Options

Retired Dad trying to lower his Virgin bill...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
Forum Member
My Dad retired a few months ago and he's been hoping to call Virgin to see if they can give him some sort of a discount as he's struggling to afford things as they are. I enquired about this on DS a while ago and I was told that he should just be honest rather than threaten to leave etc.

He finally got round to calling them today and explained that he doesn't necessarily want to leave because he's happy with the service, but is struggling to afford the package he currently has. Virgin offered to cancel Sky Movies and give him Netflix free for 6 months, which we already have. However, cancelling Sky Movies would only save him £7, and after the free six month period is over on Netflix, he'd be back paying £6, essentially only saving him £1 of his bill.

I've read threads on here in the past about people ringing Virgin on similar grounds and getting a considerable discount. Does anybody know what the most effective way is to persuade Virgin to help a retired man afford his cable bills?

Comments

• Options
    jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he is retired and cant afford it then cut of the gas so he sits in the cold. That way the main priority which is cable TV is paid for each month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very helpful, thank you...
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have a chat with retentions tell them how much a month he can afford and they will work with him to get a package for him for around that price.
    i get M+ TV , phone M, BB30MB for £36.99p/m as i myself had to cut my package down and i was just honest with them, explained i'd just lost my job told them i could only afford £40p/m tops and asked what they could do for me.

150 - option 4 - option 5.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'll tell him to try that gother, cheers. :)
  • Options
    Pete GrainPete Grain Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't get why anyone subscribes to movies to begin with. Most people have a select criteria of 'film types' they enjoy, so that automatically cuts out a large/majority percentile of the films available (and incessantly repeated to fill their schedule), which you are paying to 'not watch.'

As for Netflix, that's ostensibly a poor man's lovefilm (not cost wise) if really into films imho.

Add to which the actual (scarce) number of films I, and most I speak to, really care about seeing are those they'd like to keep for good...are now so cheap to buy on both bluray & DVD, as to make it the only sensible cost effective way of both viewing and owning the flicks you really care about. I give it at least 6 months after any release, and the prices will have close to halved. Blockbusters like The Hobbit for less than 9 quid on BR from Amazon direct ;-)

I appreciate - we ain't automatons, and one size doesn't fit all. Just my personal take on it is all - no more.

Best of Luck to Dad...when/if out of contract would be the optimum time to start haggling for across the board discounts and offers...but you know that anyways..lol.
  • Options
    seanfitzyseanfitzy Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How will he only save £7 a month? cancelling sky movies,is £19.50 a month,are you sure he is not paying £19.50 for movies plus the £7 to have it in HD as well? meaning if he cancels the hd part he will save £7 but if he cancels sky movies and hd he will save £26.50 a month
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    bassebuwa wrote: »
    He finally got round to calling them today and explained that he doesn't necessarily want to leave because he's happy with the service, but is struggling to afford the package he currently has. Virgin offered to cancel Sky Movies and give him Netflix free for 6 months, which we already have. However, cancelling Sky Movies would only save him £7, and after the free six month period is over on Netflix, he'd be back paying £6, essentially only saving him £1 of his bill.

Be careful that he has not just been automatically signed up for another 12-18 month contract.

You need to sit down with him and go through his services and find out what channels he watches to ensure that you not paying for a package you not using. Also if you can spare the money it's possible to pay for 12 months line rental up front for under £130.00
  • Options
    Pete GrainPete Grain Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gds1972 wrote: »
    Be careful that he has not just been automatically signed up for another 12-18 month contract.

You need to sit down with him and go through his services and find out what channels he watches to ensure that you not paying for a package you not using. Also if you can spare the money it's possible to pay for 12 months line rental up front for under £130.00

Excellent advice.

Took up my second line saver deal last month. £120 I think it was - bit slap-dash on memory, but the gumph told me it would again save me circa 60 quid.

For those with tight budgets - me included - you have to manage the pennies in advance so as to stump up the one off fee, but so worth it.

You also said interestingly

Can they actually do that without notifying the customer first - if only in writing..? Not disputing your comment, just genuinely didn't think auto-contracts would be permitted, or hold water if the customer was unaware and decided to leave x- days/weeks/months after their original/last contract expired..?
  • Options
    MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with some of the comments on here about reducing bills to either Virgin or Sky. I was paying £65 about 18 months ago to Sky, went back to Virgin on offer for £40 for M+TV Phone and 30mb Broadband. I am now on XL pack, Phone and 60mb for Broadband for only a tenner a month more. From next May 10 I will drop back to M+ TV and 30mb because quite frankly I do not need a lot of channels since I rent 4/6 DVDs a month from Lovefilm as well as online streaming, and I also buy DVDs cheap enough from CEX Exchange shops and Amazon. With streaming now taking off, both Virgin and Sky may eventually struggle to keep customers if they keep jacking up their prices.