ITV Player & 4oD on Sony Blu-ray players

2»

Comments

• gonefishingonefishin Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    I guess we are in for a long wait if it ever does turn up... I guess the Sony Bravia service is dead now and that ProjectCanvas aka YouView will pick up where Sony started.

Sony are very optimistic about connected TV services, as are Samsung. Neither has much of a joined-up strategy yet, in my opinion. YouView - when it eventually launches - will likely raise the bar: both because it has the backing of some significant content owners (always helpful) and for the unified user experience.

Connected TV is still early days and the sooner that TV manufacturers recognise that they should partner with credible aggregators, rather than individual content providers (other than the obvious majors) then they'll stop burning cash. It's not that they haven't got both the market might and cash to succeed, it's just it's clear from the rather half-hearted efforts we've witnessed to date, this is seen as nothing more than experiment.
  • JayDayJayDay Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    I was looking at getting a Netbox this month, but with no date for ITV player of 4OD I think I will hold out and get a YouView box. Shame Sony couldn't pull their finger out. Sky will probably lose me as well if they continue with their £10 a month HD subscription.
    Forum Member
    Sony are very anti YouView, for whatever reason:

Sony says no to YouView
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Edd Uzzell has been answering questions on THIS Facebook group.
    Feel free to join in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    JayDay wrote: »
    Shame Sony couldn't pull their finger out.

If you check out the Sony Discussion forum link I posted in April it mentions that Sony are pushing ITV/CH4 to have their services on Bravia kit.
    It's ITV/CH4 that's causing the delay. The only reason those services are appearing on PS3/XBox because they're using the basic browser version of the viewer like a PC.
    Streaming "portals" to AV kit are more complicated to setup and I believe it's their input that's lacking.
    Forum Member
    Greyowl wrote: »
    If you check out the Sony Discussion forum link I posted in April it mentions that Sony are pushing ITV/CH4 to have their services on Bravia kit.
    It's ITV/CH4 that's causing the delay. The only reason those services are appearing on PS3/XBox because they're using the basic browser version of the viewer like a PC.
    Streaming "portals" to AV kit are more complicated to setup and I believe it's their input that's lacking.

Yes, incredibly costly for broadcasters to develop. So understandable that they're waiting for a critical mass of devices to be deployed, let alone used for their connected functionality.
  • simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gonefishin wrote: »
    Yes, incredibly costly for broadcasters to develop. So understandable that they're waiting for a critical mass of devices to be deployed, let alone used for their connected functionality.

But why can Five and the BBC do it though but not ITV and CH4 ???
    Forum Member
    simonk243 wrote: »
    But why can Five and the BBC do it though but not ITV and CH4 ???

Different platform priorities.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    gonefishin wrote: »
    Different platform priorities.
    Nothing to do with SKY having shares in ITV then? Its not exactly in their interest for us to have a free tv on demand service is it, or am i just a cynic?
    Forum Member
    westside wrote: »
    Nothing to do with SKY having shares in ITV then? Its not exactly in their interest for us to have a free tv on demand service is it, or am i just a cynic?

I suspect you're reading conspiracy where none exists. It's down to the economics of developing for each of these platforms, that's all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any news if 4OD and ITV Player will be coming to Sony Blu-Ray players?
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    redlight79 wrote: »
    Is there any news if 4OD and ITV Player will be coming to Sony Blu-Ray players?

Nope :(
    I was on Sonys Facebook page the other day and asked about Netflix and I got a reply saying they're always looking to add new services to as many devices as possible and they've got some exciting announcements they are planning to make within the next 2 months.
    They wouldn't specify what these announcements would be about so I guess we will just have to wait and see.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darn! :( If I'm being honest, 4OD is what I'm more interested in. Not a fan of ITV, so that doesn't make much of a difference, but it's good to have on the off chance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I just searched this, as even though theres no 4od i noticed recently 4od being available on youtube.

aha! i thought, thats how to get 4od. ....

alas, no, none of that content appears on my blu-ray player's youtube version. whats up with that? Is it a narrower selection of video choice ??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    joelmb wrote: »
    I just searched this, as even though theres no 4od i noticed recently 4od being available on youtube.

aha! i thought, thats how to get 4od. ....

alas, no, none of that content appears on my blu-ray player's youtube version. whats up with that? Is it a narrower selection of video choice ??

Been there, tried that.
    The Youtube portal only shows a fraction of the content.
    I don't think the Youtube channels are available.

Sony is releasing new content for their Bravia devices such as Netflix, but these will only work with 2012 devices.
    BDP-S390 ..etc This is because Netflix are insisting on using a DRM ( Digital Rights Management ) technology that can't be installed on older devices.
    I suspect future services will follow a similar DRM pattern.

I'd suggest get a TV that does what you want as a TV only.
    Likewise with Bluray, TV recorder ..etc
    If you want streaming services get either an Xbox, PS3 or setup a small PC like an Acer Revo connected to the TV to do the job.
    These probably won't look as good, but at least they'd have a better chance of getting future services...
  • Dooper1Dooper1 Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Fired up a new Sony BDP-S390 blu-ray player box and no ITV player/4 OD...quite surprised.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    Why don't all Sony products have

BBC iplayer
    ITV Player
    4OD
    Demand 5
    Sky Go

Under the Sony Entertainment Network??