Formula E Coverage 2015

TheSubaru2012TheSubaru2012 Posts: 3,850
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Formula E Website:

http://www.fiaformulae.com/

TV Details:

ITV4

ITV4 Broadcast all 11 rounds live, practice and qualifying are shown live online at the official Formula E site.

BT Sport

Show highlights of all 11 rounds the day after the race has finished.

Next Race

Long Beach, USA - Round 6

At last a thread for Formula E Coverage!

Comments

• Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It 's weird watching car racing without any noise from the engines. Also, they have a whole new car half way through the race.

They are going to have to change that. The race is dominated by use of the battery - even in the practice, one racer was penalised five grid places for 'using too much energy'. There was a good crowd in Miami, but good publicity for a new thing can easily get a good crowd, the first time.

My guess is that the formula will be replaced by one with hybrid cars and limited petrol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://twitter.com/f1broadcasting/status/577045043992748032
    UK Ratings: Live coverage of @FIAformulaE from Miami on @ITV4 averaged 150k (0.7%), peaking with 269k (1.3%) at 20:45. @overnightstv

Poor ratings even when you consider that F1 was in the morning, rating doesn't help with it being on ITV4 as the channel only get's around 10m views a week.

What would be good is that the last 2 rounds of the season (London) could be moved to ITV as suggested by @f1broadcasting.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/f1broadcasting/status/568343210248040448

What's interesting is that Jennie actually retweeted that comment so that might be a hint that it's going on ITV although I can't confirm anything yet.
  • Options
    jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suzy Perry...pure MILF>:)
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jojoeno wrote: »

But she's childless!
  • Options
    CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But she's childless!

And she has nothing to do with this thread.
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    jojoeno wrote: »

how old are you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://twitter.com/f1broadcasting/status/577418601721905152

Formula E Highlights on ITV4 got 71k viewers
  • Options
    racefreakracefreak Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    It 's weird watching car racing without any noise from the engines. Also, they have a whole new car half way through the race.

They are going to have to change that. The race is dominated by use of the battery - even in the practice, one racer was penalised five grid places for 'using too much energy'. There was a good crowd in Miami, but good publicity for a new thing can easily get a good crowd, the first time.

My guess is that the formula will be replaced by one with hybrid cars and limited petrol.

No way they'll go to hybrids. Next year the manufacturers come in and they can develop their own drivetrain. The year after that also the batteries and maybe later design their own complete cars. This season is just a test to see if it can be done with a standard car for all teams. The races have been fantastic so far. The cars will get faster every year and the battery life will increase. In a few years we probably don't need car changes anymore or there will be some quick battery change system in place for sub 10 second pitstops.

I enjoyed the FE race more than the F1 race this weekend. I don't know what other programs get for ratings on ITV4 on a saturday evening? So I don't know if those numbers in this thread are good or bad for a niche sport.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    racefreak wrote: »
    No way they'll go to hybrids. Next year the manufacturers come in and they can develop their own drivetrain. The year after that also the batteries and maybe later design their own complete cars. This season is just a test to see if it can be done with a standard car for all teams. The races have been fantastic so far. The cars will get faster every year and the battery life will increase. In a few years we probably don't need car changes anymore or there will be some quick battery change system in place for sub 10 second pitstops.

They were talking about eventually having wireless charging strips so the cars could recharge mid-race. No idea if/when that would ever happen but it would be impressive if they did. Either way, the whole point of the series is to drive development of electric cars via the competition of motorsport, so I can't see them abandoning that.

However, the series has to survive a few years in order to start fulfilling that, and it's difficult for new single seater series to survive their early years (see A1GP and Superleague Formula).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just learnt another reason why Formula E ratings could be down from Saturday:

Two big shows on ITV and BBC (Voice and Saturday Night Takeaway)
  • Options
    racefreakracefreak Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A1 and Superleague were no official FIA championships. This has a bigger chance to succeed than those 2 series imo.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A1 and Superleague were no official FIA championships. This has a bigger chance to succeed than those 2 series imo.

True, but it's hardly likely the FIA are going to pump in endless amounts of money to make Formula E work, so that means Formula E is liable to be subject to the same problems those other series had in that in the early years it's lots of expenditure without much sponsorship or money from crowds due to the low exposure.

I read an article (think it was Autosport) that said there were rumours of cash flow problems just before some new investors came on board recently. Now I'm not saying there's any truth to that, but it wouldn't be massively surprising if there were money issues, it's not simple to get a new single seater series off the ground.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think that Formula E is already succeeding, it's possibly the best single seater the FIA have running at the moment, now all we need is new manufacturers to come in and higher tv ratings.

PS: haven't watched a single Formula E race on TV, must change that for me before the end of the season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Formula E at Long Beach coverage will start at 11:00pm BST on the 4th April on ITV4

Highlights will follow the next day at 9:25am on ITV4.

http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/guide/television.aspx#
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Practice will be live online today at around 4:15pm.

http://fiaformulae.com/en/live-streaming.aspx

ITV4 Will be on air tonight for the race at 11pm with highlights on Easter Sunday at 9:25am.

BT Sport 2 are showing highlights of the race at 9pm Easter Sunday and 3am Tuesday morning.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    solarflare wrote: »
    They were talking about eventually having wireless charging strips so the cars could recharge mid-race. No idea if/when that would ever happen but it would be impressive if they did. Either way, the whole point of the series is to drive development of electric cars via the competition of motorsport, so I can't see them abandoning that.

Just to pick up on that...

One of the daftest things about Fe, IMO, is the way they are forced to swap cars mid-race because the batteries can't last an entire race.

Given the way the FIA have stopped F1 teams from running a 3rd chassis, restricted engines and gearboxes and implemented fuel restrictions in the name of environmentalism and economy, it seems to fly in the face of both of those ideals for Fe to run two entire cars per race.

And, besides, more fundamentally, it makes a complete joke of the entire concept of EVs because in the real world you can't stop half way through your journey and swap to a different car to finish your trip.

One of the biggest advances that needs to be made in the field of EVs, IMO, is the idea of standardised, modular, batteries and Fe should really be driving that IMO.
    Let the teams design cars with the batteries built into a detachable "sled" underneath them.
    They pull into the pits, drop the flat battery out, replace it with a new one and continue the race.

That way, you reduce the car and shipping budget for the team, you're staying "on-message" with the whole economy/environmentalism thing, you're saving the teams the hassle to transporting and fettling 2 cars, you're helping drive development of modular battery packs in the real world and, importantly, you're creating additional strategic interest in the races by allowing the teams to decide if they want to build big, heavy, batteries and do only one stop or if, perhaps, they'd rather build lighter battery packs and do 2 or more stops during the race.
  • Options
    VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scott Speed getting imterrupted by Nicky Shields...

Who wouldn't want to get interrupted by Nicky :p
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks great but wrong time slot.
  • Options
    aberboyaberboy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks great but wrong time slot.

I think the 'wrong time slot' is due to the fact that the race is live from the west coast of the USA....
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another good race. I think ita building a following just need to keep ITV as a broadcastwr as well and not lose that exposure
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://twitter.com/f1broadcasting/status/584676593945161728

121k views for Formula E race last night on ITV4
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clewsy wrote: »
    Another good race. I think ita building a following just need to keep ITV as a broadcastwr as well and not lose that exposure

Unless BBC One want to show it at that time? Could be offered with the F1.
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that a decent viewing figure? I have no idea what it has been pulling / what it should be pulling?

ITV4 is a good home for Motorsport. They do a good job, shame BT came along as I think ITV were basically creating a FTA version of Eurosport.
  • Options
    ClusterbombedClusterbombed Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    I've enjoyed the series, although I've only managed to catch two of the races on ITV4 - the rest I've watched on YouTube.

Incidentally, the viewing figures on YouTube aren't that high either, tens of thousands for each race. The highest I've seen were highlights of the Beijing race with around 130,000.

I do hope it succeeds though, it offers something different for those of us who find F1 a bore these days.