Juliet Bravo BBC4 Mon 16th March 10.30pm

Comments

• GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    I'm wondering why she suddenly switched from wearing a white cap to a black cap, halfway through. :confused:
  • Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    "l spent all night chasing after some bloke who turns out to be mad. Like, really mad. He had every episode of Juliet Bravo on tape."

:D:D LoL

As a once upon a time huge fan of the show - I apologise sincerely if it turns out I was the lunatic in question.

p.s. Thanks for making me laugh - even if not funny at the time : - /
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering why she suddenly switched from wearing a white cap to a black cap, halfway through. :confused:

Female officers in many forces used to wear a white hat with black trim up until some point (I know not when) in the early 80's

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/17/article-2606602-0002E010000001F4-397_306x423.jpg

Presumably the transition to all black, with chequered band, occurred sometime around the filming of Juliet Bravo, so to appear modern they updated accordingly.

Hope my exceedingly boring answer satisfied :p
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    Female officers in many forces used to wear a white hat with black trim up until some point (I know not when) in the early 80's

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/17/article-2606602-0002E010000001F4-397_306x423.jpg

Presumably the transition to all black, with chequered band, occurred sometime around the filming of Juliet Bravo, so to appear modern they updated accordingly.

Hope my exceedingly boring answer satisfied :p

I meant halfway through last night's episode. :kitty:

Isn't that WPC Yvonne Fletcher? :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I meant halfway through last night's episode. :kitty:

Isn't that WPC Yvonne Fletcher? :o

Yes it is. I done a quick trawl of police uniforms (I remembered the white hats female officers used to wear when I was growing up), and Yvonne popped up straightaway.

As an ex policeman myself, I thought it fitting to illustrate/answer your question with a picture of someone worth remembering.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2537510/Did-WPC-Yvonne-Fletcher-die-union-militants-GCHQ-asleep-job.html

As to the 'change halfway through'..not sure at all. Early days continuity mishap perhaps..?
  • anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only remember one episode of Juliet Bravo, it was a one when Anna Cartaret was 'Juliet'.

Anyway, she was held captive in her office by a deranged John Woodvine. He ordered her to take her uniform off, can't remember why, but she only went so far (and not nearly far enough) before for some inexplicable reason John Woodvine chickened out and told her to stop. Ruined the story for me :(

PC gone mad, I tell you.
  • Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »
    Not a very young Joanne Whalley-Kilmer is it?

Excellent spot - it was, yes!

Knew she reminded me of someone but couldn't bring it to mind.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried watching a bit of this on i >Player.

Sadly, it "hasn't improved with age," in my opinion it appears to be as crap now, as I thought it was back then.
    Good signature tune though.

///////////////

I'm going to stick with Frank Marker and Public Eye.

Now that, was worth watching.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recorded it and have just watched it. Definitely worth watching - albeit fast forwarding some of it - to see Tony Melody.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recorded this too, was going to record them all, and watch them altogether, but looks like it was just a one off episode, as its not on anymore :(
  • Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not that excellent a spot as her name was listed in the credits!!
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »
    Recorded this too, was going to record them all, and watch them altogether, but looks like it was just a one off episode, as its not on anymore :(

Me too =- enjoyed it. Not seen it since 1980 something - where has it gone? What was the point of that???
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to delete the one off episode, no point in watching!
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watch the one off! It won't hurt you!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too =- enjoyed it. Not seen it since 1980 something - where has it gone? What was the point of that???

No point at all in only showing the 1 episode, it said it was 1/16 as well, yet when i saw it wasn't on tonight, i had a look on the website, to see if there was anything on there about when it would be back on, and just found this.
    On TV

There are no upcoming broadcasts of this programme

What a waste of time, was looking forward to recording and watching the series :(
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    No point at all in only showing the 1 episode, it said it was 1/16 as well, yet when i saw it wasn't on tonight, i had a look on the website, to see if there was anything on there about when it would be back on, and just found this.

What a waste of time, was looking forward to recording and watching the series :(

The 'point' of airing it was in the OP.
    Following from a documentary at 9pm tomorrow night about the history of women in the British Police force, Fair Cop: A Century of British Policewomen, BBC4 will be showing Juliet Bravo
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should have said it was a one off, and not 1/16.
  • alias99alias99 Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    It is amazing how things have changed. 1970's and early 80's dramas now look like they were filmed on a different planet.

I seem to recall Juliet Bravo could be a bit contraversial in it's day with some of the issues it tackled. Didn't one of the junior PC's get killed in the end as well?

The guy with the shotgun was the same actor as Bergerac's original boss too.
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,640
    Forum Member
    They should have said it was a one off, and not 1/16.

As somebody explained earlier, 1/16 will be how it's stored in the EPG because it still remains episode one of a series of 16 whether or not you show the others.

At the end of the day, I don't think BBC Four would be likely to show the whole of Juliet Bravo because I don't think it's really a BBC Four series...
  • NickLangleyNickLangley Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the change to a bowler-hat style for female officers was to do with providing more protection than the white topped soft hat gave.

Remember this was a time when the powers-that-be insisted on modifying the PC Plod helmet rather than equipping constables with proper riot gear because they were obsessed with maintaining the Dixon of Dock Green image. End result was PC Keith Blakelock having his head hacked off at the Broadwater Farm riot.
  • MontyzumaMontyzuma Posts: 184
    Forum Member

I was in no doubt who it was as soon as I saw here - that trademark dark eyes & heavy fringe

Quite enjoyed watching this as a one off. I can't say I would want to watch a complete rerun though.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    I quite liked it myself. I thought for a first episode it was alright, I just thought it might hit it's stride more and get better as the series established itself but from some comments it sounds like it didn't vary much in quality from the first episode to later ones! I'd watch more episodes if they were shown though, but it doesn't look like they will be.
  • stonostono Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    always liked watching it when it was on originally, likeable characters played well together, thought the quality only really dipped towards the end when inevitable you feel like you done every story with the characters that you can

I never felt it was unnecessarily dull or dreary, thats just the way tv shows were made back then, when the setups were all still in the tv was just a version of the theatre mode and all the studios were brightly top lit and video taped and then all the outside location stuff was shot on horrible grainy film because they didnt have enough outside lighting or time and filming in the UK is always fraught with dull/gray overcast skies
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Anna Carteret appears in a very early role in the film "Dateline Diamonds". This is well before her Juliet Bravo days; she's the girl with the radio!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4wkgHCBXWo
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    As somebody explained earlier, 1/16 will be how it's stored in the EPG because it still remains episode one of a series of 16 whether or not you show the others.

At the end of the day, I don't think BBC Four would be likely to show the whole of Juliet Bravo because I don't think it's really a BBC Four series...

Should show it on drama