Philip Seymour Hoffman dies at 46

Comments

• tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Genuinely one of my favourite actors, a true talent. Tragic for his family to lose someone in this manner.
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never heard of him, but RIP, so young to die!
  • ScottishPancakeScottishPancake Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fully agree with this and his regrettable (self inflicted) passing is way too premature.

Only the good die young.... :cry:
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    A great American actor, a very sad loss.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    Was sad to hear about this today. Never seen Capote, I am a week into a month's free trial with Netflix so may watch it later.

I thouroghly recommend it... although it might disappear of Netflix soon as the film company may reckon they might get more sales on DVD now there is renewed interest. Happiness is another one worth checking out
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    I have yet to see it. Was worried I might not like it as Truman Capote is one of my all time favourite authors.

Same here. I saw In Cold Blood when I was nine, and read the book years later. RIP.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »
    I thouroghly recommend it... although it might disappear of Netflix soon as the film company may reckon they might get more sales on DVD now there is renewed interest. Happiness is another one worth checking out

Happiness is a great but truly uncomfortable film, I also recommend it.

Such a sad loss, Philip Seymour Hoffman was an underrated great. I did get a shock when I heard the news, just so unexpected.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strangely enough I'm unable to add it to my list..you may be onto something there.
    NoseyLouie wrote: »
    Happiness is a great but truly uncomfortable film, I also recommend it.
    Uncomfortable how?
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    Strangely enough I'm unable to add it to my list..you may be onto something there.

I've still got it appearing on my search results. Its only on UK netflix, not on the US so if you're using that system then you're out of luck.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    Thrown his life away. What a waste.

Total waste. Didn't care enough about his kids either or he would have kicked the habit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    He was clean for 23 years. He checked into rehab in 2012 because he was afraid of relapsing. Addiction is something that is always with you, always there. How dumb of someone to say that he didn't care about his kids. Nothing is ever that simple.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Total waste. Didn't care enough about his kids either or he would have kicked the habit.

Jeremy?
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member

Spoken like someone who truly has absolutely no idea about what addiction is at all. Well done.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very very tragic and terrible loss. A remarkable actor.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unexpected and sad. especially as he was not exactly mr handsome and made his living by being very skillful in certain niche roles. not the usual hollywood success route.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If it was only so simple.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I've heard the name, but don't recognise him at all from the photographs.

Still, that's no age to die. Quite a few celebrities have died young in recent times and often for the same reasons. It's very worrying.

RIP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've still got it appearing on my search results. Its only on UK netflix, not on the US so if you're using that system then you're out of luck.
    Oh don't get me started on that..I can't get Netflix on my smart TV but it works fine on my HTC one. Off to watch it now:)
  • ScottishPancakeScottishPancake Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was clean for 23 years. He checked into rehab in 2012 because he was afraid of relapsing. Addiction is something that is always with you, always there. How dumb of someone to say that he didn't care about his kids. Nothing is ever that simple.

I feel so sad for him that his fear came true. :cry:
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was a good actor, I really enjoyed his films. All those years free of drugs and this happens? Awful.
  • Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nowt to do with Hoffman's excellent portrayal [ or maybe it is ] but I found Capote an odious narcissistic little carpetbagger , whose homosexual infatuation with the callous killer Perry blinded him to the utter evil that men can do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    Never heard of him, but RIP, so young to die!

Neither have I. I'm not a film buff.

Drug overdose, what a sad end.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    I've heard the name, but don't recognise him at all from the photographs.

Still, that's no age to die. Quite a few celebrities have died young in recent times and often for the same reasons. It's very worrying.

RIP.

Look him up on imdb, I'd be surprised if you hadn't seen him in something. Of the top of my head, the films I remember him in are:
    Doubt
    Catching Fire
    Capote
    The Talented Mr Ripley
    When A Man Loves A Woman
    Twister
    Patch Adams
    Boogie Nights
    The Big Lebowski
    The Ides of March
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    Never heard of him

You'd have thought that someone with nearly 40,000 posts to their name would be aware of how ignorant posting 'never heard of him' on an RIP thread was...
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    echad wrote: »
    Look him up on imdb, I'd be surprised if you hadn't seen him in something. Of the top of my head, the films I remember him in are:
    Doubt
    Catching Fire
    Capote
    The Talented Mr Ripley
    When A Man Loves A Woman
    Twister
    Patch Adams
    Boogie Nights
    The Big Lebowski
    The Ides of March

He was the best actor in The Talented Mr Ripley - stole the show as Freddy.

I'm genuinely saddened at this. He was a truly great actor who could portray menace, warmth and humanity. His leading performance in Synecdoche was outstanding.