Madonna is a trailblazer- firstly for women, then the gay community, now- forced upon her by the "crime" of aging- the "grey" community.
    Madonna is herself & doesnt give a shit what others think. This is a "no change" attitude from her 20's/30's/40's. Good on her I say.

Nobody- not society, not anyone - should TELL you how to behave "age appropriately". You'll probably feel exactly the same way madonna does when you hit 56 OP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul_P wrote: »
    I have mixed feelings about Madge, she was my pin up when I was 11, I'm now 40 and you have to admire her for her stamina and dedication to still be going all these years later, but part of me wished she'd stop trying to be the sex kitten, that last topless photo thing she did a few weeks ago was cringeworthy.

Nothing wrong with growing old, but you can do it gracefully.

Yet Helen Mirren, Sophia Loren & Joanna Lumley are praised for being "sexy" in their 60's or even older. But then they are a lot more demure.
    Demure is not what Madonna is about. Never has been.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flanno wrote: »
    I can't understand these ageing female & male pop stars who insist on working right up to the day 'til their legs give away & collapse onstage (God forbid!).

Surely their pension funds must be rolling in MILLIONS of dollars/pounds enough to keep them happy and enjoy the rewards of their hard work in their twilight years to come?

But working gives them a sense of purpose & lets face it PLEASURE & emotional fulfillment. I can understand for most of us the lure of a shitload of money would make us not want to work, but if you're in the entertainment industry work is almost like an addiction. Madonna doesnt strike anyone as a the kind of person who is happy to just sit back & chill. If her Instagram is anything to go by she has recently taken a skiing holiday so its not as if she never has a break. But an extended one? Unlikely from her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »

I suspect youre well under 56 OP?? Trust me, by the time you get there you wont want anyone telling you how you should & shouldnt behave to be "dignified" & "age appropriate". You dont just suddenly change personality overnight the second you hit 50, you're essentially the same person you were in your 20's/30's with a heck of a lot more life experience.

I dont hear writers or actors told how to behave in theoir 50's so why is a singer any different?

Madonna is a trailblazer- firstly for women, then the gay community, now- forced upon her by the "crime" of aging- the "grey" community.
    Madonna is herself & doesnt give a shit what others think. This is a "no change" attitude from her 20's/30's/40's. Good on her I say.

Nobody- not society, not anyone - should TELL you how to behave "age appropriately". You'll probably feel exactly the same way madonna does when you hit 56 OP.
    Yet Helen Mirren, Sophia Loren & Joanna Lumley are praised for being "sexy" in their 60's or even older. But then they are a lot more demure.
    Demure is not what Madonna is about. Never has been.

Bravo! When you think you're hitting your head against a wall, someone comes along and sums up exactly what Madonna is all about.

In the words of her song:

This is who I am,
    You Can Like It Or Not.
    You can love me, or leave me,
    But I'm never going to stop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I completely disagree. I think her attitude is absolutely spot on. Her daughter in particular, seems a very headstrong young woman (from what I can gather) and if Madonna were to say 'bad evil drugs, don't ever take them', I suspect it would elicit a rebellious response. I think it is far better to discuss drugs rationally and to not encourage drug taking (of course) but to discuss your own experiences honestly and openly - which is what she has done. In the industry she's in she will have been exposed to more drugs than a Colombian warlord so I think it's eminently sensible to be realistic. Drug taking and experimentation is a part of growing up for most people nowadays and not everyone that has the odd spliff or line of coke ends up dead with a syringe in their arm.

I agree. If I had a child I'd probably have exactly the same response as Madonna. Frankly telling kids they "cant" do something usually elicts the opposite reaction. And shes right about not wanting to be a hypocrite.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never been much of a fan of Madge, I think though that her heyday was the late 80s early 90s. Back then she produced some great music, great pop. However she seems to have run out of steam these days. For the past ten years at least, her songs have been very samey, and she has reverted to the schtick she was doing 25 years ago in an effort to be provocative, and outrageous. Is this now very tedious?

Her recent comments about ageism, and her anger that people are commenting on her age also reveal her total lack of self-awareness. No, there is nothing tragic with being 56, however when you are still using the same imagery, and going out of your way to appear much younger, of course people will mock. SHE seems to be the one most concerned about her age.

So, is Madonna a genuine musical artiste, or simply a tiresome, and predictable publicity seeker, with a huge ego?

This.:)
  • Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is so funny that many people on this thread have totally misunderstood my post. Where did I say she should act 'age appropriate' or 'dignified' you lot have just taken it for granted that is what I meant. No, I am talking about a woman who cannot seem to adapt or cannot develop as an artist beyond the sex kitten, attention grabbing antics of her earlier years. Same old, same old. I am saying SHE is the really ageist one because she feels she has to appear younger to please her audience. Here's a question for you all, if she walked on that stage, with minimum of make up and looking every bit her 56 years, AND without sexy dancers around her, how would you react? seriously!
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is so funny that many people on this thread have totally misunderstood my post. Where did I say she should act 'age appropriate' or 'dignified' you lot have just taken it for granted that is what I meant. No, I am talking about a woman who cannot seem to adapt or cannot develop as an artist beyond the sex kitten, attention grabbing antics of her earlier years. Same old, same old. I am saying SHE is the really ageist one because she feels she has to appear younger to please her audience. Here's a question for you all, if she walked on that stage, with minimum of make up and looking every bit her 56 years, AND without sexy dancers around her, how would you react? seriously!

You could ask the same question of ANY popstar. I'm sure Kylie, Katy Perry, Beyonce, Rihanna et al would look incredibly different without the make up and costumes. If they were to go on stage with no make up on and singing acapella with absolutely NO accompaniment or 'extras' it would be pretty weird. & almost certainly shit.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember when she did that duet with Justin Timberlake? I thought she looked ridiculous, like a drunk Auntie provocatively dancing with a young bloke at a wedding.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    The simple answer to your question is YES! I thought she looked ridiculous in that outfit, showing off her bottom that had to be supported to look perky rather than flabby! BUT I also think people like the Rolling Stones are pathetic too. Mick prancing around on stage going on about Satisfaction in his 70s is just ridiculous. Paul McCartney, dyed hair, too young clothes trying to get down with the young kids is sad too. Why can't these stars fade away and leave us with memories of when they were brilliant and sexy!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could ask the same question of ANY popstar. I'm sure Kylie, Katy Perry, Beyonce, Rihanna et al would look incredibly different without the make up and costumes. If they were to go on stage with no make up on and singing acapella with absolutely NO accompaniment or 'extras' it would be pretty weird. & almost certainly shit.

EXACTLY all those artists are reliant on an image deeply sexualised. And most, arguably, have little talent for singing, it's the extras that people want to see. Madge can never get old because her loving fans won't let her. She knows this, she's locked into a brand image that she cannot let go, even if she wanted to. The fans are ageist too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EXACTLY all those artists are reliant on an image deeply sexualised. And most, arguably, have little talent for singing, it's the extras that people want to see. Madge can never get old because her loving fans won't let her. She knows this, she's locked into a brand image that she cannot let go, even if she wanted to. The fans are ageist too.

Sorry, you've lost me.

You made the point that she would look ridiculous with no make up on stage and I made the point that other stars would too. Not quite sure how this makes Madonna's fans ageist. But I can see how it makes you look ageist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, you've lost me.

You made the point that she would look ridiculous with no make up on stage and I made the point that other stars would too. Not quite sure how this makes Madonna's fans ageist. But I can see how it makes you look ageist.

Where did I say that she would look ridiculous?? I didn't YOU just took it for granted that was what I meant. I was pointing out that she HAS to look glammed up because that is the image her fans expect. Please don't read things that are not there.:)
  • Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    Madonna still hasn't figured out that you don't have to flash bodyparts in order to still be seen as 'relevant' in the music industry.

Her 'Look at my bum' and 'Look at my boobs' thing comes across as desperate, and takes away the focus from what should be most important - her music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose*~* wrote: »
    Madonna still hasn't figured out that you don't have to flash bodyparts in order to still be seen as 'relevant' in the music industry.

Her 'Look at my bum' and 'Look at my boobs' thing comes across as desperate, and takes away the focus from what should be most important - her music.

Well, maybe that's the trouble, her music nowadays is just not up to scratch. I wish she would make more good ballads like she did in the early 90s. But apparently she's dead set on going down the same well worn tracks. Maybe she feels she has to compete with, or even top, the likes of Rhianna and Perry et al? sad!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where did I say that she would look ridiculous?? I didn't YOU just took it for granted that was what I meant. I was pointing out that she HAS to look glammed up because that is the image her fans expect. Please don't read things that are not there.:)

As a Madonna fan, I have no problem with her growing old. What I do have a problem with is the fear that she will stop being Madonna. It isn't about how she dresses, what she says, how she brands herself. Madonna fans have frequently commentated negatively about her. We don't demand, nor expect her to be sexual and provocative. We do however want her to remain a driving force for gay rights, feminism and liberty. How she dresses is up to her. Sometimes she does look daft, but so what? She likes wearing these outfits so let her get on with it.

You say that fans want her to continue like she was 20 years ago. We don't. She is evolving and Rebel Heart (the album) is her most mature album since Ray of Light. The ballad Ghosttown is simply divine and you will find that her fans are hoping for a dignified and stunning video and performance of that song. This will be her second single and has the potential to be a huge hit - if her management team don't screw it up. Have you heard it?

Well, listen to it here. You might actually like it:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=scVEjRPUFDE
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tenuous at best.

Every star relies on a 'glammed up' image. Are you actually suggesting that Beyonce, Rihanna, Kylie et al - who I quoted previously, DON'T rely on a glammed up image???

Oh, and I'm not a fan, really. I think she's past her best in terms of music.

Oh. And if you're uncomfortable with Madonna having a 'glammed up' image in comparison to other younger artists than YES - you are ageist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tenuous at best.

Every star relies on a 'glammed up' image. Are you actually suggesting that Beyonce, Rihanna, Kylie et al - who I quoted previously, DON'T rely on a glammed up image???

Oh. And if you're uncomfortable with Madonna having a 'glammed up' image in comparison to other younger artists than YES - you are ageist.

BIB: Which is exactly what her fans were complaining about after Hard Candy and MDNA. You only have to look on Madonna forums on sites such as MadonnaTribe and Infinity to see how many fans were discontented with the post 2005 music from her. That's why there's a lot of excitement for her new album. It has a couple of stinkers on it, but also has some of her best music for a long, long time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tenuous at best.

Oh jeez, I am merely saying that she is trapped by the image she has created, just like Beyonce etc they will have the same problem, they will not be able to escape it because that is what sells the music ultimately. I am not ageist. I am not uncomfortable with herglammed image, I should have said heavily sexualised instead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh jeez, I am merely saying that she is trapped by the image she has created, just like Beyonce etc they will have the same problem, they will not be able to escape it because that is what sells the music ultimately. I am not ageist. I am not uncomfortable with herglammed image, I should have said heavily sexualised instead.

But you aren't criticising others for the same thing - only Madonna. Looks like you have an agenda.
  • PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing about Madonna for me is that she's just not interesting as a performer. . She churns out the same dance routines she's being doing since the 80s. This new song Living for Love is so dull, with lyrics you might expect from a 20 year old (I was lost now I'm found, how many times has that been used in a song?). My only 'complaint' about her age is that I would have liked to see her sing songs with much more depth, after all she has a wealth of life experiences and your take on love is very different in your 50s than in your teens/20s (no sane 50+ woman would sit longingly by a phone that doesn't ring for instance). I don't buy her albums but does she ever have a lyric that could make you cry or move a person, fan or not? I'd be interested to know and willing to give it a listen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member
    Rose*~* wrote: »

...have to agree...i.for one,have no wish to see her saggy tits and wrinkled old arse cavorting about the stage...the music is more than sufficient..
  • CFCJM1CFCJM1 Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Find it sad that someone who was always re-inventing herself in such creative ways now seems to be stuck in a bit of a time warp with her image and her music. She could still be so cool if her music reflected the life of someone in her 50s - with her amazing life experiences. Also she needs to dress more appropriately for someone of her age. Debbie Harry is in her 60s and still dresses really cool and relevant - without her bum hanging out.