The Royle Family, which decade is it set in?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
Forum Member
We were just watching The Royle Family on GOLD and got in to a bit of an argument about when it's supposed to be set, anyone care to help out?
TIA :)

Comments

• allafixallafix Posts: 20,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's set in the present, i.e. when it was made. So 1998 onwards.
  • JamfocusJamfocus Posts: 7,024
    Forum Member
    I'm quite sure its the late 90s. Series one to three anyway.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the year it was made in i assume. it does sometimes look 1970s but i think it is supposed to be set in the time it was made.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They watch episodes of shows like WWTBAM. It's set in present day (ie. when it was made).
  • k-bolak-bola Posts: 4,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    20th century(late).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a strange question.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies. It may seem like a strange question but it was simply to settle an argument. The episode was the one where Jim says the wedding meal costs £5.50 a head which started the argument, my parents were saying it was set in the 70s and the rest of us were saying the 90s/00s.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could have found this out immediately with Wikipedia, the answer is in the third sentence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Royle_Family
  • k-bolak-bola Posts: 4,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. It may seem like a strange question but it was simply to settle an argument. The episode was the one where Jim says the wedding meal costs £5.50 a head which started the argument, my parents were saying it was set in the 70s and the rest of us were saying the 90s/00s.

Well, all the shows they watch are relevant to the present day rather than the 70's.
  • therightdealtherightdeal Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    96-98ish
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Certainly the last episode was set in the present.

They had what looked like a 52" LCD TV :D
  • AppleTangoAppleTango Posts: 1,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How could it possibly have been set in the 70s?
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's set in a time period known as "The North" where everything is 10 years behind Southern Standard Time.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just looking at the TV shows they're watching tells you when it's set!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    It's set in a time period known as "The North" where everything is 10 years behind Southern Standard Time.

You daft racist. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    You daft racist. ;)

lol you cheeky bugger
  • tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is that the same as Smug Standard Time? ;)
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But Jim and Barb got married in the late 50s - clearly waited a while before having Denise, must have been good stuff on TV in the intervening years, or maybe Barbara was pregnant for years as Denise was too lazy to come out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely late 90s - it was/is set in the time it was made - though there has been some obvious continuity errors - like Jim and Barbara's marriage. In the original series set in the late 90s they said they'd known each other 27 years, which was right as Denise was supposed to be in her late 20s. But in the last episode they were celebrating their Golden Wedding (50 years married!)...anyway, sorry to be a nerd, but it is set in current times!
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member

I think you missed the point of the meal costing £5.50. It was an amusing way of showing how tight-fisted they are. Not that £5.50 is the normal cost of a meal.
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    cavegirl79 wrote: »
    Definitely late 90s - it was/is set in the time it was made - though there has been some obvious continuity errors - like Jim and Barbara's marriage. In the original series set in the late 90s they said they'd known each other 27 years, which was right as Denise was supposed to be in her late 20s. But in the last episode they were celebrating their Golden Wedding (50 years married!)...anyway, sorry to be a nerd, but it is set in current times!

I didn't understand why they made it 50 years in the most recent Christmas special. Surely a ruby wedding would have been much more believable.
  • snukrsnukr Posts: 19,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you'd ever been to the North, then you'd realise that they are in fact 10 years in front of Southern standard time. :)
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    snukr wrote: »
    If you'd ever been to the North, then you'd realise that they are in fact 10 years in front of Southern standard time. :)

I've seen the future, and it's the North :eek:
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    I didn't understand why they made it 50 years in the most recent Christmas special. Surely a ruby wedding would have been much more believable.

I think they messed it up. In the original series, im sure there was a reference to how long they had been married, and the numbers didnt add up to 50 when you added the 10 or so years since then.
  • Andy_GAndy_G Posts: 11,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snukr wrote: »

Cobbled streets, outside toilets and only eating pies is the future?
    :confused:

Scary!
    :D