There has never been an Asian finalist.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    2 girls from girlband were chinese if i am not mistaken
  • CaudlehalbardCaudlehalbard Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely Zayne Malik made it to the finals?

Zayn is half-English.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    scootzer wrote: »
    So what you're saying is that there has NEVER been a finalist of asian decent... and then you are saying that there was a finalist of asian descent!

What's your point caller!? :confused:

I actually cannot stop laughing at your post!

I never knew Zain was of Asian descent. Never even crossed me that he was any way mixed race. (Or am I using that term wrong here?)
  • factorxxfactorxx Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    AJmaestro wrote: »
    I actually cannot stop laughing at your post!

I never knew Zain was of Asian descent. Never even crossed me that he was any way mixed race. (Or am I using that term wrong here?)

Having the name Malik and brown skin gave it away a bit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    factorxx wrote: »
    Having the name Malik and brown skin gave it away a bit.

I did notice his skin was a bit of a darker colour but just never copped it with the surname. I just assumed it was a British surname. Shows how much I know lol
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zayn wasnt a finalist as such though, he was a member of a finalist, so to speak - One Direction.

Yeah, I'm shocked too that there's never been an Asian person at all in the top 12 or 16 acts of each year - out of over 100 finalist acts!
  • iamstrongiamstrong Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nefertem wrote: »
    2 girls from girlband were chinese if i am not mistaken
    Korean
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emily Nakanda was robbed! :D

I think it's more likely that Emily Nakanda did the robbing! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and flippin' slavs eh? What about the slavs?

Luv,

Ivan Denisovitch
  • AntoniaAAntoniaA Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member
    I hadn't thought of it. Maybe next year eh?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not to be sounding racist in any way, shape or form by any means but it's UK X Factor......now bare with me on this???

In the UK, white/British are still the majority ethnicity, Asian, European and other UK born nationalities are still believe it or not minority groups so the odds on the winner being white/British will ultimately be much higher. Actually, we've had two solo winners who were of mixed race so technically the theory on statistics doesn't hold up?
    I'm fairly certain that a white/Asian born person would have less chance of winning an Asian X Factor show or a non American, the American X Factor? The results are probably the same worldwide?

I'm not a worldwide X factor fan so can't say for sure who's won where?
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The X Factor showcases a pretty narrow genre to be fair. It's a show for boy bands, girl bands, boy ballad singers, girl ballad singers. It's not a showcase for eclectic world music, indie music, rock bands. I accept that the contestants will sing songs from these groups but its a pretty safe style and whilst the odd Wagner and Lucy Spraggon turn up to add some kind of non conformity to proceedings it will remain that way.

I'd love to see someone try Bhangra but it wont be commercial for Syco -maybe we haven't seen Chinese or Indian sub continent middle of the road ballad singers really actually apply I can't think off the top of my head of one successful UK asian chart topper except the indie band Cornershop who had the hit A Brimful of Asha in the 90s.
  • iamstrongiamstrong Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The X Factor showcases a pretty narrow genre to be fair. It's a show for boy bands, girl bands, boy ballad singers, girl ballad singers. It's not a showcase for eclectic world music, indie music, rock bands. I accept that the contestants will sing songs from these groups but its a pretty safe style and whilst the odd Wagner and Lucy Spraggon turn up to add some kind of non conformity to proceedings it will remain that way.

I'd love to see someone try Bhangra but it wont be commercial for Syco -maybe we haven't seen Chinese or Indian sub continent middle of the road ballad singers really actually apply I can't think off the top of my head of one successful UK asian chart topper except the indie band Cornershop who had the hit A Brimful of Asha in the 90s.
    Jay Sean?
  • suniilsuniil Posts: 2,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) - time will tell

So far, yes you are right! In music industry there are a few including MIA. Also in last year one of the NBC The Voice finalist was from Asia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mgIAhHvTHU
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I cannot think of a single finalist in UK X Factor who is of Asian descent.

On the other hand Classical music industry is dominated by Far East / Asian talent pool. If you look at Classical Music schools and Colleges around the globe, you can easily find that they are dominating.
    maybe we haven't seen Chinese or Indian sub continent middle of the road ballad singers really actually apply I can't think off the top of my head of one successful UK asian chart topper
  • drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the tabloid side of the X-Factor puts a lot of Asians off from applying for the show. Even for Asians born here, family percepetions and values are very important. It would be embarassing for an Asian girl to appear on the show and then have the likes of The Sun writing about her personal life. Of course this applies to people of any ethnicity who come from a conservative background and there are Asians who are into the overnight fame the X-Factor brings.
  • Carlisle156Carlisle156 Posts: 23,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trucolorz had they not been disqualified. :(

I loved them somuch, they were my favourites that year. |D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ybcYQyEv_A

So good...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Isn't Leigh from little mix half Asian. I might be wrong there
  • shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    Zayn is half-English.

You mean half-white. He's british born.
    Isn't Leigh from little mix half Asian. I might be wrong there

No she has a carribean background. Jamaican/Bajan (Barbados).
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean half-white. He's british born.

correct.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    iamstrong wrote: »
    Korean

their last name = Lau = kantonese
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geneva lane *off belle amie* who briefly dated my boy zayn when they were on XF is half-filipino.:D