Options

Is the Silents storyline over?

inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
Forum Member
✭✭
It appears that the Great Intelligence is the 'Big Bad' of Series 7. Does that mean that storyline of the Silents is over? Although I think REG is brilliant, I feel that there is still more that could have been done with the Silents.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I have a feeling they will be present in this year's finale, as well as the 50th.

We know from Moffat himself that "the question" will be addressed at some point during this year; we also know that the Silence's motives are closely linked to stopping the answer to the question.

I'd be very surprised if they didn't appear. Also, my crackpot theory here, but I reckon the Great Intelligence is a member of the Silence religion and perhaps the founder (?) but definitely the voice behind the TARDIS exploding.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We still have the prophecy of Trenzalore, Silence will/must Fall and the focus on Doctor Who ?. Still many reveals about The Silence to come, it's just a matter of when ??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I imagine the Silence will be involved in the 50th
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think that the Silence are done with, not just yet.

They way it's been set up, I think they'll at least be present during the Eleventh Doctor's final story, these "Fields of Trenzalore", whatever they may be.

I can't, however, seeing them be present beyond the Eleventh Doctor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    I'm going to go as far as to say The Silence could even be working with/controlled by/controlling the Great Intelligence.... But thats just a thought. They will definitely be back in a big way, Moffat doesn't start something big without ending it big!
  • Options
    nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    I don't give a hoot (sorry!), I just want to know who blew up the Tardis.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the SIlence creatures are fascinatingly eerie...so i suspect they will be back very soon....we will learn more about the Silence religion i reckon by the finale somewhat...and i think they will come back in a big way with whatever happens in the 50th and into series 8 i reckon.

The great Intelligence i think it a part of this alliance or indeed one of the founders to bring (specifically the eleventh) Doctor down....it will be interesting to see and i cannot wait, but i do have a definite feeling about this :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    nattoyaki wrote: »

The Silence did... the real questions are "why?", "how?", and "why that particular date?"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Williams6 wrote: »
    The Silence did... <snip>

Details please - I have been waiting to find this out since the episode aired!
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Details please - I have been waiting to find this out since the episode aired!

Word of God hisself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    Word of God hisself.

I've seen that thanks - I'd like something that makes sense in tandem with what I actually watched on TV, or at the very least explains 'why'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've seen that thanks - I'd like something that makes sense in tandem with what I actually watched on TV, or at the very least explains 'why'.

If the storyline is over - which is highly doubtful as the Fields of Trenzalore have yet to be visited - I would understand your questioning. As it is, we clearly don't have all the answers yet.

Once the Moff leaves, and if it's still not all explained, then be properly frustrated. Right now, there is no reason to be.

Although, actually, there already has been a 'why'. To stop him from being present to be able to answer the question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    If the storyline is over - which is highly doubtful as the Fields of Trenzalore have yet to be visited - I would understand your questioning. As it is, we clearly don't have all the answers yet.

Once the Moff leaves, and if it's still not all explained, then be properly frustrated. Right now, there is no reason to be.

Thanks but I think I'll choose how I feel about things without being told when and how I should, by you or anyone else - no offence meant :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks but I think I'll choose how I feel about things without being told when and how I should, by you or anyone else - no offence meant :)

Fair enough. I gave you the information you were after, but as you'd already dismissed it I don't suppose anything anyone says will change your mind.

I will feel awfully frustrated if it's not answered when it's all over. But as it isn't yet over, I don't see the point myself.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Silence did... the real questions are "why?", "how?", and "why that particular date?"

I don't think they did, I don't think its that simple...pretty sure it hasn't actually been confirmed as such!
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,483
    Forum Member
    Trust the Moff. I think this quote is particularly relevant to the 50th.

"The Silence, the unseen enemy who blew up his Tardis last year, have laid deeper plans and set the deadliest trap of all - one that has been ticking away in the Doctor's life for longer than anyone knows."
  • Options
    the dourflathe dourfla Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't remember anyone called the silence
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not answered, that's for sure. But one thing we have learned for sure is that the Silence had a brainwashed assassin aboard the TARDIS when it blew up.

Random coincidence? Depends on whether you think River's story was made up as Moff went along, or if he actually had a plan for the character.
  • Options
    summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    i don't remember anyone called the silence

I remembered while reading your post, but as soon as I looked away I forgot.
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think they and hopefully madame Kovarian will come back for 11's "fall".
    Would like to see what they do next. They tried to stop the future coming to pass, but it looks like the question will be asked and answered after all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member

Because river was conceived that evening, that's always been that theory.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Because river was conceived that evening, that's always been that theory.
    Well, sort of - it was the night the Doctor picked up Amy, i.e. the night before her wedding. River was conceived on the following night - although they had already taken off and were travelling through time and space, so it wasn't really that night at all!

I think it was an artistic reason - tying the start of the series to the end, circling it all round nicely. If you wanted a justification, the manipulated Alliance used a psychic print from that date to create their trap, so it only seems right that the rest of the trap surrounds that date too.

And it's cheaper on the set dressing.

As for the Silence, their future is deliberately vague. Or to put it another way, is the Daleks story finished? Or the Cybermen? A cherished-enough villain will always have a way back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always thought the Silents could be great villains even outside the context of Series 6's arc.
  • Options
    JedHawkJedHawk Posts: 442
    Forum Member
    The Silence - brilliant order of creatures. They have been accepted as a scary enemy by many, and although we've only seen them for a few years, are well worth their heritage in the adversaries that plague the Doctor. One day in the future, they'll be legendary, too.
  • Options
    inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JedHawk wrote: »
    The Silence - brilliant order of creatures. They have been accepted as a scary enemy by many, and although we've only seen them for a few years, are well worth their heritage in the adversaries that plague the Doctor. One day in the future, they'll be legendary, too.
    Who knows, maybe in 10 years time we'll see 'Silents created by Steven Moffat' in the credits of a future episode.