Doctor Who is a CHILDREN/FAMILY show.

FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
Forum Member
If you are angry just because there were kids in the episode then you are obviously not part of the show's target audience, it's as simple as that.

Just remember who the show is aimed at. Be pleased.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    No people are angry at the inept writing and the appalling acting abilities of the children who appeared in the episode. Also the complete lack of any point to them being in the episode whatsoever.
  • DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »
    Doctor Who is a CHILDREN/FAMILY show

Well, it used to be, back in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Not so sure, nowadays.

Maybe these two are being lined up for a new spin-off kids' show with JLC.
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, YOU are a CHILDREN/FAMILY show.
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When it wants to be. The bollocks with River Song and her complicated, multi-timeline relationship with The Doctor is something that would be mostly lost on the majority of children, among many other plot points.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    If they were written like Clyde and Rani, people would have liked them.

Instead, they were written like Kelsy from Invasion Of The Bane, and we all know what audiences thought of her!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know you are not enjoying the negative comments and feel like fans should be positive all the time, but it won't have any outcome on the show, which I imagine is what you are worried about.

Threads telling people what they can and can't think, and countless posts telling people what opinions to have is going to achieve nothing.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True I accept that not everyone will like the same things. But expectations have to match the reality of who the show is aimed at. A dark, bleak and really scary show for adults isn't going to happen it's a kids/family program. Basically don't expect what's not going to happen and the show might be more enjoyable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As gratifying as it is to have Helen Lovejoy posting on DS, did you really need to start another thread saying exactly the same as your first?
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Kids very rarely appeared in classic Who.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Was Adric considered a kid?
    Even so, they killed him off anyway.

I don't mind children in Doctor Who, but the ones last night couldn't act to save their lives.
    Compare that with whoever played the Queen of Years in The Rings of Akhaten. She was pretty good at acting considering her age.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a family show. Not a children's show. It's for all. The target audience is pretty much anyone. There are episodes that are suitable for younger eyes, some not so much.

I do think the dislike for the kids was over-the-top though. I didn't like how they were introduced, but their acting didn't bother me.
  • BoiledSpoonsBoiledSpoons Posts: 162
    Forum Member

I don't mind children in Doctor Who, but the ones last night couldn't act to save their lives.
    Compare that with whoever played the Queen of Years in The Rings of Akhaten. She was pretty good at acting considering her age.

She's Aled Jones' daughter.
  • peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    When it wants to be. The bollocks with River Song and her complicated, multi-timeline relationship with The Doctor is something that would be mostly lost on the majority of children, among many other plot points.

I think that's fair enough though. It is a family show, and some aspects will be aimed more at the adults in the room than the kids, and vice versa.

We don't have to enjoy the show for the same reasons.
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »
    Doctor Who is a CHILDREN/FAMILY show
    Dogmatix wrote: »
    Well, it used to be, back in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Not so sure, nowadays.

No it isn't/wasn't. It is a BBC Drama, if it was a childrens' programme it would be made for CBBC from the childrens' budget.

However it was (and to my knowledge still is) made by the drama department, and it is, as always aimed at families
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have a problem with children in Doctor Who, but I have a problem with last night's children on the show. Stereotypical, not very well characterised and useless.

However, it's not the young actors' fault. It' s the fault of the writers, who cannot write appropriate dialogue for young kids (I'm looking at Neil and Stephen here).

Very disappointing!
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There have been some really superb performances from child actors on Doctor Who. Daughter of Mine in Family of Blood and CAL in Silence in the Library were both very well-acted. If there was a problem with the kids in Nightmare in Silver, I'd put it down to writing and direction. After all, they didn't write their own lines; the bratty characterisation of Angie was obviously how the writer and director intended it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member
    mrprosser wrote: »
    No it isn't/wasn't. It is a BBC Drama, if it was a childrens' programme it would be made for CBBC from the childrens' budget.

However it was (and to my knowledge still is) made by the drama department, and it is, as always aimed at families

This. I think it was originally made by the Serials department; it was never intended for kids; but for general audiences.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC don't even have childrens programming on BBC1 any more. Or if they do it's well hidden.

Obviously Dr Who is supposed to be for a general audience and it generally has been. But 7b has really moved into poor childrens TV territory with the lack of emotional depth, cliche, plot chasms and all the rest.
  • JedHawkJedHawk Posts: 442
    Forum Member
    Kids would probably understand the truths behind the plot a lot easier than us lot, searching and hoping all the time. Myself included.
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Susan? (A season and a half)

Vicki? (A season)

Dodo? (Half a season)

Jamie? (Nearly three seasons)

Adric? (A season and a half)

Lots of kids have been on the show for a long, long time. And these were 40+ episode seasons for Susan, Vicki, Dodo and Jamie.
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have a problem with children in Doctor Who, but I have a problem with last night's children on the show. Stereotypical, not very well characterised and useless.

However, it's not the young actors' fault. It' s the fault of the writers, who cannot write appropriate dialogue for young kids (I'm looking at Neil and Stephen here).

Very disappointing!

Dialogue was a problem at times....but so was the acting. It was a combination.

Of course you can also blame the casting agent, the director and perhaps the editor.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ea91 wrote: »

Then in case I don't see you, good afternoon, good evening and good night.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    ea91 wrote: »

The last time I heard a pathetic insult along those lines, I was about 12.

I grew up. I suggest you do too.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    The story was originally written for Amy and Rory, I understand. They needed a character to play the 'going to poke around and get into trouble' role, and had already established that Clara wasn't the type, so they brought in the kids to do that. I'm guessing the original script only had Rory getting caught by the cybermites, and where they handed off from Angie to Clara at the soldier's room it would have been Amy all the way.

So, they needed the child character to be pushy and belligerent, and so that's what they made her. Sure, the actress wasn't able to provide much more layering, but that's to be expected from a young actress.
  • ukgnomeukgnome Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    13lives wrote: »
    ...... Also the complete lack of any point to them being in the episode whatsoever.

They were a plot point - a device used to explain why they were there. Also a way to introduce the golden ticket, ooh so that's 2 plot points for the price of 1. And I am not even including the whole cybermen harvesting children's brains to use their imagination for future upgrades, because that would be 3 plot points that justifies the children's presence.