Indian Summers [Channel 4]

Comments

• Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saw about 20 minutes of this last night and had to switch off. Another example of how they get drama so wrong these days. The writing and acting were terrible. Felt like another soap.

What do people mean when a drama, such as this, is compared to a Soap :confused:

IMO, it came into it's own, last night. It was fast moving & the acting was spot on. A brilliant episode - I really enjoyed it.....
  • BabanBaban Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saw about 20 minutes of this last night and had to switch off. Another example of how they get drama so wrong these days. The writing and acting were terrible. Felt like another soap.

If you hadn't seen a previous episode it would mean nothing to you. However having watched the entire series it makes a nice change from the usual period dramas as it's historically acurate and is very educating unlike others which are sometimes just all about the going ons of the characters. The slow burn effect had made a positive impact as it leaves many unanswered questions and I do genuinely look forward to the next episode.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,610
    Forum Member
    Of all the drama series on at the moment Indian Summers is far and away the best. Better than Banished and much better than the sick-inducing Poldark.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wasted on Channel 4.
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I was initially disappointed by the first few episodes as I found the pace rather plodding, there were far too many characters and none of them seemed the slightest bit interesting, but it is now coming together beautifully. The latest episode was wonderfully gripping and I can't wait to see how this series concludes. I'm also thrilled that Channel 4 have renewed it already despite of the less than impressing ratings.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Of all the drama series on at the moment Indian Summers is far and away the best. Better than Banished and much better than the sick-inducing Poldark.

Definitely better than Poldaaark! More drama.
  • pauljoansspauljoanss Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poldark is typical Sunday night "light" drama, not really my thing.

Banished is grinding misery, mainly based around sexual relationships, just seems to be so constructed. Very weird the way the uniformed soldiers seem to be always just standing around in the background pulling faces. Stopped watching after 3 episodes.

Indian Summer is no better or worse than the other two. Not really sure what is wrong with it, since there are so many ingredients which I would normally enjoy (remembering Jewel In The Crown). But there is something lacking which makes me on the verge of not bothering any more. So many characters with so many conflicting facets, no real flow to all the story lines and most relationships do not feel realistic, eg Indians/ British spontaneously falling for each other, the bearded missionary and his wife/orphanage lady, the main character and his sister + his lover + her brother. Shame such a rich opportunity appears to have been wasted.
  • pauljoansspauljoanss Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only person watching this, why no comments after such a dramatic episode.

Still very confused over many of the story lines but definitely more upbeat this week.
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,142
    Forum Member
    pauljoanss wrote: »
    Am I the only person watching this, why no comments after such a dramatic episode.

Still very confused over many of the story lines but definitely more upbeat this week.

Nope, you are not alone but I watched Poldark first and enjoyed both.

It did take me a few episodes to get the various characters and plotlines but I am really into it now and looking forward to next week...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cynthia must be the biggest beeetch on TV at the moment!
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am still watching and also watch after Poldark.

Ralph is growing a pair at last handling bitch by sending her off home to England. Thought perhaps she might have a accident:D:D Standing up to Cynthia.

McLeod is back next week.
  • CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the lack of comments on here is indicative of the number of people watching then the cast are lucky that this has already been recommissioned.

I was sure there would be a lot of comment after the last two episodes but there are very few indeed.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps a lack of comment is due to viewers going work/school/college next day and having to deal with that first. Well that's my excuse, I just happen to have a rare break in my work schedule otherwise I would have waited until I'm home later on.

Yes a dramatic episode, I was literally on the edge of my bed when Ralph's sister and Aafrin (sp?) got it on as the way the camera panned around the room made me think that they would get caught by someone looking in from the window!
    I love how the scriptwriters had slipped in the bangle from Adam's deceased mum into the story and how it got recognised. I am intrigued with the next episode where Ralph now is orchestrating Cynthia's downfall. Can't believe it's the last episode next week, I'm still astounded how good this drama has become after what was IMO a slow start.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CABINET wrote: »
    If the lack of comments on here is indicative of the number of people watching then the cast are lucky that this has already been recommissioned.

I was sure there would be a lot of comment after the last two episodes but there are very few indeed.

I actually thought Ralph would walk in, as he was telling fiance about the garden shed!!!!:o
  • BabanBaban Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may be in the minority here but I like Ralph and Madeline together. When she broke down yesterday and he comforted her by saying "I love you, I know I don't say it enough but I do" was rather sweet. It'll probably be spoiled when she finds out about Adam/Jaya though. She might think he killed her.
  • lindenlealindenlea Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also, watch Poldark on a Sunday evening and record Indian Summers. I had two episodes to catch up with yesterday and thought they were both gripping. I can't wait to see how the final episode unfolds (although a day later than broadcast!).

I'll be very happy to see vile Cynthia losing her grip and hope Sarah leaves for England without causing trouble, but feel there may be a twist to that story thread. I worry about the fates of the characters I like: Aafrin, Sooni, Mr Raworth, Leena, Ian McLeod, Mr Sood and, to a lesser extent, Alice, Ralph and Madeleine.

I've never found the series slow or dull - it's all fascinating and detailed to me. Unlike Banished, which I'm watching but will be relieved when it's over, I shall be sorry when I've seen the last episode of the series. I hope nothing is left hanging for series two, which I understand will be set a few years later.
  • TweenyTweeny Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    Does anyone think Cynthia is going to burn the Simla club down rather than open it for everyone. Maybe she will perish inside also.

Loving Ralph. Couldn't get what was implied by Madeleine's dream sequence just before she found her brother dead. Also who did she mean when Ralph showed her the pergola and she started crying?
    Forum Member
    Excellent final episode, and to think, I nearly gave up watching.
    Glad there will be another series...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good final episode, though the last scene was a bit disappointing. Good discussion on Twitter
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So none of us even considered the Indian servant as the murderer:blush:

Well he had a speaking part in episode one and then only last week had a few words:D

Alice and Aafrin better now tell Ralph, turns out he might not take it well after all.

I actually thought he might turn and push Cynthia down those steps going up to the club, then say she was drunk and fell.

McLeod, a man of the people and a hero :):):):):):) I am hoping the ashes were not for the roses as the police chief said and really his friend.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cynthia has to be the most repellent character I have seen for many a long year.

Very disappointed that Ralph made up with her and also that he let an innocent man hang.

Funniest line of the night had to be "Are you standing up or sitting down, I can't tell?" !!
    Forum Member
    Cynthia has to be the most repellent character I have seen for many a long year.

Very disappointed that Ralph made up with her and also that he let an innocent man hang.

Funniest line of the night had to be "Are you standing up or sitting down, I can't tell?" !!

And so well played by Julie Walters, she just oozed nastiness!

Anybody any ideas on the ratings? I am sure I read that the opening episode had over 5m viewers but today's review on Digital Spy is saying last night had 830k.

Of course there are probably a lot of folks like me who watched Poldark and recorded Indian Summers but that would not account for such a huge difference.

I am pleased the powers that be have already decided to do a second series!
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    The overnight ratings are hugely disappointing for such a high quality series but I think the consolidated ratings are better i.e. many people did what I did and recorded it so they could i) watch 'Poldark' and ii) whizz through the adverts.

Full marks for Ch4 for commissioning a drama with scenes that last for more than 30 seconds.

The final episode was a little disappointing for me as it didn't seem to build to any real conclusion but I can't wait for series 2.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure why he did that when at least two other people knew who the real killer was.

Aafrin's dad really touched me with his medals.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,610
    Forum Member
    At least Aafarin has properly had his eyes opened to the true nature of the urbane but nasty Ralph.