Cheryl's return to X Factor a done deal?

BluestoneBluestone Posts: 2,253
Forum Member
✭✭✭

So with the tidbits we are being fed by Simon Cowell and the Press it looks like we are being prepped for a Cheryl Cole return.

Who actually wants this?
Do you think she will save the show?
Is she really such a good judge?
Does this mean Nicole wont return and if it doesn't would ity work with both of them?

For me I didn't rate her as a judge in terms of her ability to give constructive criticisms and for the most part I think she lacked (or at least did not show) much personality. I think she's quite guarded.

How do you feel about a Cheryl Cole return? 100 votes

Yes!! Would Love her to come back
51% 51 votes
Please NO
37% 37 votes
Dont care
12% 12 votes

Comments

• SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see the exact opposite happening, millions more (me included) will switch off the minute her face is shown on the first audition show.
  • 2la2la Posts: 4,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope not. Unless she gets a charisma transplant.
  • RabidWolverine1RabidWolverine1 Posts: 8,137
    Forum Member
    For me this is the problem. The "Judges" shouldn't be that much of an issue. It should be the contestants taking part. :(

Watch The Voice US, the amount of emphasis put on the contestants over the coaches once the introductions are done is EXACTLY what it should be. No stupid mini stories on whether the coaches have personal problems or not. Even the Coaches praise acts for doing things they are not able to do but wish they could do...It's not that hard to focus on contestants.

At the end of the day I don't care about Simon Cowell, Louis Walsh, Cheryl Cole or whoever because THESE are not the reasons I watch talent shows, its because I want to see talent. With the way X Factor is set up the coaches could be Chico, Katie Price, Katie Hopkins & Jeremy Clarkson and its still not the thing I focus on.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These polls always surprise me, the results are never the landslide I expect them to be. I expected a massive difference, with most people not wanting her back.

Though I don't know why it surprises me, I have noticed this in a number of Cheryl related polls, she seems to have a fair amount of fans on here who just don't post about her, reading this forum makes it seem like she is universally disliked.

Having said that, this is just a small amount of people, maybe the more people vote the wider the gap will be.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should she? She's irrelevant in 2014 please folks the 00s are over & TXF isn't going back to 09 please move on with the times
  • jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon would do anything to throw the leg over her....she will be back with Cowell licking his lips at the thought of doing a Danni on her.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    She should do Strictly instead.
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluestone wrote: »

So with the tidbits we are being fed by Simon Cowell and the Press it looks like we are being prepped for a Cheryl Cole return.

Who actually wants this?
    Do you think she will save the show?
    Is she really such a good judge?
    Does this mean Nicole wont return and if it doesn't would ity work with both of them?

For me I didn't rate her as a judge in terms of her ability to give constructive criticisms and for the most part I think she lacked (or at least did not show) much personality. I think she's quite guarded.

I'm not sure it is a done deal to be honest. It wouldn't surprise me if she backed out at the last minute.

In answer to your questions: Whilst I think she's overrated as a judge, I can understand why people like her as a 'star' and why she was so popular when she first joined. She's been through the process herself and in her first year came across as very likeable.

For me though, the longer she was the on the show the more it became like we were just watching a vehicle for her to promote herself... including some overly-soppy moments with contestants which seemed calculated just to make us like her; unfortunately I think this is very much how she comes across now-a-days in the public eye (I was a GA fan and don't remember her being like this before). Based on this, I think we'll end up watching The Cheryl Cole show part II if she does come back, as the press are already ridiculously building this up as the Simon & Cheryl show and it's only February!

I agree with one of the posters above who thinks less focus should be on the judges. With the press reporting (true or not?) that she'll be encouraged to insult Cowell publicly on the show to get her own back, the reality will probably just be a cringe-fest of calculated and naff scripted moments delivered in a wooden fashion by both :p whilst the press wet themselves on a daily basis at their great 'chemistry' zzzzz

But apart from that, I'm looking forward to this series :p:p

Louis Walsh to be the winning mentor!!! ;-)
    And Dannii Minogue to feature at judges houses (as it seems unlikely she'll return).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    These polls always surprise me, the results are never the landslide I expect them to be. I expected a massive difference, with most people not wanting her back.

Though I don't know why it surprises me, I have noticed this in a number of Cheryl related polls, she seems to have a fair amount of fans on here who just don't post about her, reading this forum makes it seem like she is universally disliked.

Having said that, this is just a small amount of people, maybe the more people vote the wider the gap will be.

I never expected to come back on and see the majority voting that they want her back, proves what I said she is more popular than it looks on DS.

Most comments on this site seem to be very negative for Cheryl, but she always proves popular on polls, very strange.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PJ1893 wrote: »
    I'm not sure it is a done deal to be honest. It wouldn't surprise me if she backed out at the last minute.

In answer to your questions: Whilst I think she's overrated as a judge, I can understand why people like her as a 'star' and why she was so popular when she first joined. She's been through the process herself and in her first year came across as very likeable.

For me though, the longer she was the on the show the more it became like we were just watching a vehicle for her to promote herself... including some overly-soppy moments with contestants which seemed calculated just to make us like her; unfortunately I think this is very much how she comes across now-a-days in the public eye (I was a GA fan and don't remember her being like this before). Based on this, I think we'll end up watching The Cheryl Cole show part II if she does come back, as the press are already ridiculously building this up as the Simon & Cheryl show and it's only February!

I agree with one of the posters above who thinks less focus should be on the judges. With the press reporting (true or not?) that she'll be encouraged to insult Cowell publicly on the show to get her own back, the reality will probably just be a cringe-fest of calculated and naff scripted moments delivered in a wooden fashion by both :p whilst the press wet themselves on a daily basis at their great 'chemistry' zzzzz

But apart from that, I'm looking forward to this series :p:p

Louis Walsh to be the winning mentor!!! ;-)
    And Dannii Minogue to feature at judges houses (as it seems unlikely she'll return).

I'm hoping if she does come back her relationship with Simon will be different, after all they did have a massive falling out, so hopefully they won't be so chummy.

There's a chance we'll see a different Cheryl in general if she does come back, hopefully back to how she was in her first year. She might have been humbled by the massive failure and embarrassment of the X Factor USA debacle. Add to that she seems to be happier than she has been in a long time, according to interviews, twitter and instagram. One of the main criticisms she received she wasn't invested in her final year, which is fair, she admitted that in is an interview last year, but its hardly surprising when she was going through a divorce at the time and had just recovered from Malaria, so its no wonder her priorities shifted away from the show.

I really do hope if she comes back, she won't be like she was in her third year.
  • Cyril_SneerCyril_Sneer Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They wouldnt even be talking about her unless she was signed and sealed already ;-)
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a chance we'll see a different Cheryl in general if she does come back, hopefully back to how she was in her first year. She might have been humbled by the massive failure and embarrassment of the X Factor USA debacle.

I hope you're right as I'm a fan of the show, but if anything I can imagine she'll be smug at the fact she's treated like the 'saviour' of the show (personally, I think she comes across as cocky during interviews/online but I guess that's subjective) - and the same goes with Cowell. I'm a fan of his, but I didn't think he was a good judge on BGT last year - the one good thing was that the BGT judging panel around him were good fun to watch.

These days I think he's lost touch with what made him so popular in the beginning.
  • PinkminxyPinkminxy Posts: 3,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope not! Can't stand her and that would be the end of the X Factor for me.

I've never understood why she was a judge in the first place? She can't sing at all, offers crap feed back, and offers nothing to the world of entertainment at all. So why does her opinion count?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't want her back.

I like Cheryl, she's lovely but she hasn't got the most entertaining personality and the way her and Simon were so touchy feely before just puts me off and would ruin his return.

Also she is irrelevant in music now. Her career is over and it's not like she's a legend so I don't see why she should be a judge.
  • conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They wouldnt even be talking about her unless she was signed and sealed already ;-)

Agree !!! The seed planting now taking place would only be coming out as part of a PR launch if she had already signed.
  • 2la2la Posts: 4,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe she has more people wishing her back. Seems a bit sus ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boofie wrote: »
    I don't want her back.

I like Cheryl, she's lovely but she hasn't got the most entertaining personality and the way her and Simon were so touchy feely before just puts me off and would ruin his return.

Also she is irrelevant in music now. Her career is over and it's not like she's a legend so I don't see why she should be a judge.

How exactly is she irrelevant in music?

Her third album sold a hell of a lot less than her previous two, but the album market is shocking at the minute, but even so it did underperform.

But she still had a huge hit with Call My Name, the second single sold over 200,000 and she had her own solo arena tour in 2012, she reunited with Girls Aloud in 2013 for a greatest hits and another arena tour and is now in the process of recording her fourth album. She may not be as in your face as she was or as big as she was, but she certainly isn't irrelevant just yet.
  • Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping if she does come back her relationship with Simon will be different, after all they did have a massive falling out, so hopefully they won't be so chummy.

There's a chance we'll see a different Cheryl in general if she does come back, hopefully back to how she was in her first year. She might have been humbled by the massive failure and embarrassment of the X Factor USA debacle. Add to that she seems to be happier than she has been in a long time, according to interviews, twitter and instagram. One of the main criticisms she received she wasn't invested in her final year, which is fair, she admitted that in is an interview last year, but its hardly surprising when she was going through a divorce at the time and had just recovered from Malaria, so its no wonder her priorities shifted away from the show.

I really do hope if she comes back, she won't be like she was in her third year.

BIB - I agree. It's rather a shame that she only seems to be remembered for her disastrous third year, her first two years were pretty successful.

A lot of people on here say Dannii was the best judge, but she didn't really connect with the public until her last two years as judge, before that, she wasn't popular at all.

I'll always blame Cowell for the way things turned out, I always believe he used Cheryl to 'get back' at Dannii, freezing her out and generally ignoring her. I also think he didn't like the fact that the two girls 'got on', they may not have been best friends, but there were never any arguments either, boring in Simon's world.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    Just because Simon is talking about her doesn't mean that Cheryl is coming back. He talks about her every year. She's good publicity. But I just read that Nicole is not returning. That could be a sign that Cheryl is. :)
  • Cpat91Cpat91 Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    She posted a throwback Thursday picture of her and Simon on the XF in 2010 on Instagram earlier, this could be a hint of a return
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather Dannii came back to the show to be honest.
    She was a much better mentor/judge IMO. She seemed to work the hardest out of all the judges with the contestants.
  • HelenW82HelenW82 Posts: 178
    Forum Member

I agree.

I'm a Cheryl fan and would love to see her back.

I'm also a fan of Nicole and think it's a shame that we can't have both of them on the panel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheryl isn't the big star she was back in 2008/2009, though.

In 2008 Girls Aloud were really popular and the whole "celebrity judge" thing was just starting (Dannii was less well known than Cheryl when she started). When Cheryl joined it was a massive media frenzy and she was front page news and paparazzi and the public were going mental for her. She then had the split from Ashley, the massive #1 single, the #1 album, winning the show two years in a row and then in 2010 she had malaria and got another #1 single. She was the biggest celebrity in the UK.

Three years later she's nowhere to be seen. She's barely in the papers, nobody is talking about her, there's no buzz and she's not been on TV in ages. If she returns it'll be wayyyy less explosive than when she debuted on the show.
  • gemhudgemhud Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    Cheryl isn't the big star she was back in 2008/2009, though.

In 2008 Girls Aloud were really popular and the whole "celebrity judge" thing was just starting (Dannii was less well known than Cheryl when she started). When Cheryl joined it was a massive media frenzy and she was front page news and paparazzi and the public were going mental for her. She then had the split from Ashley, the massive #1 single, the #1 album, winning the show two years in a row and then in 2010 she had malaria and got another #1 single. She was the biggest celebrity in the UK.

Three years later she's nowhere to be seen. She's barely in the papers, nobody is talking about her, there's no buzz and she's not been on TV in ages. If she returns it'll be wayyyy less explosive than when she debuted on the show.
    she's the only one that causes any buzz in the media that's why simon is always talking about her coming back every year since she left. Not saying she's coming back however.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simon's obsessed with Cheryl. He'll flirt, the papers will go mental that a new dad is flirting with Cheryl. = equals column inches.

Cheryl can show how aggrieved she was at getting sacked from USXF, quiver her lip and will get the best act so she can be winning judge again. She'll flog an album with one killer single that she'll mime badly on the show.

Louis will clap a lot, point his pen and say "You deserve to be in the final". probably from week one.

Dannii is the one they should get back. She was more popular with everyone apart from Cowell, who was too brownnosing Tweedy to notice she was the shows biggest asset on the panel. If Simon got his act together, he'd realise a Minogue vs Minogue on the rival two talent show panels is more interesting than Tweedy.