Why do the New Who writers dislike the Cybermen?

Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
Forum Member
Since DW returned in 2005 the Cybermen have been made a joke.

They are no match for the Daleks and become their bitches in Doomsday.
They take orders from a human in The next Doctor.

Their ship is easily destroyed in Agmgtw
They are destroyed by love in Closing time.
They are defeated by the use of a chess game in last nights episode.

Seriously it feels like the writers have a dislike for the Cybermen or something. :rolleyes:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They weren't defeated by chess.

They were defeated by a bomb.

You can tell it was a bomb because the planet exploded.
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrfipp wrote: »

^^^ This

Chess doesn't explode :p
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    ^^^^ lol.
  • HappyTruckerHappyTrucker Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shoppy wrote: »
    ^^^ This

Although it WOULD make those championship matches a lot more entertaining......
  • Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D

Nicely put, yet another poster being overly negative for no reason.

You could actually look at it like this, they were much stronger. Every time they found something that killed them they upgraded, and even when they blew them all up, something/ someone survived.
  • darrenh2011darrenh2011 Posts: 2,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although it WOULD make those championship matches a lot more entertaining......

LOL :D

ps: anyone want a game dr who style ?
  • HappyTruckerHappyTrucker Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL :D

ps: anyone want a game dr who style ?

Chess in Harry Potter? Bah, child's play. DW Chess EXPLODES your ass!!!! :D:D:D

Edit: You know, I just read that back and it really doesn't scan well at all :rolleyes:
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    ^^^ This

Maybe not.

But it can still kill...

:);)
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, if I remember rightly in Earthshock the Doctor killed them all by letting them crash into Prehistoric Earth, in Attack of the Cybermen they were blown up by some exploding powder and in Silver Nemesis, the Doctor launched a statue into space which blew up their entire fleet....oh and Ace killed loads of them by firing coins at them with a slingshot...

Haven't seen any previous Cybermen episodes yet so can't comment on those.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    I suspect it's because they keep coming over here and taking all our women, all our jobs etc. :mad:
  • crimez83crimez83 Posts: 333
    Forum Member

I don't know why I found this so funny but I did. Probably the mental image of rooks and pawns flying in all directions in the middle of Armageddon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now that I think about it, it could have been the chess that exploded.

In the Series 6 finale, he played chess that would zap millions of volts of electricity through your body. Maybe he's become so addicted to dangerous games of chess that he needs to step up the danger to get his fix!
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member

Really? I thought someone farted :confused:
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^^ This

You haven't played chess in my house then! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    good foundation for maybe a better encounter.
    Still cant believe how wussy they were against the Daleks
    I thought they were amazing when the head was trying to attack Amy and it shot those darts out.
  • PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Topol wrote: »
    good foundation for maybe a better encounter.
    Still cant believe how wussy they were against the Daleks
    I thought they were amazing when the head was trying to attack Amy and it shot those darts out.

To be fair, those were basic Cybusmen, the new lot are a mix of Cybusmen and the originals.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scorpio2 wrote: »

Seriously it feels like the writers have a dislike for the Cybermen or something. :rolleyes:
    Not only were they defeated by a giant planet-killing bomb, as has already been mentioned, but actually, they beat the Doctor at the chess game!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do think that there is still a good Cyberman story out there just waiting to be told but I also think before it is told, we need to have one or two series without them! Daleks too! All imo of course!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^^ This

It doesn't :confused: I'm Clearly playing it wrong then :eek:
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were distracted and stalled by chess.

Then they were defeated by a great big F-Off bomb.
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    I suppose there is a danger of the Cybermen becoming too "borg-like" if they keep "adapting" er... upgrading :D

It would have been nice if the first couple of Cybermen into the moat had shorted out and then the upgrade happened, but i suppose that was more of an episode timing issue than anything else.

The new Cybermen do look nice and sleek and have, at last, lost the "child bearing hips" of the Cybusmen - but they are straying into Iron Man territory now. Would love to see a Cyberman with a red and gold paint job for comparison :D

My worry is that they have now strayed too far into Dalek/Borg invincibility. The good thing about old Cybermen and Daleks was that earthly heavy weapons would take them out, now it looks like they will shrug off anything thrown at them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose there is a danger of the Cybermen becoming too "borg-like" if they keep "adapting" er... upgrading :D

It would have been nice if the first couple of Cybermen into the moat had shorted out and then the upgrade happened, but i suppose that was more of an episode timing issue than anything else.

The new Cybermen do look nice and sleek and have, at last, lost the "child bearing hips" of the Cybusmen - but they are straying into Iron Man territory now. Would love to see a Cyberman with a red and gold paint job for comparison :D

My worry is that they have now strayed too far into Dalek/Borg invincibility. The good thing about old Cybermen and Daleks was that earthly heavy weapons would take them out, now it looks like they will shrug off anything thrown at them.

I dot agree that there is even a small amount of plagiarism going on here, imo Doctor Who is taking back ownership of the concept! The Cybermen were the original creation and if you look up ' Kroton the Cyberman' on google, the 'new' design looks like more of throwback imo! For example the Cybermen had a light on their chest units thoughout most of the 60s and 70s.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scorpio2 wrote: »

As opposed to the majesty of a twentysomething "teenager" spouting sub-Grange Hill colloquialisms while firing gold coins at Cybermen with a catapult? While Tonedeaf Keff repeatedly hits the "Orchestra Hit" button on his back bedroom Bontempi?
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I dot agree that there is even a small amount of plagiarism going on here, imo Doctor Who is taking back ownership of the concept! The Cybermen were the original creation and if you look up ' Kroton the Cyberman' on google, the 'new' design looks like more of throwback imo! For example the Cybermen had a light on their chest units thoughout most of the 60s and 70s.

Yeah, I know the Cybermen are older than the Borg - I'm just saying the whole adapt/upgrade thing is a blurring of the lines.

Well, I'm old enough to have read "Throwback" - Kroton always looked like a an "Invasion" era Cyberman with a few design ideas from "Revenge" thrown in. It's nice to see the current designers borrowing from past designs, but like I say - give the "Nightmare" Cybermen a gold and red respray and tell me they couldn't be mark 43 armour :D
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, if I remember rightly in Earthshock the Doctor killed them all by letting them crash into Prehistoric Earth, in Attack of the Cybermen they were blown up by some exploding powder and in Silver Nemesis, the Doctor launched a statue into space which blew up their entire fleet....oh and Ace killed loads of them by firing coins at them with a slingshot...

Haven't seen any previous Cybermen episodes yet so can't comment on those.

Exactly. I haven't seen the 60s Cybermen stories, but in the 70s and 80s all their stories were rubbish except Earthshock, and they were usually pretty rubbish too. Look at them in The Five Doctors, just targets for the (admittedly impressive) Raston Warrior Robot.