22:00 The Borgias s1 e2

28 Feb:
19:00 The British s1 e1
20:00 Blue Bloods s1 e1
21:00 An Idiot Abroad 2 s2 e2
22:00 The Borgias s1 e3

7 Mar:
19:00 The British s1 e2
20:00 Blue Bloods s1 e23 (so it says on the website, but imdb says season 1 only has 22 episodes! Probably means s1 e2)
21:00 An Idiot Abroad 2 s2 e3
22:00 Boardwalk Empire s1 e1

14 Mar:
19:00 The British s1 e3
20:00 Smash s1 e1
21:00 Mount Pleasant s1 e1
22:00 Boardwalk Empire s1 e2

21 Mar:
19:00 Richard E Grant - Hotel Secrets s1 e1
20:00 Smash s1 e2
21:00 Mount Pleasant s1 e2
22:00 Boardwalk Empire s1 e3

28 Mar:
19:00 Richard E Grant - Hotel Secrets s1 e2
20:00 Smash s1 e3
21:00 Mount Pleasant s1 e3
22:00 Mad Dogs s1 e1

4 Apr:
19:00 Teen Wolf s1 e1
20:00 Bedlam s1 e1
21:00 Parkinson: Masterclass s1 e1
22:00 Mad Dogs s1 e2

11 Apr:
19:00 Teen Wolf s1 e2
20:00 Bedlam s1 e2
21:00 Parkinson: Masterclass s1 e2
22:00 A Young Dr's Notebook s1 e1

Not just one weekend this time but every Thursday For 12 weeks from 24 Jan 2013 7-11pm until 11th April 2013.

Comments

• jxpjxp Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was going to watch Game of Thrones but if it's only 3 episodes I don't think I'll bother.
  • Drizzle73Drizzle73 Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Aah, 12 weeks - enough time to show a decent series, but not actually bothering to do so. They're such a tease! :rolleyes:
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this earlier and I certainly wont be bothering with it. If I start watching a show I expect a full series, not this type of one or two episodes idiocy.

An absolute waste of time, but not unexpected from such a trashy channel.
  • VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky are using Pick TV as a 'Ohhh, look what your missing!' channel for non-subscribers.

Pure marketing trash. Well, nothing new there then.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies to anyone who watches pick tv, but I wish they do something else with the bandwidth.

Who anyone here really object if they replaced pick with sky sports news and moved challenger to channel 12?
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member
    jxp wrote: »
    Was going to watch Game of Thrones but if it's only 3 episodes I don't think I'll bother.

You can see if you like it, and then buy the DVD :)
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    Saw this earlier and I certainly wont be bothering with it. If I start watching a show I expect a full series, not this type of one or two episodes idiocy.

The whole point of this is to encourage Freeview viewers to subscribe to Sky, not to actually entertain people with whole series! Tease you and hook you. They must have some success or they wouldn't keep trying it every year.
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »

I would say the same about channel 5 the way they treat some us shows.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a feeling this was the idea to give whole selection of bits and bobs to tempt you into buying Sky.

As noted above you'd do better watching the show on Pick see if you like it then get the box set on sale, which of course gives the production company some income so they can make more great programmes.

At least at the moment we seem set to get the whole of Warehouse 13 series 1 and Terra Nova so I'm more or less happy, shame about the other shows they could have run one 'new' series more or less to the end in those 12 weeks. Then again why not do the same thing again after a couple of months with the next three episodes and so on that way they can tempt new customers and over about a year or so you get to see the whole series free.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomee wrote: »
    I would say the same about channel 5 the way they treat some us shows.
    Yeah, but at least they end up showing the whole series.............eventually. :p
  • SorukSoruk Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    Apologies to anyone who watches pick tv, but I wish they do something else with the bandwidth.

Who anyone here really object if they replaced pick with sky sports news and moved challenger to channel 12?

I'd suspect UKTV would have something to say about Sky trying to replace Dave with Challenge.
  • Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jxp wrote: »

I have seen all the episode's via Sky 1 and its worth it just for the opening credits.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drizzle73 wrote: »
    Aah, 12 weeks - enough time to show a decent series, but not actually bothering to do so. They're such a tease! :rolleyes:

No, they are trying to get people interested in a series and hope that people miss it so much that they will subscribe to their services.

They are not doing it out of the kindness of their hearts, they want to get more customers. Maybe they are worried that with the economy as it is, people may start getting rid of Sky or downgrading, certainly the ones that will lose some benefits.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    Wbc-Worker wrote: »
    I have seen all the episode's via Sky 1 and its worth it just for the opening credits.
    Better they watch it from Blu-ray. A lot of the epic tone with be lost if they watch it on squishy lego vision. Seriously, PickTV has appalling picture quality!
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole point of this is to encourage Freeview viewers to subscribe to Sky . . .
    . . . or buy the DVD/Bluray boxset ... or download it from certain unauthorised sources!
  • M60M60 Posts: 5,578
    Forum Member
    DJGM wrote: »
    . . . or buy the DVD/Bluray boxset!

That's exactly what I did for Series 1 and 2 of An Idiot Abroad, basically the only thing I've seen on Sky 1 which has ever interested me. £12.75 for the box set on Blu Ray with 4x discs from Amazon, bargain!
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow, I would object - I've watched loads of things on Pick TV recently - the Futurama movies (split into episodes), The Chicago Code, Strike Back, Modern Family season 1, Stargate Universe, and the first few seasons of STTNG. And now Terra Nova and Warehouse 13.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soruk wrote: »
    I'd suspect UKTV would have something to say about Sky trying to replace Dave with Challenge.

I may of ment channel 11...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    pick tv has improved recently with the addition of spartacus, stargate strikeback etc which are welcome additions to FTA television but these shows are still taking far too long to go onto a non-pay platform and some like star trek are starting in season 2 or 3 and stopping before they conclude... modern family and the middle ran for 1 season then vanished. I don't think anyone would disagree that pick tv with this kind of library shown in sequence could be a great little channel and actually encourage people to take a pay package for the new seasons of their favourite shows, but as always sky are so focused on their pay platform and the discrediting of freeview that they are oblivious to the revenue stream a competitive freeview channel could produce on both fronts.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member
    pick tv has improved recently with the addition of spartacus, stargate strikeback etc which are welcome additions to FTA television but these shows are still taking far too long to go onto a non-pay platform

If you take Game of Thrones, it's ludicrous that Sky are showing a couple of episodes from series one as a taster. If you sign up to Sky on the basis of that, you will find they are about to start showing series 3, so you are going to be perpetually behind. It's more an advert for the DVD/Blu-ray than for Sky, as that's the only way to see the rest of the series and catch up.

Really they should have shown the entire series so it finished shortly before series 2 started on pay TV. With a long wait for the DVDs that might actually have encouraged people to sign up to Sky to watch the second series. They could then show series 2 on Pick with a significant delay in order to cash in on the advertising revenue.

Their "encourage people to subscribe" ethos would be satisfied, Pick TV would be a better channel and gain more advertising revenue from people who won't ever subscribe.

They are too intent on "weakening Freeview" for that to ever happen though. Showing a couple of episodes from the first series when the third is about to air doesn't seem to be the right thing to do in any respect.

Arguably they've made an even bigger error with An Idiot Abroad - showing half of series 2 when series 3 has just finished.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very true, they would do far better to run a whole series of one or two of the shows and have it tie in with when the next season is about start and that will hook a certain number of people.

It's like with Modern family, they ran the whole of season one week nights if they had run season two right after it would have finished just before season three started on pay tv. Do that with Game of Thrones and few other shows and it should hook people or in my case I'd just shrug and see if season three turns up free in a year's time or get the box set which seems to be the idea with the cross section of shows that are set to be on.
  • riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member

We had Sky Sports News for a while on Freeview, didn't we, but they (News) moved in as I recall, partially I think the spur people to take up their rather dubious offering. So the chances of it coming back are minimal, I'd hazard a guess.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to watch Pick TV more than I do Challenge TV, but that's just me. All that onscreeen gubbins on Sky Sports News used to put me off when it was available on Freeview.
  • riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    I tend to watch Pick TV more than I do Challenge TV, but that's just me. All that onscreeen gubbins on Sky Sports News used to put me off when it was available on Freeview.
    Pick TV seem to show "Police, Scratter, Action" or some such other variation thereof back to back, which is OK for an hour or so, but grates thereafter.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    If Pick TV was as available across the UK as the BBC channels it could bid for FTA Sports Rights.

Ad revenue would multiply and would compliment the Pay TV market share Sky has. Especially if they take the highlights packages too.

I'd call the channel "Sky Free"

& if course it could be in HD.

There is a slot available???????!