nexus 7 as sat nav HELP!

ladyloulouladyloulou Posts: 7,932
Forum Member
we have a nexus 7 which hubby wants to use as sat nav, now when we are in a wifi area and put the destination in it will hold it and work perfectly. But if we are in the middle of town with no wifi signal it will not let you input a destination. What is the idiot doing wrong? please help he is driving me mad!

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you buy a version with mobile data or only a WiFi one?

I suspect the problem is that the Sat Nav app needs an internet connection to do anything useful. When you are in range of WiFi it can obviously connect to do whatever it is it needs to do. Once you drop out of WiFi range it loses connection and so cannot do the necessary.

But if you had the version with mobile data then it could stay connected via the mobile phone network and that would probably allow it to work.

I could be entirely wrong here (and willing to be corrected by anyone with greater knowledge), but from your description it does sound as if the internet connection could be important.
  • ladyloulouladyloulou Posts: 7,932
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Did you buy a version with mobile data or only a WiFi one?

I suspect the problem is that the Sat Nav app needs an internet connection to do anything useful. When you are in range of WiFi it can obviously connect to do whatever it is it needs to do. Once you drop out of WiFi range it loses connection and so cannot do the necessary.

But if you had the version with mobile data then it could stay connected via the mobile phone network and that would probably allow it to work.

I could be entirely wrong here (and willing to be corrected by anyone with greater knowledge), but from your description it does sound as if the internet connection could be important.

Hi, i had no idea about mobile data it was bought from google not tied in with any phone contract. But a normal satnav doesnt need a phone/ data contract to work so why should this? i am more confused than ever now lol
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What Sat Nav app are you using?

There is a possibility that the app you are using does not store any map data on the device but downloads it as needed from the internet. Stand-alone Sat Navs and some mobile device apps do store map data on the device so can work entirely independently of any internet connection.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I think you are probably using google maps? this being google, is an online service. it requires a data connection t download the maps. it does not hold them on the device.

it will allow you to download a portion of the map for offline use.

there are free apps such as this one:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.ALL

which have free offline mapping.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Yeah. You have a wifi-only Nexus 7 and are using Google Maps, so you need a wifi signal to load new data as you move. Google Maps is essentially an online service, like your browser.

You can mitigate this by selecting an area of the map that you want to use, while you're connected to wifi, and the Google Maps app will download and store that data for offline use.

The area saved is quite generous but not enough to get you from one end of the country to the other.

I'm not sure if turn-by-turn directions will work on an offline saved map, but I imagine it will.

For long journeys, a map app that stores *all* its data on your tablet - just like satnavs do - might be your best bet.
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    I think you are probably using google maps? this being google, is an online service. it requires a data connection t download the maps. it does not hold them on the device.

We have downloaded this and switched off all the wifi, its looking good, will let you know tomorrow when we have used it on the road. Ironically we will probably only use it once a month or so, but after his tomtom accidentally broke (he dropped it!) he convinced me that he needed the nexus and it would be cheap as he is saving the cost of buying a satnav :rolleyes:
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ladyloulou wrote: »
    We have downloaded this and switched off all the wifi, its looking good, will let you know tomorrow when we have used it on the road. Ironically we will probably only use it once a month or so, but after his tomtom accidentally broke (he dropped it!) he convinced me that he needed the nexus and it would be cheap as he is saving the cost of buying a satnav :rolleyes:

Fair enough indeed. I'm not surprised in the slightest for you thinking the satnav on your tablet should work the same way. It was quite an eye opener you mentioning it tbh.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you have a smart phone then they can all pretty much create a hotspot to provide mobile data connection for your tablet which is fine for using good maps. Google maps has several advantages such as providing traffic information, routing based on traffic, street view, integration with google maps on your home computer and live POI information.
  • iamthenewnumbertwoiamthenewnumbertwo Posts: 1,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found that if you query the route whilst on WiFi it works, took it out to car and directed fine for 35 miles, even recalculating when taking a different route but it must download the route as it would not work on the way back when there was no WiFi available.

This was after downloading the Google map to local memory (the whole of Kent in this case).
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »

have used this all morning. works like a dream, many thanks to all who replied x (my 1000th post , only taken me 8 years lol)
  • TonyOtherTonyOther Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    we have a nexus 7 which hubby wants to use as sat nav, now when we are in a wifi area and put the destination in it will hold it and work perfectly. But if we are in the middle of town with no wifi signal it will not let you input a destination. What is the idiot doing wrong? please help he is driving me mad!

Why not just get a bloody satnav. What's the point of using the Nexus as a satnav when there are perfectly good satnavs which would do the trick without having to faff around with wifi connections or pay mobile network data rates. I really can't see it. Big boys and their toys for Lord's sake. Would you really use a toaster to boil water?
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    TonyOther wrote: »
    Why not just get a bloody satnav. What's the point of using the Nexus as a satnav when there are perfectly good satnavs which would do the trick without having to faff around with wifi connections or pay mobile network data rates. I really can't see it. Big boys and their toys for Lord's sake. Would you really use a toaster to boil water?

Calm down :D

If anyone is interested in using the Nexus 7 as a sat nav I'd have though one of the Sat Nav apps off the Play store would be worth having a look at.
  • SeawolfSeawolf Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Deleted.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »

If anyone is interested in using the Nexus 7 as a sat nav I'd have though one of the Sat Nav apps off the Play store would be worth having a look at.

I would have thought the biggest problem of using a Nexus 7 as a Sat Nav would be the size of the thing in the windscreen!

If you only want an occasional Sat Nav then just use your phone with a dashboard mount.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »

Which would be a lot cheaper than a new satnav.
    Forum Member
    TonyOther wrote: »

As i explained before we dont use a satnav that often but the nexus would be used every day. which is why its useful to do the two things. A satnav would just sit in the cupboard most of the time, so therefore would be a waste of money.
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    I would have thought the biggest problem of using a Nexus 7 as a Sat Nav would be the size of the thing in the windscreen!

If you only want an occasional Sat Nav then just use your phone with a dashboard mount.

We have a van and it sits on the console perfectly, nowhere near the windscreen,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hi the Nexus 7 has a built in gps receiver, download Navfree from play store and your good to go.
  • SonyJunkieSonyJunkie Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentman wrote: »
    Hi the Nexus 7 has a built in gps receiver, download Navfree from play store and your good to go.

Welcome to the forums.

Also, welcome to half past four on Monday!!
  • QuayStQuaySt Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    As i explained before we dont use a satnav that often but the nexus would be used every day. which is why its useful to do the two things. A satnav would just sit in the cupboard most of the time, so therefore would be a waste of money.

You can buy the TomTom App which is now compatible with the Nexus 7 according to several comments on forums.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    silentman wrote: »

Navfree is great especially being free.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    SonyJunkie wrote: »
    Welcome to the forums.

Also, welcome to half past four on Monday!!

To be fair, it's not obvious from the post that it's that product. Only the link contains the name.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a van and it sits on the console perfectly, nowhere near the windscreen,

Fair enough. I was in a taxi recently that had a iPad mounted on the dashboard as a Sat Nav. I thought that was a little excessive.