How many Xbox 360s have you bought?

fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
Forum Member
✭✭
Microsoft have recently announced that they have now sold 70 million Xbox 360s.

It's an impressive figure, but it got me thinking. I've had to purchase 2 consoles (and have a refurb) due to RROD. If everyone else was in the same position, then it would mean that those figures, and their profits, have been boosted by far more than they deserve. People have bought an additional machine just to get a slim version too.

So, out of curiosity, I thought I'd ask how many consoles the people on this forum have purchased for themselves? (Or had as gifts from parents / partners etc)

How many Xbox 360/ have you bought? 128 votes

35% 45 votes
26% 34 votes
24% 31 votes
4 or more
14% 18 votes

Comments

• mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3 for me...

I wonder how many folk from here contributed to the comments on EG when the story broke last week... http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-19-microsoft-has-sold-70-million-xbox-360s

For more detail, the latter 2 purchases were "upgrades". I started out with a Premium in 2006, upgraded to an Elite in 2007 (that had a trip to Frankfurt in 2010) and then upgraded to the Slim last year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put me down for 3, 1 died and 2 slims.
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    1st got RROD

2nd one was flashed and banned then sold on for offline use.

3rd one is sat under my TV.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4 for me.

2 RRoD. Lasted about a year each. Can't really blame MS for shoddy quality, they were used almost 24 hours a day as 2 of us in the house were unemployed at the time and we worked the poor things in shifts.

1 is still in good working order apart from a tendancy to initially not read the disc. <open> <close> <read>

My current box is a slim.

May get a fifth. Still deliberating on the Halo 4 console. :confused:
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    3 for me...

I wonder how many folk from here contributed to the comments on EG when the story broke last week... http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-19-microsoft-has-sold-70-million-xbox-360s

For more detail, the latter 2 purchases were "upgrades". I started out with a Premium in 2006, upgraded to an Elite in 2007 (that had a trip to Frankfurt in 2010) and then upgraded to the Slim last year.

Some interesting reading in the comments section there.

I think it's fairly telling that there have been 70 million consoles sold, but only 46 million Xbox Live accounts created. (That includes free Silver accounts) 24 million seems like a very big discrepancy....

Also, sales have increased by 27%, but XBL memberships have only gone up 15%

Obviously there will be some people that have 360s but never taken them online, but I can't see it being a large proportion these days. Which suggests there are a lot of scrapped Xboxes ou there, and a lot of unnecessary purchases.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must have bought over 5 lol, not all for myself obviously but for other family members. Only had 1 red ring on me, but sold my slim a good while ago now.

Got a friend who is going to be buying his first 360 around Christmas time.

I don't think life-time sales figures mean much, the PS3 probably has a similar story to tell.

It does seem people have gone a little crazy this gen, buying multiple consoles, I hold my hands up.
  • deano0501deano0501 Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've owned three but bought two!

First one I bought was a basic white one, which I then exchanged for the black Elite when it was released (fortunately I'd purchased my white one less than 12 months previously from work and they happily exchanged it when I told them it had developed a "fault" ;))

Incidentally my Elite developed RROD which I sent away for repair. Give it to Microsoft, their turnaround service for repairs is impressive. Sent away on a Monday, returned to me fully working from Germany, Thursday same week.

Then I bought a newer model with Kinect last Christmas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brought one at launch that lasted about 2 1/2 years and then invested in a elite which is still going strong to this day. Love my 360.
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've bought 2. The first one was killed by spike coming through the ethernet cable from a lightening strike.
  • TV DUNIYATV DUNIYA Posts: 6,772
    Forum Member
    First one was brand new,RROD,was replaced by second,which was refurbished.
    Third brand new slim,has been gifted.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just one. 3 year old jasper chipset still going strong...
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On my thrid console, but only ever paid for the first one as the second two were RROD replacements.

I wonder if the 70million total counts up RROD replacements as well as those paid for?
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    I wonder if the 70million total counts up RROD replacements as well as those paid for?

The articles all say "sold 70 million Xbox 360 units" so it should mean just the units that have changed hands for cash. They'd be doubling up, at least, if they added RROD replacements onto that figure.

But 70 million 360s obviously doesn't equate to 70 million 360 users.
  • EELoverEELover Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only 1 at launch, still works fine for me
  • Sam SeedSam Seed Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    1 RROD which was the original then bought the latest black slim and love it, this is what the 1st one should of been
  • Sam SeedSam Seed Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    EELover wrote: »
    Only 1 at launch, still works fine for me

you still have the launch console? must be one of the few still working
  • scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    Just 1 of me had it new since 2009.
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have 3 but only 1 has had rrod which was repaired under warranty and hasnt had it since.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,390
    Forum Member

1 not long after the 360's launch & then a slim on day of its release.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,930
    Forum Member
    Two. Launch edition. Still running but boxed up. Old style super elite as well. Far less disc read errors.
  • Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2, first replaced under warranty
  • Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Xbox 360 slim 250gb is my first one. Must have bought it about a year ago.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just an Elite in 2008. Noisy as hell but still going strong. It's Nintendo who have had all my multiple console money with the different DS versions.
  • TheCrackInTimeTheCrackInTime Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    I'm on my 3rd. The first was a 60gb Pro, which I traded in for my second, a 250gb S. That broke literally a month after the warranty expired, so I bought a 4gb model and used my old hard drive.
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

First one was the old arcade model. Second was the black slim model.

Neither have RROD.