Have you ever cried at a TV show before?

Comments

• LilylilacLilylilac Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried asking this before but nobody was interested in my thread.

Do you find yourself 'going' more the older you get?
    Any chaps on here who 'go' at TV programs.

Another film, Dreams of a Life.
    Where this chap is talking about his dead ex girlfriend, he still 'talks' to her.
    He then almost yelps 'I love her' bursts into floods of tears and puts his head in his hands.
    I audibly 'went' at the Cinema and I'm tearing up now thinking about it.

When I was a teenager I used to laugh at my mum when she got all teary over TV shows, now my kids do the same to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a few here mentioned that I also had a good cry to (Nanna in the Royle Family passing, Denise and her father on her wedding day, it had some very special moments in that show).

The two moments I remember the most though are from the cartoon Futurama. The first when Fry discovers his old dog, fossilized. After going through the whole episode trying to get his dog back, he decided to give up saying "I'll never forget him, but he forgot me a long time ago". Led to this beautiful ending https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1WYg1cMlTs . Makes me cry even more since I've only just lost my own dog.

The second is of the same vein - Fry discovers his nephew's grave, the shot at the end with the music "Don't you forget about me", just set me off. I think it's more that a cartoon, of the same vein as The Simpson, can have some genuinely beautiful, emotional moment.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cry at the drop of a hat. Worst ever was the final episode of Blackadder when all the fields turned to poppies and the music slowed right down. I was beside myself.
    clara28 wrote: »
    I may have had a little sniffle during the last episode of Morse when Lewis kissed Morse's forehead as he lay in the morgue and said 'Goodbye Sir'.

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Yep to both of those! I can cry at the drop of a hat though, I am bizarrely emotional when watching things but can read emotional stories, books etc without being in the slightest bit affected. Bit of visual stimulation and away I go though :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    last years excellent drama The syndicate, i wept like a baby in every episode !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried asking this before but nobody was interested in my thread.

Do you find yourself 'going' more the older you get?
    Any chaps on here who 'go' at TV programs.

That's a yes from me on both counts. It doesn't happen much but more so the older I get.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »
    Yes. Older and wiser I think, more understanding of life, its importance and fragility. When you're way back down the line in your twenties, (YMMV) you think you're invincible and therefore a life ending means nothing. That's why they make such good soldiers.

Definitely, I cried hardly ever at TV in my twenties. I would have thought it was ridiculous. Now it happens all the time.

I miss being young with that stupid energy. It hurts to have experience and understand how many layers of pain the world really has.
  • Penfolds_placePenfolds_place Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't often cry at tv shows but I might have got something in my eye when watching the Star Trek next gen episode the offspring :D. Data creates an android child called lal. Star fleet wants to take her away for her own good. It's a very sweet, sad episode.
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    raadsel wrote: »
    Definitely, I cried hardly ever at TV in my twenties. I would have thought it was ridiculous. Now it happens all the time.

I miss being young with that stupid energy. It hurts to have experience and understand how many layers of pain the world really has.

True and it's certainly part of why I'm more easily moved to tears now. I was a bit insensitive when I was young and didn't have much empathy. (Also I was busy getting on with my life and didn't reflect on matters much).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Supernatural episode 1 of season 2 had me fighting my tears. It hit home so much.
  • spindiddlyspindiddly Posts: 4,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madmissi12 wrote: »
    Same, that's the one I meant in my post, although I said Da Vinci by mistake :o I was in bits watching that episode :cry:

The last 5 mins of the episode are so powerful. With the Embrace song and VVG listening on as the museum tour guide describes him as the greatest painter and the greatest man.

And when Amy & Doctor return to the museum to discover that he still killed himself. Oh my days. :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Just about every story on Long lost Family set me off, especially seeing mothers being reunited with children they were forced to give up for adoption decades before. So emotional!
  • julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBBUK_fan wrote: »
    Supernatural episode 1 of season 2 had me fighting my tears. It hit home so much.

Me too especially when Bobby was dying and Dean was telling him he didn't want him to leave.
    I was in tears watching him.

Also remember years ago in Rescue Me Denis O'Leary's character had to rescue a young kid from a burning building and when he arrived he discovered she had broken her neck and he couldn't move her. I couldn't watch the rest for the tears in my eyes.

Some of the cases in Cold Case had me in tears too especially when you saw the victim in question start to fade
  • ApplebeeApplebee Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I cry....I was filling up last night at the Penguins.....when the poor mother penguin found her frozen baby, nudged it to see if it was alive, then tried to cuddle it in her pouch & when the other penguin tried to comfort her....oh eck....:cry:
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Applebee wrote: »
    Yes I cry....I was filling up last night at the Penguins.....when the poor mother penguin found her frozen baby, nudged it to see if it was alive, then tried to cuddle it in her pouch & when the other penguin tried to comfort her....oh eck....:cry:

Yes, those bloody penquins. Heart-breaking stuff. I know 'it's nature' but good god it was sad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Applebee wrote: »

That made me well up too :cry:

I don't usually cry at TV shows, although I sobbed my heart out through the last episode of Green Wing. All I could keep thinking was "Mac's dying! Macs dying!", and even though it was really funny I was slightly too emotional to properly laugh.

I also found myself crying at Don't Tell the Bride. The dress the groom had designed/had made for his bride-to-be was absolutely gorgeous and she was really pleased with it - I'd had a really crappy day at work, and something about it set me off. I think it was at the moment my boyfriend crowned me "a proper girl" :rolleyes:
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I definately cry more easily at TV now I am older. I remember a time I found Holby City hard to watch and always had a tear in my eye. Dreams of a Life - watched on a plane, wow that stayed in my head. Think its one of my greatest fears to become isolated and reclusive like that, but so easy in in a city like London. When Danielle died in Eastenders - I actually had to leave the room :o such a tragic character. Last time i shed a tear at TV was last week watching My Fat Mad Diary!

I remember the first time I cried watching TV was at the end of a detective prog called North and South when the baddie locked a Pereguine Falcon in a building and it was fighting to get out and it couldn't, for some reason that tore me up!

and when Humphry the giraffe from Wild at Heart died in real life.
  • ApplebeeApplebee Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PippathePenguin my condolences for your penguin loss :o:cry:
  • LondonKiwiLondonKiwi Posts: 2,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M*A*S*H - Henry Blake - nuff said.
  • GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep. Anything in which an animal is hurt or dies (either for real or fictionally). Babylon 5's Sleeping in Light, Believers, and Confessions and Lamentations make me well up every time I see them. I always feel sad when I watch B5 now as I know Michael O'Hare, Andreas Katsulas, Richard Biggs, and Jeff Conaway are no longer with us. It has been a show I have loved since I was 12 and they kind of felt like an extended family. Richard Biggs in particular really got me as he was such a lovely person in real life.

I also got rather emotional when the following characters died. Goldie (Water Rats), Janet Fraser (Stargate SG:1), Pegasus (Heartland), Carson Beckett (Stargate: Atlantis), and Catherine (the original Beauty and the Beast series).

However, fictional shows aren't real, so I don't get upset when I think about characters dying. When I reflect on the likes of Steve Irwin's memorial service (plus his dog Sui's death), Captain Phil's passing on Deadliest Catch, and the death of Cesar Millan's wonderful Pit Bull Daddy, I will often feel quite teary eyed.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Growing up I cried at old Lassie movies and Shirley Temple movies :o

Oh, and practically every episode of Little House on the Prarie but especially the ones involving Laura's dog Jack dying and the one where she tried to make a pact with God to take her instead of her baby brother who had died so that her "Pa" wouldn't be so sad anymore........

Lately I cried at Revenge when Sammy the dog died (there is a theme here!) and at the last episode of Cheers on ITV4 when Diane leaves Sam forever.

Guess I am just a big sap :o:D
  • enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sam's death in Waterloo Road.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    Last episode of "Derek". I only saw this one episode of the series.

Derek's long last father turns up at the care home and Derek doesn't want to see him.

"He left because he was an alcoholic, and he was hitting us.
    But that was mean as I could still have played with him when he wasn't hitting me"
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,135
    Forum Member
    One episode of 'The Dumping Ground'.
  • fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First time I remember crying at tv was all creatures great and small in the 70's:rolleyes:Last time was last week at Broadchurch, I wept like a baby:cry:
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cried when Chesney had to have Schmeichel put down. I cry quite a lot at tv programmes but that one sticks in my mind as the rest of my family were laughing at me.:o