Options

Father Brown BBC1 weekdays 2.10pm

Comments

• Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snoweyowl wrote: »
    It's set in 1953/4 according to information given in the shows. Elizabeth is on the throne and Churchill is PM.

I think you're right, but the daughter in yesterday's episode had a very 60's hairstyle.
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    I've just been catching up on series 1. I'd forgotten just how bad a policeman Valentine is. How the heck did he become a detective? He couldn't detect the nose on his face while looking in a mirror.
  • Options
    mustard99mustard99 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only just started watching this and it has fast become a guilty pleasure.

I love the silly bits, when the inquisitive nun in the poisoning episode said they referred to one of the other nuns as Sister Abacus she and Father Brown laughed out loud while the Inspector just looked bemused. And the episode with the electrocuted mayor - Father Brown is in the pub and is asked if he played darts, when he says yes a number of locals leave their table very quickly.

Silly, but it makes me smile.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    I've just been catching up on series 1. I'd forgotten just how bad a policeman Valentine is. How the heck did he become a detective? He couldn't detect the nose on his face while looking in a mirror.

He has to be portrayed as a bad detective in order to show how good a detective Father Brown is.

The same goes for just about any professional policeman in a show about an amateur detective
  • Options
    mustard99mustard99 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    He has to be portrayed as a bad detective in order to show how good a detective Father Brown is.

The same goes for just about any professional policeman in a show about an amateur detective

Or indeed Home Office pathologists
  • Options
    REVUpminsterREVUpminster Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WPC 56 from the same production team is repeated tomorrow. Set in the fifties, more realistic and a tad more violent. Only five episodes with five new ones the following week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    WPC 56 from the same production team is repeated tomorrow. Set in the fifties, more realistic and a tad more violent. Only five episodes with five new ones the following week.

I couldn't really get into that series. I watched a couple but it didn't grip me in the same way as Father Brown. The last series of The Indian Doctor didn't get my attention the same as the first two series either - I didn't bother watching after the first episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    With great excitement I got the complete Father Brown Mysteries from the library. Hats off to the people who adapted them for tv because they are as dull as ditchwater, and Father Brown himself doesn't stand out at all (and barely even appears really at least in the ones I've managed to plough my way through).
  • Options
    marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With great excitement I got the complete Father Brown Mysteries from the library. Hats off to the people who adapted them for tv because they are as dull as ditchwater, and Father Brown himself doesn't stand out at all (and barely even appears really at least in the ones I've managed to plough my way through).

The original series from 1974 doesn't seem very exciting either (don't know if it's closer to the books).
    This new show, i think, just takes the idea of a priest investigating murders. It's sort of Cadfael in the 1950s!
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original series from 1974 doesn't seem very exciting either (don't know if it's closer to the books).
    This new show, i think, just takes the idea of a priest investigating murders. It's sort of Cadfael in the 1950s!

I prefer this version of Father Brown to previous ones. It has pace and charm. Some good plots too.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I love these adaptations.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Cadfael books, but I've never seen the series (I must try and find them). Reading those books really got me into reading historical - preferably Mediaeval - crime books :D
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thoroughly enjoyed the Cadfael books, but I've never seen the series (I must try and find them). Reading those books really got me into reading historical - preferably Mediaeval - crime books :D

Regarding Cadfael, I though Derek Jacobi was excellent in the role, but the stories let it down as they messed around with them.

This latest incarnation of Father Brown though isn't really a book adaptation but simply based around the G K Chesterton character. Personally I like both the More version and the more comedic new one too.

BIB. It is the same for me. The Ellis Peters books opened up the world of historical crime fiction to me.
  • Options
    Friday's childFriday's child Posts: 100
    Forum Member

If you can get the Drama channel, they're showing Cadfael at weekends at the moment. Series 1, episode 2 is on Saturday 1st at 3:30pm, repeated on Sunday morning at 3:45am.

On the subject of Mediaeval crime, I'd love to see an adaptation of Bernard Knight's Crowner John stories.

I enjoyed the Father Brown mysteries though I could never get into the books.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    On the subject of Mediaeval crime, I'd love to see an adaptation of Bernard Knight's Crowner John stories.

I want to see Susanna Gregory's Matthew Bartholomew books on tv.

I heard that C J Sansom's Shardlake books were going to be made into a tv series but I don't know if it's going ahead.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 283
    Forum Member

Oooooooooooooooooooooooo yes please. Good call ;-)
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I heard that C J Sansom's Shardlake books were going to be made into a tv series but I don't know if it's going ahead.

The rumour was that Ken Brannagh was going to play Shardlake but then he signed up to play Wallander.

The first two Shardlake books have been adapted for radio. In Dissolution he was played by Jason Watkins and in Dark Fire Justin Salinger took over the gig.

Getting back to Father Brown.... Season 3 started this week
  • Options
    marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Getting back to Father Brown.... Season 3 started this week

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2037712&highlight=father+brown

New season 3 thread if you want to join in
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Father Brown WILL return! :D:D:D:D:D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/faqs/father_brown

Rachel Flowerday
    @buskeroo
    Just to say that I can FINALLY confirm - as per BBC website - #FatherBrown series four is going ahead! Thanks for all your support... :-)

https://twitter.com/buskeroo/status/574876288487407616
  • Options
    who me?who me? Posts: 17,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Father Brown WILL return! :D:D:D:D:D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/faqs/father_brown

Rachel Flowerday
    @buskeroo
    Just to say that I can FINALLY confirm - as per BBC website - #FatherBrown series four is going ahead! Thanks for all your support... :-)

https://twitter.com/buskeroo/status/574876288487407616

That's great news thankyou.:)
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,084
    Forum Member
    For anyone interested, Alibi are repeating series one again starting on Monday night (1st June) 9pm. Looking at the tv schedule on the Sky listings it says episode two, not sure if the first episode has been on already but the voice over said it was starting on Monday. Not sure why they're skipping the first episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For anyone interested, Alibi are repeating series one again starting on Monday night (1st June) 9pm. Looking at the tv schedule on the Sky listings it says episode two, not sure if the first episode has been on already but the voice over said it was starting on Monday. Not sure why they're skipping the first episode.

Thanks for the heads up! Father Brown should be in primetime anyway! :D
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bumping thread.
    Brand new series starting Monday 4th Jan at 01:45pm, daily.
  • Options
    harrypalmerharrypalmer Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    Bumping thread.
    Brand new series starting Monday 4th Jan at 01:45pm, daily.
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up! Father Brown should be in primetime anyway! :D

I only get to see this on Mondays (my only free day) and then I miss it the rest of the week. Yes it should be prime-time, or at least tea-time/early evening. Easily a worthy replacement for the nth f ****ing repeat of Flog It.
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only get to see this on Mondays (my only free day) and then I miss it the rest of the week. Yes it should be prime-time, or at least tea-time/early evening. Easily a worthy replacement for the nth f ****ing repeat of Flog It.

I think it will be on iPlayer if you have access to that, for the other episodes.

For those watching it when broadcast, please note the earlier transmission time of 01:45pm.
  • Options
    EVIL-MONKEYEVIL-MONKEY Posts: 53,872
    Forum Member
    Yay! I love Father Brown I got into it during one of my sick periods :( I binge watched the other eps.

I don't care if people don't like the adaptation. :o It should be repeated on sundays.
    Episode 10 has Hugo Spear listed as well as the new Inspector :o:D (I can;t wait till the new eps of The Musketeers :D )