Friends Gripes

Comments

• Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    That whole story with Ross and Rachel dating a father and daughter was a bit weird.
    Ross cowering at the big bad dad - stand up for yourself you wuss.
    Just like with Rachels dad.
  • CombatHamsterCombatHamster Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes having Jennifer's then real life husband pretending to hate her must have seemed hilarious to the writers on paper.

I thought Brad was a bit hammy in this episode. He was trying so hard to be funny that it came across as OTT. However Christina Applegate, who played Rachel's sister on two occasions, I thought was brilliant and was natural with it.

Yeah I agree, the thanksgiving one she was in is one of my all time favourite episodes.
  • RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The more I look back on the show, the more I realise how much of a complete mismatch Rachel and Ross really were as a couple. Back then, I loved them together but over the years I've started to realise how unfit they were together and that maybe they shouldn't have gotten back together for the finale. The whole spark just wasn't there anymore after the whole "We were on a break!" situation. I kinda wish that they stuck to the original ending where they wouldn't reunite in the final episode.

I also wish Rachel pursued a longer relationship with other characters like Tag or Gavin! I thought Gavin was pretty funny and it's a real shame that he only appeared in a few episodes. I feel he really did have good chemistry with Rachel and it's disappointing that it wasn't able to develop any further than a kiss on the balcony. Joey and Rachel was awful. Ugh.

Phoebe also should have been with David, not Mike. I thought they were much better suited together. They made it seem like he was her true love and then once he came back, It just seemed like she just dumped on the spot in the Barbados episode. I felt bad for the guy. Mike is a really nice guy (and as great as Paul Rudd is), Mike was just very bland and forgettable as a character.
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I agree, the thanksgiving one she was in is one of my all time favourite episodes.

That is one of the best Thanksgiving episodes. She calls Monica "Crazy plate lady", she hopes that Ross & Rachel die so she can get to look after Emma and she thinks Phoebe is called Emma and whenever Phoebe corrects her by saying her actual name she thinks she is some mad woman making a funny noise.
  • decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is one of the best Thanksgiving episodes. She calls Monica "Crazy plate lady", she hopes that Ross & Rachel die so she can get to look after Emma and she thinks Phoebe is called Emma and whenever Phoebe corrects her by saying her actual name she thinks she is some mad woman making a funny noise.

I love that ep too...Joey - "who has to die for me to get Emma?" :D

Oops not a gripe..hang on...watch Rachels hair in the scene in, I think it was TOW George Stephonopholis (SP??) - when she is talking to her friends at Central Perk about her new life. She hadn't had the Rachel cut yet and her do was quite shaggy. At the end of the scene the camera cuts away from her to her friends, then cuts back to Rachel and her hair has the Rachel Cut! They obviously filmed and added that bit of footage in later on...
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it odd how Joey was too stupid to realise that Chandler and Kathy had already met because Chandler was trying to chat up Kathy. Only just got the "I like it in the stern line". Both Joey and Chandler had forgotten that Joey went on a date with another girl when with Kathy

Richard's son is introduced to everyone in the gang, but surely he would have already known Ross and Rachel?
  • parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    Just Vogue wrote: »
    Chandler is meant to hate dogs and apparently can't stand being anywhere near them. However in the episode where Pheobe asks Monica and Chandler to look after 3 dogs they quite excitedly say yes

Chandler wasn't excited, when Phoebe tells them it's actually the triplets. Chandler says "I was iffy when it was puppies"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phoebe claimed to live in Prague in one episode. Clearly a lie

I find it odd that Phoebe seemed to approve of Frank and Alice when she had opposed them so strongly in their previous appearance

Also, Joey works with Monica and Ross in back to back episodes. Surely those stories could have been spread out
  • Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Phoebe claimed to live in Prague in one episode. Clearly a lie

I find it odd that Phoebe seemed to approve of Frank and Alice when she had opposed them so strongly in their previous appearance

Also, Joey works with Monica and Ross in back to back episodes. Surely those stories could have been spread out

In fairness, Joey had no regular acting work at that time, so it does stand to reason that he would be taking on any work he could.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe not a gripe as Ursula probably changed her views on alcohol.

S1...when Phoebe pretends to be Ursula when trying to break up with Joey. She says 'I can't remember what I said under the bridge. I was so drunk' to whichJoey says 'you don't drink'. 'That's right I don't...I was drunk on you'.

S8...Halloween episode when Sean Penn is on there. Ursula says to him 'time to get me drunk?'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    Maybe not a gripe as Ursula probably changed her views on alcohol.

S1...when Phoebe pretends to be Ursula when trying to break up with Joey. She says 'I can't remember what I said under the bridge. I was so drunk' to whichJoey says 'you don't drink'. 'That's right I don't...I was drunk on you'.

S8...Halloween episode when Sean Penn is on there. Ursula says to him 'time to get me drunk?'

Ursula was a head case, more likely she flat out lied about drinking rather than changing her views. Remember she told Sean Penn's character all sorts of lies including claiming to be a virgin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    Ursula was a head case, more likely she flat out lied about drinking rather than changing her views. Remember she told Sean Penn's character all sorts of lies including claiming to be a virgin.

Much like Phoebe

I know they fell out but where was Ursula when Phoebe "lived on the streets"
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hated Joey and Rachel getting together. None of it ever rang true.
    Forum Member
    I reckon there is no ursula and it was Phoebe all along. Did any of the friends ever see them both together at the same time?
    Did she come to the fancy dress party

Edit: Damn the stalker saw them together at the same time...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the lightning round episode Ross gets annoyed at being asked to be question master saying "I have a job and a child". Stupid line because either Ross had nothing planned that day, or was skipping time with Ben or work to ask the questions

At the end of Joshua's first appearance, Joshua seems to have finished his shopping but in the next episode is back at Bloomingdales doing more shopping. I know he needed to go back to pick up his wallet but the next episode he was back as if nothing happened

The guys Ross played rugby with sounded more Australian or South African than English. Also, why were such a big group of Brits playing rugby in New York who happened to know Emily? Emily clearly wasn't travelling to New York with them or visiting them in New York as she hadn't seen then since the U2 concert that they went to
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the lightning round episode Ross gets annoyed at being asked to be question master saying "I have a job and a child". Stupid line because either Ross had nothing planned that day, or was skipping time with Ben or work to ask the questions

At the end of Joshua's first appearance, Joshua seems to have finished his shopping but in the next episode is back at Bloomingdales doing more shopping. I know he needed to go back to pick up his wallet but the next episode he was back as if nothing happened

The guys Ross played rugby with sounded more Australian or South African than English. Also, why were such a big group of Brits playing rugby in New York who happened to know Emily? Emily clearly wasn't travelling to New York with them or visiting them in New York as she hadn't seen then since the U2 concert that they went to

I thought the bigger guy sounded either Welsh or West Country. The smaller guy sounded like an American putting on a fake English accent, but IMDB suggests he was born in Manchester. His accent certainly didn't sound northern, so maybe it was a case that he was trying to put on a 'less regional' accent and sounded like a complete plum.

Interestingly, the IMDB entry for the bigger guy states he was born in Brooklyn, but it also says he was born in 1941 which means he would have been nearly 60 in that episode, so I think that could be an error in the listing.

As to your other point, I quite agree it seems an unlikely coincidence there would be such a group that happened to know Emily but for me I find it even more unlikely that they would just happen to bump into Emily in what seems to be a fairly obscure backstreet somewhere in the village.

Edit: just watched that scene again and it seems it is right in front of Central Perk, so not as obscure as I first thought but still a huge coincidence they would just bump into someone Emily knows right there.

Also, the bigger guy seems to cover 4 or 5 accents in a 2 minute scene, I can see exactly why you said Aussie or South African, but I still maintain at some points he sounds Welsh or Bristolian.

Another gripe about the scene is the smaller guy asks Ross to meet at Riverside Park. That park is like 4 miles long, unless there is a specific and well known rugby pitch in the park, it does seem a bit vague. At least they didn't say Central Park, which is about ten times the size.
    Forum Member
    Joshua came back to buy more stuff off Rachel coz she is irresistible and Rachel and men lose their senses around her... Or something.

Emilys plot and back story was flawed from the get go.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member

To be fair he lost ALL of his clothes, Maybe he underestimated what he needed to get by day to day so was back for more

And in a later episode he specifically mentions he came back just because he liked her (Cheerleader episode maybe?)
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The rugby lads accent was all over the place but as someone said, it sounded like a cross between Bristolian and Welsh.

With Joshua. I have a feeling that the writers felt the need to have him for longer than he was needed because him and Jen were dating at the timr. Maybe it was cheap and easy to have him around. IMO thereewas no need to have him in more than 2 or 3 eps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon there is no ursula and it was Phoebe all along. Did any of the friends ever see them both together at the same time?
    Did she come to the fancy dress party

Edit: Damn the stalker saw them together at the same time...

Yes Ursula did come to the fancy dress party. She has her arm around him while Sean Penn was regaling Phoebe of how they first met and the things that they had in common.
    I know they fell out but where was Ursula when Phoebe "lived on the streets"

A very good point, where was Ursula when Phoebe was on the street? Every tale Phoebe told about the street was me, myself and I but no mention of where her sister was during these times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In one of the later episodes Ross makes an "air quote" sign with his fingers and Joey says when people do this "" (air quotes) he doesn't know what it means and proceeds to do it at the wrong time. Yet in earlier episodes he uses the "" at the correct times, once when Ross is taking the mickey out of actors and Joey says heh, I'm an "actor" to. Another episode Chandler is trying to get into Monica's secret closet and Joey is helping him when Joey asks if Chandler has a bobby pin. When Chandler says I'll see if Monica has one Joey then says sure "Monica" while doing the air quotes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    To be fair he lost ALL of his clothes, Maybe he underestimated what he needed to get by day to day so was back for more

And in a later episode he specifically mentions he came back just because he liked her (Cheerleader episode maybe?)

Just watched that episode and Joshua did say that. He mentions not needing to buy a suit for work, but clearly doesn't work if he was buying suits from Rachel
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    The rugby lads accent was all over the place but as someone said, it sounded like a cross between Bristolian and Welsh.

With Joshua. I have a feeling that the writers felt the need to have him for longer than he was needed because him and Jen were dating at the timr. Maybe it was cheap and easy to have him around. IMO thereewas no need to have him in more than 2 or 3 eps.

Apparently Emily was from Shropshire, so that would make sense

Because Rachel ruined Ross and Emily's wedding, surely Emily's uncle would have fired Rachel from Bloomingdales
    Forum Member
    Yeah that bothered me. Even if he didn't sack her just a simple one line "and Mr Waltham is mad about the whole honeymoon thing so I have to avoid him" type thing from Rachel would satisfy us gripers.
  • Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    Something that always irritates me (apologies if it's been mentioned, haven't read the entire thread :blush:) is when Rachel refers to one of her sisters as having a "masculine energy", but in later episodes we obviously see them both and neither of them could be described as masculine!