eLinker output not playable

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
Forum Member
I have downloaded a couple of programs to my laptop using the elinker software supplied and renamed the files to include .mpg

However, I can't get Windows Media Player, or my CD writing program, to recognise them as MPEG files.

Any suggestions? I though it should be as easy as that.

thanks
splitfinger

Comments

• Frank1Frank1 Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    I have downloaded a couple of programs to my laptop using the elinker software supplied and renamed the files to include .mpg

However, I can't get Windows Media Player, or my CD writing program, to recognise them as MPEG files.

Any suggestions? I though it should be as easy as that.

thanks
    splitfinger
    I know that in the past, Humax support said to add the .mpg file extention but this is not correct.
    You should add .ts to the file names transfered by ELinker.

Some media players can play these (transport stream) files directly (e.g. Video LAN Client and Media Player calssic) but good old Microsoft media player cannot.

I use Video Redo to convert from .ts to .mpg and its also good for trimming the recordings and removing adverts. (not free though).
    Thereafter, any DVD authoring package should be OK.

Frank
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its because windows doesnt come with the codecs that play these broadcast streams but you can install codecs or players that can handle these files from the off. Looking through the 3 or 4 threads on Humax to PC issues should give you some useful info though if you need some pointers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    thanks for both the replies.

I'll try .ts and see if I can get the relevant codecs for this format.

Regards
    splitfinger
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    Splitfinger,

Suggest you visit www.videolan.org and download VLC as it has a fair stab at playing "raw" transport streams but I find (Fusion not Humax) that sometimes even it has problems that are only resolved once the stream has been passed trough ProjectX (another FREE download). After ProjectX you probaly also want to use the free Imago remuxer to put the M2V and MP2 files back together again making a .MPG that not only VLC but probably even Windows Media Player will play just fine (and which just about any DVD authoring program will import)

Cliff
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Once again, thank you for you replies.

I have now successfully viewed the transport stream using Media Player Classic :)

Next stage will be to try the various options for editting and converting the file to DVD format.

Regards
    splitfinger
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    The most successful and easiest app I've used is www.videoredo.com

There is a free trial of the full version if you register.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avidemux is free and does the job.
    http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/