2 ethernet cables running from 1 powerline adaptor?

CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello
Is it possible to use a socket doubler, so that I can have 2 ethernet cables running from one powerline adaptor?
I`m trying to use two computers (one a desktop, one a Sunray device) and want to connect both via powerline to my router. The router is in a different part of the house and I can`t run long ethernet cables from there. The wifi signal where the computer is is very poor. I`m intending to use the same keyboard monitor and mouse connected to both the computer and the Sunray via a KVM switch. I can use two separate powerlines adaptors (at the receiving end) one for the computer and one for the Sunray, but I was wondering whether I could instead just connect both computer and Sunray to the one powerline via a socket doubler. Are there such things, and will it work?
Would be grateful for any advice.

Comments

• 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Havent used powerline adaptors, but think youre after something like

http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/networking/network-ethernet-switches-home-smalloffice-1-to-5-port-switch

to plug into youre powerline adaptor.
    sure somebody else on DS will be alomg to confirm , or not if that would work :)
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    I use an unmanaged network switch to distribute the network from a PLA to a PS3. TV, Sonos and WD Media player - one of these,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-SG1005D-Gigabit-Unmanaged-Desktop/dp/B000N99BBC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424602754&sr=8-2&keywords=tp+link+network+switch
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    It'll work just fine. Personally I'd get a "gigabit" switch to allow for faster local speeds between devices where the hardware allows. You should be able to get one for no more than £15 online.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/275-7230572-7908413?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=5%20port%20gigabit%20ethernet%20switch&sprefix=5+port+gigabit+ethernet+switch%2Caps
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Combiner/splitter socket doublers are used in pairs.

Simple vid here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yJFLElDPCA

Not all the wires (also known as 'pairs' inside an ethernet cable are used), so these devices use them. Effectively creating two cables in one.

BUT, I can't find any reports they work with powerline adapters because the 'unused' wire pairs may be used for another purpose.

So buy a Switch Box as above posters say, in this case.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Combiner/splitter socket doublers are used in pairs.

Simple vid here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yJFLElDPCA

Not all the wires (also known as 'pairs' inside an ethernet cable are used), so these devices use them. Effectively creating two cables in one.

BUT, I can't find any reports they work with powerline adapters because the 'unused' wire pairs may be used for another purpose.

So buy a Switch Box as above posters say, in this case.
    I seriously doubt a port doubler would work on a powerline adapter.

Most adapters I've seen encode a single ethernet connection onto the mains wiring. With a port doubler it would have to encode two and I haven't seen any claiming to do that. So at best you'd get the one signal on the normal pairs and the signal on the unused pairs goes nowhere.

And if you did have an adapter that encodes two discrete ethernet connections I suspect it would have two RJ45 ports on it anyway.

And also you have to differentiate between Port Doublers that are specifically wired to combine two separate ethernet connections into one cable and split them out at the other end and simple RJ45 splitters. A RJ45 splitter wires both sockets in parallel, all four pairs, so cannot be used to combine/split two ethernet connections.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are adaptors with multiple ports, e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-PA4020PKIT-Powerline-Configuration-Streaming/dp/B00LV41PO4 but as people are saying they won't be "separate signals", it will be like plugging in an ethernet switch into an adapter with one port
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1saintly wrote: »
    Havent used powerline adaptors, but think youre after something like

http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/networking/network-ethernet-switches-home-smalloffice-1-to-5-port-switch

to plug into youre powerline adaptor.
    sure somebody else on DS will be alomg to confirm , or not if that would work :)

Yes PLA's and switches work together OK. I have 2 pc's in another room connected to my home network using a switch + PLA.
  • CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds a lot more complicated than I`d feared! I thought it would be a simple case of plugging a socket doubler into the ethernet socket on my powerline at the receiving end, then running separate ethernet cables from there to the two computer devices. Which means of course that the powerline adaptor would be running both of those internet streams back to the router at the same time, although in reality it wouldn`t matter if PC Gadget 1 dropped its internet connection whilst I had toggled over to PC Gadget 2 with the KVM switch. It`s unlikely I`d want to be working on both at the same time - just trying to find a way of avoiding having to keep moving the single ethernet cable from one to the other.
    I have seen an "RJ45 doubler 8 wires" which I`m inclined to try (well, it`s cheap)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0018M9B6I/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1FWNCMMRYS90J12TQBMJ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455333147&pf_rd_i=468294

Or the switch mentioned by JulesandSand.

Thanks to all. Most grateful.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those "doublers" are designed only for normal ethernet wiring not homeplugs

The unused 4 wires (2pairs) quite often are used to provide power over ethernet for things like voip phones etc.

just get a cheap 8 port switch for a few quid and connect it to the homeplug
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A socket doubler may - in theory - actually work as Ethernet still supports Carrier Sense Multiple Access with Collision Detection (CSMA/CD) for backwards compatibility reasons.

(The very first versions of Ethernet worked in this way with all computers connected via a common cable.)

Link speeds will be very slow if both devices are in use at the same time though.

I really wouldn't recommend this as a long term solution though. Modern Ethernet networks are not intended to function in this way and results will be unpredictable at best.

My advice is in line with the other posters - to either get a small switch or add an extra powerline adapter / upgrade to a model with more than one socket.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CherylFan wrote: »
    Sounds a lot more complicated than I`d feared! I thought it would be a simple case of plugging a socket doubler into the ethernet socket on my powerline at the receiving end, then running separate ethernet cables from there to the two computer devices. Which means of course that the powerline adaptor would be running both of those internet streams back to the router at the same time, although in reality it wouldn`t matter if PC Gadget 1 dropped its internet connection whilst I had toggled over to PC Gadget 2 with the KVM switch. It`s unlikely I`d want to be working on both at the same time - just trying to find a way of avoiding having to keep moving the single ethernet cable from one to the other.
    I have seen an "RJ45 doubler 8 wires" which I`m inclined to try (well, it`s cheap)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0018M9B6I/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1FWNCMMRYS90J12TQBMJ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455333147&pf_rd_i=468294

Or the switch mentioned by JulesandSand.

Thanks to all. Most grateful.
    You cannot use one of those socket doublers on an ethernet connection. Whether a direct cable connection or via powerline adapters. They are not intended to be used for that purpose. Despite what the customer review says.

All 8 wires in the plugs are wired in parallel which means that if you connect two PCs to such a plug you would connect both their TX pairs and both their RX pairs together all the time. This will end in tears, though perhaps not damaging the network adapters they certainly will not function correctly. You might get away with it if you completely shut down the PC you are not using (may even have to switch it off at the mains as well to completely kill the network adapter) but even that cannot be guaranteed to work.

The only way to do it is to use either a powerline adapter with built in network switch or a separate network switch. That way it makes no difference how many devices are on or off, the switch takes care of sorting out how the data gets transferred to and from the router properly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems pretty clear that a proper network switch is the way forward.
    Very grateful to all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    A socket doubler may - in theory - actually work as Ethernet still supports Carrier Sense Multiple Access with Collision Detection (CSMA/CD) for backwards compatibility reasons.

(The very first versions of Ethernet worked in this way with all computers connected via a common cable.)

Link speeds will be very slow if both devices are in use at the same time though.

I really wouldn't recommend this as a long term solution though. Modern Ethernet networks are not intended to function in this way and results will be unpredictable at best.

My advice is in line with the other posters - to either get a small switch or add an extra powerline adapter / upgrade to a model with more than one socket.

I have never known a RJ45 doubler work unless only one device was powered on at a time. Every time both have been powered up things have fallen apart very quickly.

I've used coax cable many years ago to wire up multiple computers on a network daisy chaining from one to the other. Never done it with Cat5 or similar cabling though.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't a wi;fi extender (repeater) be used half way between?

Also it might be worth looking at getting a better router if it struggles. At my last place I could get a decent signal at the top of a large 2 storey house and at the bottom of the 30ft garden from a router at a central ground floor point. It might be worth experimenting with different channels.
  • LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe some of the responses in this thread.

This is a simple problem with a simple solution. You need a switch at the end with more than one device.

Or, if the OP hasn't bought the homeplug devices yet, just buy the WD Livewire ones, they have 4 ethernet ports on every device.

http://support.wdc.com/product/install.asp?groupid=1707&lang=en

That's what I have transmitting ethernet from my internet connection upstairs to my location downstairs behind the TV where I have multiple devices that need to get online.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    I have never known a RJ45 doubler work unless only one device was powered on at a time. Every time both have been powered up things have fallen apart very quickly.

I've used coax cable many years ago to wire up multiple computers on a network daisy chaining from one to the other. Never done it with Cat5 or similar cabling though.

Yeah, I've only ever had such a setup working once, and it certainly wasn't what I'd call reliable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loobster wrote: »
    I can't believe some of the responses in this thread.

This is a simple problem with a simple solution. You need a switch at the end with more than one device.

Or, if the OP hasn't bought the homeplug devices yet, just buy the WD Livewire ones, they have 4 ethernet ports on every device.

http://support.wdc.com/product/install.asp?groupid=1707&lang=en

That's what I have transmitting ethernet from my internet connection upstairs to my location downstairs behind the TV where I have multiple devices that need to get online.

I`ve been using Powerline for some time (TPLink) to link two separate PCs upstairs to the router downstairs - BT Home Hub 4, only a few weeks old. It`s the need to have this second computer gadget for my wife`s work in the same upstairs room as her own pc, and link both via powerline to the router, which is causing the issue. I could just use a separate powerline for the Sunray device but the plug socket into which I`d have to plug isn`t well placed. I`ll have a look at the WD Livewire you helpfully mentioned -thanks. Really appreciate the help.
  • dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    I have a similar set up in my bedroom and can confirm it works.

I have a TP-Link 200Mbps homeplug plugged into the mains. Connected to it I have an ethernet cable which is connected to one of these. I then have my PC, YouView box and PS3 all connnected to the switch.

It really just works just like that, no other setting up required. I've been using this set up for over 2 years and I'm yet to find a problem with it. If only one of the devices is powered on, it uses the full connection speed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Splendid!
    Thanks very much indeed
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As several people have already suggested, if you haven't purchased anything yet then you can get powerline with built in switch which will be your neatest solution. You can even get them with built in wifi as well so you can extend your wifi network.

Something like this Solwise kit has 2 x ethernet, wifi, 500mb (real speed will be much less but faster then your internet) and pass through socket so you can still use the socket.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/16568-solwise-plv-500av-piggy-kit-v/