Rissoles

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
Forum Member
Anybody remember rissoles ? Are they still available ? If not, why not ?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the same to you:D

Yes I remember them but not sure if you can get them in their original form. I think you can get fishcakes these days but not 'meat' cakes. They aren't hard to make tho'
  • LemonhunnyLemonhunny Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love the Birds Eye rissoles when I was a child. They had pearl barley in them, and were really tasty.

I suspect they stopped making them because the ingredients were dubious.

I do make my own now when I have leftover beef or lamb from Sunday roast, dependent on having enough time.

But they aren't anything like the same as the Birds Eye ones I remember...mind you, if Birds Eye started making them again, they probably wouldn't be the same either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you make rissoles? I am not sure I have ever had them.
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fannyadams wrote: »

Arseholes mixed with pissholes.
  • Russ_WWFCRuss_WWFC Posts: 1,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL.

I had them a few years back at a chippy in Swansea, that was when I went to see Wycombe at their old ground.

I'm sure they had meat in them, they were nice whatever
  • LemonhunnyLemonhunny Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fannyadams wrote: »

My mum used to make them for us with the leftover lamb or beef from sunday lunch. Just mince it (we'd chuck it in the food processor instead now I suppose), and mix it with some herbs and mashed potatoes. Form it into fish cake shapes, and then just flour, egg and breadcrumb them.

Not unlike making fish cakes as you see.

But the Birds Eye ones had pearl barley in them, and I just remember them being scrummy, and really enjoying them with chips and beans. I suspect my tastes have changed quite considerably since I last had them 40 years ago though!
    (Quite scary when you work out how long it is since you ate something in particular!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually they sound quite nice, I've never had them
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mother used to make rissoles on a Monday as well. I think the advent of quick frozen beefburgers replaced them in most households.
    Anyway, here's Delia's recipe -
    http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/rissoles,1577,RC.html
  • eviled2010eviled2010 Posts: 22,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, I remember those well...bloodly loved 'em!
    Rissoles and chips and tomato sauce on a Friday night watching Thunderbirds....those were the days!
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We often have them to use up leftovers from a joint of meat. The world is your oyster when it comes to flavours, there are a great number of spices that can be used to enhance them. I just love them especially ones made with ham and also a beef version with Cajun spices.

Home-made fish cakes are another favourite of mine, very similar to make just use fish instead of meat.

Beats all the convenience pre-packaged gunk make from reclaimed meat and fish pieces, and far cheaper, it just takes a bit of time and effort to prepare them.

We bought a large ham joint at Christmas the remains are in the freezer waiting to make into rissoles, can't wait. If one looks at the cost of the ham and the number of meals we will got from it, the cost is not excessive, bearing in mind that the ham joint certainly cost far less than just one meal of fish and chips for 4 from our local chippy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rissoles :D