Options

David Bowie R.I.P.

Comments

• Options
    Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    This is one of yhose John Lennon moments for me, born in 1966 I grew up listening to his music and his death has come completely out of the blue for most of us, we hadn't even been aware he was ill. He released his latest album on Friday and had his 69th birthday on Friday, a birthday he had shared with Elvis.

RIP David Bowie, you were, without a shadow of a doubt, one of the best.

Totally agree with that. Myself and my youngest brother both think and it is now accepted that he had been hinting about his state of health on his new album, "Blackstar". The music videos for "Blackstar", "Laharus" and one or two of the songs (I can't remember off the top of my head and I don't have the time at the moment to go and check :()

I want to though pass on my deepest sympathy to his family at this very sad time from myself and on behalf of my youngest brothers and mum. :cry:
  • Options
    Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    This is one of yhose John Lennon moments for me, born in 1966 I grew up listening to his music and his death has come completely out of the blue for most of us, we hadn't even been aware he was ill. He released his latest album on Friday and had his 69th birthday on Friday, a birthday he had shared with Elvis.

RIP David Bowie, you were, without a shadow of a doubt, one of the best.

Totally agree with that. Myself and my youngest brother both think and it is now accepted that he had been hinting about his state of health on his new album, "Blackstar". The music videos for "Blackstar", "Laharus" and one or two of the songs (I can't remember off the top of my head and I don't have the time at the moment to go and check :() had been evident of this, sadly. :(

I want to though pass on my deepest sympathy to his family at this very sad time from myself and on behalf of my youngest brothers and mum. :cry:
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh this is so sad. :( RIP David.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lazarus a lot more meaningful now. I suspect the entire album is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-JqH1M4Ya8
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    I first saw Bowie when I was 12 performing Starman on TOTP, and knew I was looking at the future. So many years later I still feel the same about his music. Everyone dies, but with him I really thought it'd be heart related.

The news today has shocked me deeply, bringing back the type of sadness I felt loosing family members to cancer. It's strange, feeling this for someone I never met and who had no idea I existed. The closest I ever got was about 20ft from Bowie's mic when I saw him at the NEC.

But still I feel a great loss, and shame that our leaders across the world are still spending billions upon billions on WoMD, when they could be finding a cure for cancer and other diseases.
  • Options
    chubstachubsta Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    A true great - i was born in 1966 so was too young really to remember the Ziggy Stardust years but songs like Let's Dance and Ashes to Ashes take me back to my teens like no others. I learned to appreciate the back-catalogue more and more as the years went on and absolutely loved The Next Day and Blackstar.

A real shame he has died so young but I guess he lived a very interesting life and I am sure he felt he made the most of what opportunities he was given...
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a shock to wake up to. RIP. I woke up this morning trying to remember the song at the end of Deutschland 83 last night it was Modern Love..
  • Options
    hornbeamhornbeam Posts: 9,483
    Forum Member
    Very sad day ..... rip David Bowie :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Sad, in my view someone who deserverd the title 'Legend'
    Always kept his act different but trendy. Not always to peoples taste in his style of music, but very influentional.

My first memories.
    Space Oddity, summer 1969, played so much just after we all got excited about the moon landings, launched his career, remember it well, singing it in the school yard, and also those stylophone adverts christmas 1970.
    There was also his 1967 laughing Gnome that he did, so 'Syd Barrett' that was a hit on childrens radio in the late 1970s.

So many personas since then, and have loved or been mixed on his differing styles over the years. But his uniquue way of changing styles always kept an older and captured a new audience.
    RIP
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done Ted, the DS GD forum live news feed beating the BBC and Guardian by 10 minutes.
    Sad news though. 😔 RIP.

I saw it on the sky news sunrise programme...they broke away from the discussion to say it was being reported on fb and Twitter...but as no other news channels or online sites reported it at that time, there was the possibility it could have been a hoax.

Sadly not...
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    That's a shame. He was a bit different from most musicians. 69 isn't a great age these days.

It's nothing, nothing, tra-la-la.....

(I may be quoting from labyrinth for the rest of the day.)
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1st Lemmy, and now David Bowie, 2 huge cultural icons gone within such a short space of time. :(
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's a shock to wake up to !

I remember buying 'Ziggy' and annoying my parents playing it really loud

That was the only album of his I bought so other than that I mainly know the hit singles from the 70s and 80s..........then he disappeared from my consciousness for 20 odd years until I happened to hear 'Thursday's Child' which grabbed my attention and had me YouTubing Bowie for a few weeks

RIP David........one of the legends
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No one cooler RIP to the Thin White Duke.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just listening to his new album when i heard the news !! :cry:
  • Options
    foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP David Bowie. I loved your work! Music has lost a legend and absolute trendsetter!

I am so shocked to hear this news - Too many people are being taken by Cancer!
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sad news indeed....
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I posted part of this in the thread in the Showbiz forum - there are threads in three forums and rightly so given the truly iconic status of the man.

I am genuinely shocked and deeply saddened by this completely unexpected news.

I think the fact that his death is a shock to so many is a testament to David's determination to keep his private life private.

This always increased my respect for him - not one of those 'celebs' complaining about paparazzi but continuously frequenting places where they would be seen.

Such an innovative, influential and iconic guy - and utterly, utterly cool and charismatic throughout his life.

BBC doing a 2-hour programme right now dedicated to looking back at his life.

RIP.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Planet Earth is blue.

RIP.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blackstar producer posted something which offers some insight into the recording of the album and his diagnosis.
    "He always did what he wanted to do," the message begins. "And he wanted to do it his way and he wanted to do it the best way. His death was no different from his life - a work of Art. He made 'Blackstar' for us, his parting gift. I knew for a year this was the way it would be. I wasn't, however, prepared for it. He was an extraordinary man, full of love and life. He will always be with us. For now, it is appropriate to cry."
  • Options
    Nevada_UsopianNevada_Usopian Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Listning to Space Oddity. Still Stunned. My old CB mate introduced me to Bowie's genius back in the late 80's.
  • Options
    LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Absolutely Love You!!
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Very, very sad news. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought he would be around for many more years.

R.I.P.

There will surely be some unissued gems awaiting release in the years to come.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    very sad news..Shocked to hear about this..David Bowie was a legend..great songs :(
  • Options
    LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering if his ex-wife Angie will be told. Not that I watch the stupid programme, but she's in the Big Brother house at the moment and obviously will not know.