Options

Deirdre's Top Ten Moments Article/ Memories of Deirdre

wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
Forum Member
Hi all

Here's a piece I wrote looking back at the memories of Deirdre.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/01/20/coronation-street-legend-anne-kirkbride-dies-the-best-moments-of-deirdre-barlow-5028318/

What are your favourite Deirdre moments and lines?

Comments

• Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on this piece.

I didn't now that you were a proper journo type these days. I'm in awe! :D
  • Options
    MaisieMooMooMaisieMooMoo Posts: 1,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lovely tribute. I really enjoyed reading it.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lovely piece Mr S - and at least remembering the sheep stare-off and the Manchester Tart has made me smile. :)
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,896
    Forum Member
    Great article, brought back some memories, what a life Deirdre had!

I don't know about favourite moments but we always laughed when Deirdre rolled her eyes and said 'Aw Ken!'

Bless you Anne RIP
  • Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about when she slept with Dev?!!?!
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remembered all of those scene with a smile on my mouth and a tear in my eye.:):cry:
  • Options
    wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all of your lovely comments. I felt quite emotional writing it. Deirdre was my absolute favourite

I actually had that in but it was cut out due to word count!
  • Options
    trevon1trevon1 Posts: 6,530
    Forum Member
    wallo mr slug,

Loved this piece (as I do all your writing)! Made me tear up a bit.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,851
    Forum Member
    I really nice piece of writing there.

I am old enough and lucky enough to recall how the Deirdre/Ken/Mike storyline gripped the whole country back in the early 80's and the final climax was so good.

Some really great memories there, thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    I loved reading that Mr Slug and it brought back so many memories I remember T-shirts were made with the slogan "free the Weatherfield One"

A lovely written piece which can't have been easy for you to do seeing as Deidre was your favourite character.
    Reading that has left me with a lump in my throat but also a smile at the memories.

Thanks for sharing :)
  • Options
    RyJaRyJa Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lovely article.

I remember a scene with Eileen a while back when she asked Deirdre about where she got her belts from, and when Deirdre said she'd get Eileen one she said 'no thanks' and the look on her face was priceless.

May she RIP
  • Options
    oranges71oranges71 Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That cringeworthy scene of them in bed would feature in a bottom top ten. Oh I do wish you hadn't reminded of that,

Deirdre's strained neck deserves a mention.
  • Options
    Lady VoldemortLady Voldemort Posts: 10,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My earliest Corrie memory involved Deirdre. It was when a truck crashed into the Rovers and they thought Tracey was buried under the rubble in her pushchair. I was only about 4/5 years old myself. I remember driving my mum nuts banging on and on about Tracey and what had become of her :D

Deirdre seemed to be shaping up nicely to take on Blanche's fabulous mantle. I just can't imagine the Street without her.
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Somebody has uploaded the Deirdre edition of the Coronation Street collection to youtube. The Coronation Street collection has a few different episodes each centred around iconic Corrie characters, so Ken, Rita, Des, The Duckworths, Bet etc have one too.

Here is Deirdre's one (also featuring a lot of vintage Blanche)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAohguPM4Gk

and ones which Deirdre feature heavily in (The loves of Ken Barlow and Ken and Mike)

http://youtu.be/G6u8AvRbXzI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVj6j5xS-i4
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    My earliest Corrie memory involved Deirdre. It was when a truck crashed into the Rovers and they thought Tracey was buried under the rubble in her pushchair. I was only about 4/5 years old myself. I remember driving my mum nuts banging on and on about Tracey and what had become of her :D

Deirdre seemed to be shaping up nicely to take on Blanche's fabulous mantle. I just can't imagine the Street without her.

aww yea, for me too ..think i must have been around 8 or 9 then
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    My favourite Deirdre moment was that time she said "Ken, do something" ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Gail throw Manchester tart at her, went straight in her face and Deirdre shouts, Ken Do something..:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    The many scenes with her mother blanche we're my favourite, one I enjoyed in particular was when blanche mistakenly thought ken was having a gay affair and blanche was explaining to Deirdre her reasoning, it was very funny, does anyone know where to get that clip?