Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4

Comments

• Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any time you want to hear "Winter Melody," it's one of the 7" singles on one of my jukeboxes I put on YouTube a couple of years ago.
    I was quite shocked at the news of her death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3TH_NeASnc

Thanks DR, I was very shocked too. She had kept her illness quiet I believe. But coming so soon after the passing of Whitney, was shocking, and then within the week another of 1978's finest dear Robin Gibb passed, albeit less un-expectedly. It's not been a good couple of years for these kind of passings, far too young and cruelly taken.:(
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richupton wrote: »
    :) any chance of this appearing on YT as well?
    none.about 3 of us tried to upload it tom youtube,only for it to be taken down by sme/emi/warner chappell.same with dailymotion too :( only place i could upload it was vimeo https://vimeo.com/62537656
  • RichuptonRichupton Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darnall42 wrote: »
    none.about 3 of us tried to upload it tom youtube,only for it to be taken down by sme/emi/warner chappell.same with dailymotion too :(

Thanks for letting me know
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB - it also used to include vintage clips from the 1960s. I caught several of the eight episodes which (I think) aired between mid-July to mid-September 1978 and clearly recall one edition which featured live performances from the Buzzcocks ('Noise Annoys' and 'Love You More') and Siouxsie and the Banshees ('Hong Kong Garden') juxtaposed with black and white footage of the Kinks performing 'You Really Got Me' from the BBC's 1964 Beat Club programme and the 1968 performance of 'This Wheel's On Fire' by Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger and The Trinity from the TOTP archive which in those days were very rarely seen.
    Am I imagining it or did Revolver show the video of Sid Vicious' take on 'My Way' in one of the episodes? I have a vague memory of watching Revolver while at Butlins in Filey in August 1978 and I'm convinced that the video appeared on that episode (which would place the broadcast somewhere between August 5 and August 11 1978). I also have it in my mind that immediately after the programme there was a newsflash announcing that the then Pope (Paul VI) had died (which would make it the evening of the 6th or perhaps 7th). Though I don't think Sid had anything to do with that...
  • faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    Am I imagining it or did Revolver show the video of Sid Vicious' take on 'My Way' in one of the episodes? I have a vague memory of watching Revolver while at Butlins in Filey in August 1978 and I'm convinced that the video appeared on that episode (which would place the broadcast somewhere between August 5 and August 11 1978). I also have it in my mind that immediately after the programme there was a newsflash announcing that the then Pope (Paul VI) had died (which would make it the evening of the 6th or perhaps 7th). Though I don't think Sid had anything to do with that...

I must have missed that episode; there are only three that stick in my mind - the one mentioned in my previous post, one featuring the Stranglers and the Lurkers and another with the Motors and Ian Dury and the Blockheads. I've just watched the Buzzcocks first number on YouTube (Noise Annoys - a B-side) and the audience are just as lively and entertaining as I remember:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3nQ5pI3lsE

On a topical note I see Kate Bush's live performance of 'Them Heavy People' on Revolver in 1978 is also on YouTube so for any fans of hers who might be interested here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsQiBEtqcCA
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Richupton wrote: »
    My apologies if this has already been asked but does a version - full or otherwise - of the 23 march 1978 episode exist on YouTube ?
    Not on YouTube but a good quality one has been uploaded to Vimeo

http://vimeo.com/62537656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must have missed that episode; there are only three that stick in my mind - the one mentioned in my previous post, one featuring the Stranglers and the Lurkers and another with the Motors and Ian Dury and the Blockheads. I've just watched the Buzzcocks first number on YouTube (Noise Annoys - a B-side) and the audience are just as lively and entertaining as I remember:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3nQ5pI3lsE

On a topical note I see Kate Bush's live performance of 'Them Heavy People' on Revolver in 1978 is also on YouTube so for any fans of hers who might be interested here's the link:

I've just googled "sex pistols" "my way" revolver - and found that the video was indeed shown on Revolver the week I was in Butlins, in fact on the first night, Saturday August 5, so at least my mind isn't playing tricks on me! But it is playing tricks on the newsflash about the Pope dying, that would have happened either the following night or the day or night after that (as he died on August 6 1978)

http://www.jungle-records.net/index.php/home/1-newreleases/52-sid-vicious

from the above:

August 1978

5th: Sid is seen on the ‘Revolver’ TV show singing ‘My Way’.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This must be one of her first ever live performances with an actual backing band (as opposed to the TOTP orchestra!).

If you skip to 2:38 you will see Glen Matlock and Billy Idol amongst the audience watching Kate.I've just found a list of acts who appeared live on the programme and the Kate / Rich Kids episode was the first one broadcast, on May 20 1978 which was some two months before the next one was shown.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0305093/episodes?season=1&ref_=tt_eps_sn_1

I'm not sure what Billy Idol was doing there as there's no Generation X in the line-up though I believe Glen and himself were good mates.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This all sounds good stuff, this Revolver show. Before long a few here will be petitioning the BBC to get it shown on BBC4! Or maybe ITV4 if it was the other side as mentioned. No dodgy presenters I take it? The acts on it sound amazing, and now Kate Bush too, whooahh.:)

The mainstream commercial network of ITV, and Channel 4 for that matter, have totally given up on music and anything innovative in this direction, it simply is not good enough.:mad:
  • RichuptonRichupton Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not on YouTube but a good quality one has been uploaded to Vimeo

http://vimeo.com/62537656

Thank you - saw this last night and really appreciate that you guys do this
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I used to watch TOTP and the Old Grey Whistle Test but shame that the Revolver passed me by, seems excellent from the clips I've seen. Its the audience I can't get over, as a poster on youtube said 'a british audience with a pulse'.
    Again, if the equivlient was on now it would feature the likes of Olly Murs, Little Mix, Rita Ora and Cheryl Cole presented by Alan Carr :(
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to watch TOTP and the Old Grey Whistle Test but shame that the Revolver passed me by, seems excellent from the clips I've seen. Its the audience I can't get over, as a poster on youtube said 'a british audience with a pulse'.
    Again, if the equivlient was on now it would feature the likes of Olly Murs, Little Mix, Rita Ora and Cheryl Cole presented by Alan Carr :(

PLEASE, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! :eek:
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the next missing episode will be the savile hosted show from april 27th 1978, it has been repeated on UK gold so we'll get to see it (or see post #21 in this thread ;) )
  • SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to go to school in Fulham and at lunchtime would toddle off to the Beggar's Banquet record shop in North End Road to buy punk singles. I got 'mugged' in there once when a thug demanded my prefect badge (everyone in sixth form was a 'prefect', I wasn't anything special...)

Anyway The Vibrators used to rehearse in the basement of the shop. They were crap then and still are.

Someone mentioned The Lurkers... it was The Lurkers who rehearsed in the basement, not The Vibrators! Oh well, it was a long time ago...
  • merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We probably won't get to see Eruption's 'Musik Laden' performance of 'I Can't Stand The Rain' on TOTP 1978 as the relevant shows (23-02-78 and 23-03-78) were both hosted by DLT.

One of these shows I bought online a few years back, I've got it somewhere. Must have been recorded from UK Gold.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No need to use foul language on this thread Charlie! ;)

Acts popping up to sing one, or two "songs" on commercial TV chat shows doesn't cut it as music whatsoever. Neither does the no-X Factor either, which is primarily "entertainment", and I use that word very loosely indeed. I like Alan Carr, but that show has gone to pot. I am sick to death of hearing that the generic/anonymous Saturdays girl group are appearing on it. Are they contracted to do so every series? They to me are one of the worst, most generic, nothingy creations of recent times. A great example as I previously said of not the cream, but the crap rising to the top.

I thought what Ramraider said about his pupils singing along to Suzi Quatro was fabulous!

I recall ITV's ill fated attempt to copy TOTP around about 1987/88 with Kid Jensen (traitor :p) on a weekly show called The Roxy, which used the commercial network chart that he presented. That show lasted a short time. It was okay, but in terms of the charts it was irrelevant to me. Only TOTP counted on that.
    Not forgetting the ITV Saturday chart show, which okay it was just videos but was something. I have a few from 1994 and even then they looked a lot more varied musically. No idea how they used to collate their chart for that show. It was always a mystery to me.

Channel 4 had The White Room back in the 90's if I recall, not to mention its 80's Tube, which I now regret that I never watched a single edition of, despite being a teen throughout its entire 5 year run.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Not forgetting the ITV Saturday chart show, which okay it was just videos but was something. I have a few from 1994 and even then they looked a lot more varied musically. No idea how they used to collate their chart for that show. It was always a mystery to me.

I've got 7 three hour VHS tapes of videos taped from that show dated between 1989 and 1992. Some rare stuff on there. One day, I'll get the money together to convert them and put some on youtube.
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    This all sounds good stuff, this Revolver show. Before long a few here will be petitioning the BBC to get it shown on BBC4! Or maybe ITV4 if it was the other side as mentioned. No dodgy presenters I take it? The acts on it sound amazing, and now Kate Bush too, whooahh.:)

The mainstream commercial network of ITV, and Channel 4 for that matter, have totally given up on music and anything innovative in this direction, it simply is not good enough.:mad:

Peter Cook was the presenter and he was meant to be dodgy!:D It was on ITV. I`m not sure ITV4 would repeat it, to be honest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Misty08 wrote: »
    Peter Cook was the presenter and he was meant to be dodgy!:D It was on ITV. I`m not sure ITV4 would repeat it, to be honest.
    It would be good to see ITV repeat it though. I wonder if ITV have the programme in their vaults though, some of the old ITV regional programming has apparently vanished (as in it can't be traced) when the regional ITV stations who originally made the programme lost the franchise at the end of 1992. I once read the master tapes for some programmes were put into storage and were lost in the system in the mid 90s.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be good to see ITV repeat it though. I wonder if ITV have the programme in their vaults though, some of the old ITV regional programming has apparently vanished (as in it can't be traced) when the regional ITV stations who originally made the programme lost the franchise at the end of 1992. I once read the master tapes for some programmes were put into storage and were lost in the system in the mid 90s.

I`ve seen clips on You Tube. Not sure if it is all on there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also Peter Cook wasn't the official presenter, it was Chris Hill. Peter Cook played the part of the world worn and weary club owner who was supposed to hate the acts who were appearing and who often made negative comments about them!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also Peter Cook wasn't the official presenter, it was Chris Hill. Peter Cook played the part of the world worn and weary club owner who was supposed to hate the acts who were appearing and who often made negative comments about them!
    Ah, funnily enough I can`t remember Chris Hill!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Misty08 wrote: »
    Ah, funnily enough I can`t remember Chris Hill!:D
    It's OK, neither can I!
  • faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just found a list of acts who appeared live on the programme and the Kate / Rich Kids episode was the first one broadcast, on May 20 1978 which was some two months before the next one was shown.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0305093/episodes?season=1&ref_=tt_eps_sn_1

Thanks for the above link which I found very interesting. I didn't know anything about the first episode in May. The first Revolver show I watched was the second one on 22 July 1978 when the Stranglers were the headliners. It appears I was mistaken about the b & w clip of 'This Wheel's On Fire' which was shown two weeks later than I thought. The 1964 Kinks clip I referred to is actually from 'The Beat Room' - not 'The Beat Club' which was a German pop show co-hosted by DLT in the late sixties.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's OK, neither can I!

Do you want to start a new thread for Revolver, Robbie? :D

As far as ITV/Channel 4 are concerned, cookery is the new rock'n'roll. :(
This discussion has been closed.