Forum Member
Was it that bad? I loved it!

Comments

• Options
    mkirilenkofanmkirilenkofan Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it was.

And the next one will be as much of a disaster.

Gaga of 2008/09 is long gone. Die hard fans should give up hope. I did.

Goodnight
  • Options
    chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wasnt bad at all, of course the debut was much better but i liked it a lot more than born this way
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. There were a couple of songs I loved (I liked the title track, Do What U Want, Sexxx Dreams, Venus, G.U.Y) and most of the others I liked but didn't love. Overall it was an average album.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    i loved it and still listen to it.
    it was not as great as The Fame or Born This Way, HOWEVER Gaga is great, and with her its just levels of greatness to me. So i loved it, but just not as much as her previous albums. I am a true monster :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Aura101 wrote: »
    i loved it and still listen to it.
    it was not as great as The Fame or Born This Way, HOWEVER Gaga is great, and with her its just levels of greatness to me. So i loved it, but just not as much as her previous albums. I am a true monster :D

Amen to that!
  • Options
    dorkjacksndorkjacksn Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a mess frankly. One or two lovely songs; Gypsy is beautiful and hopeful, almost on a par with Edge of Glory or Speechless. Do What U Want could have been huge had it been promoted properly, probably the catchiest on the album, Sexxx Dreams is sort of fun, but a bit soulless, MANicure is very 'Fame' era Gaga and probably my nostalgic favourite, and G.U.Y is on par with some of the Born This Way singles.

The rest is all a bit too experimental, lyrical bankrupt or inconsequential to be truly barn-stormingly good pop; Venus being the absolute nadir.

I think the album as a whole is probably a result of a time when her psuedo-intellectual, up her own arseness reached a certain peak, the sexuality was just coming off as cheap and desperate, and she was frankly not being well managed anymore, hence the split.

She's in a much better, much more grounded and realistic place now, so I'm excited for the future and hopefully a return for the dafter, less serious GaGa of old. She was the first artist I was truly a fan of, and the first three albums were such a gateway drug into the excesses of the electropop scene for a clueless, shy boy like I was.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was alright

But anyone who labels their album as "the album to change pop music forever" is arrogant and deserves to kinda fall flat on their face in terms of sales. A very bold claim to make.
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it. It was different from the Fame (Monster) and Born This Way but so what, she's an artist who writes what she wants rather than what is expected. Some of them (like Swine) were very high energetic and worked brilliantly on the tour, then you had the ones that were from the heart like Gypsy.
  • Options
    TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I thought ARTPOP was good, but not brilliant. I think it was such a letdown mainly because of how Gaga talked it up, just like she did with Born This Way. Also, the management of the album and the AP era in general was shockingly bad and exasperated people even more, especially all that that 'living art' shit :confused:

I'm so glad to see her with her feet back on the ground and it seems her recent success in AHS has really bolstered her popularity again. I doubt she'll reach the heights that the Fame Monster brought her again, but as long as she's putting out good songs and recognising them for what they are, and nothing more (no grand, ridiculous statements) I'll be happy.
  • Options
    Rae_AmuryRae_Amury Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, not just bad. Awful pseudo-artistic mess.
  • Options
    Theo RoseTheo Rose Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the time I loved it but listening to it now its a generic mess and I think it exposed her flaws as a song writer. I really think Red One is the only producer who knows how to make pop Lady Gaga happen. She tried so hard to be a female Bowie but it blew up in her face because Gaga doesn't have his genius.

Personally I think she is wasting her talents on pop. She should go fully into jazz and embrace everything it has to offer. That is where her future is.
  • Options
    dorkjacksndorkjacksn Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theo Rose wrote: »
    At the time I loved it but listening to it now its a generic mess and I think it exposed her flaws as a song writer. I really think Red One is the only producer who knows how to make pop Lady Gaga happen. She tried so hard to be a female Bowie but it blew up in her face because Gaga doesn't have his genius.

Personally I think she is wasting her talents on pop. She should go fully into jazz and embrace everything it has to offer. That is where her future is.

She's never been the most lyrically poetic writer but Venus was utter tosh. "Aphrodite lady, seashell bikini! Let's blast off to a new dimension. In your bedroom". I mean, really....?
  • Options
    Jeannie_WilsonJeannie_Wilson Posts: 1,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Artpop is a pretentious boring mess that sounds like a bunch of unreleased demo's from her previous albums reworked with new producers a month before release. The production is dated, messy and all over the place. It's nothing what Gaga said it would be: it's not futuristic, outstanding or original - there's nothing on Artpop that sounds fresh. In fact. a lot of the songs feature samples by other people.

I enjoyed Lady Gaga's music when she first emerged but my love for her soon died when she started with the pretentious bullsh!t. Ie: claiming "Born This Way" was the greatest album of the decade - and Artpop as "a celebration and a poetic musical journey and an exploration of the reverse Warholian". Both albums turned out to be nothing but self indulgent claptrap. How are we meant to be convinced by someone who doesn't even know the difference between "The Venus De Milo" and "The Birth of Venus"? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUhph-TRsR8 She just blurts out rubbish to the unfortunate to give the impression she's intelligent and a true artist.

and I am sick of the way she keeps ripping off other artists only for people to act like she's the second coming.
    She's also full of contradictions - She claims to not write for the charts and yet a number of her tweets say otherwise - most noteably the one about coming for Carly Jepson Rae because she beat her Born This Way record. and then there's her tantrums over Katy Perry's "Roar". The fake gushing and pandering to her fans, the overblown sales figures from her music and ticket sales, the manipulation of the charts, etc. There's just so many things that infuriates me about her. I could go on and on...
  • Options
    ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    This break seems to have done her much good and opinion of her seems to be on the up since she's calmed down a little

Although she's never going to reach the popularity of 2009 again I think the next era could be a very good one for her
  • Options
    Jeannie_WilsonJeannie_Wilson Posts: 1,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the type of bullsh!t I was talking about:

"I myself can look at almost any hemline, silhouette, beadwork or heel architecture and tell you very precisely who designed it first, what French painter they stole it from, how many designers reinvented it after them, and what cultural and musical movement parented the birth, death and resurrection of that particular trend."

and then there's this:
    http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/808609TheCultureShowLadyGagaTheMotherMonsterInterview13112013HD1.gif

I've also just come across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm-mhR9Tk_g
    Besides the fact that it was completely ridiculous, it was disrespectful too. Who (besides Gaga) jumps on a monument? Those are segments of the former Wall which has a meaning to an entire country. Hundreds of people died on that Wall, families were separated for 28 years. She tries to sell this as an act of art? I wonder what would happen if she was to jump into the 9/11 reflecting pool for her sake of art?