BBC Glastonbury 2014 thread

Comments

• pauljoansspauljoanss Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is absolutely fantastic that the BBC give us so much coverage of Glasto although I admit to finding it a bit confusing, have PVR set up for everything but like to watch stuff as near to real time a possible.
    Glad we have non of the usual "waste of license papers money" stuff so far on this post.

Having been to Glasto several times (now feeling bit too old at 62), I enjoy watching the audience and feeling the atmosphere and how it changes at different times of the day, afternoons are totally different from the build up time to the headliners, then the "chill out" after the headliners, deciding what to do for the rest of the night while eating curry and chips. Even if you are not keen on some of the performers it is still uplifting to see so many people having a great time.

Getting very excited about Arcade Fire.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    LolaSvelt wrote: »
    :o I had no idea it was so expensive. I'd honestly just rather go and see a band individually. And it's even worse considering a lot of acts had to cut their sets short because of the weather.

Yeah, it's a shame that happened. It's even worse when you think about clashes where you want to see both acts but have to choose between them because they are on at the same time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pauljoanss wrote: »
    I think it is absolutely fantastic that the BBC give us so much coverage of Glasto ....

+1 :)
  • TR252TR252 Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    LolaSvelt wrote: »
    :o I had no idea it was so expensive. I'd honestly just rather go and see a band individually. And it's even worse considering a lot of acts had to cut their sets short because of the weather.

It's worth every single penny though! It looks like a lot of money written down but the experience in itself, never mind the music, is worth the ticket. The atmosphere is incredible and there is so so much to do on the site apart from see artists and bands. And if you think about it, maybe of the acts you would pay £40 or £50 to see individually anyway.

I need to get back there next year! Gutted I missed out this year.
  • SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pablo Nutella on one side and Tennis Elbow on another... thank Christ I never spanked £205 on this shite.
    Forum Member
    +1 :)

I agree it's quite good considering we didn't even buy a ticket to the event yet we can still see it with a better view than the people there.
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure I would fork out the money before knowing who was on, that's the only drawback for festivals for me
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God, Elbow are CRAP!
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    God, Elbow are CRAP!

Agree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God, Elbow are CRAP!

bear with it, they did a song at the end that people seemed to know :D
    Forum Member
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    bear with it, they did a song at the end that people seemed to know :D

That is there only hit and they always wait until the end to perform it yet I have a feeling Glastonbury think that Elbow could headline it. A 30 Minute set would of been enough I think an hour gets a bit tiring on the audience.

They were probably waiting for the last song the whole time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    Yeah, it seems to be narrowing itself down to a particular crowd. The sort that Radio1 increasingly appeal to. I would love to go to a big festival like that some time but it would have to be a really top line-up for me to stump up that sort of cash. The line-up this year only has about 5 acts at most that I would want to see and that's spread out over the whole weekend.

I know it is a cliche, but Glastonbury really is about finding and enjoying stuff you never knew existed.
    Every concert I go to seems to cost £60 or more, so if you see 5 of your favourite acts for about £40 each, plus 5 days camping in a beautiful setting, plus options to see a further few hundred performances ( some of which you will enjoy), then I do not see the value is so bad.
  • Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    BBC2 are showing Elbow. I've just endured them on BBC4. :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Elbow do seem a little slow on TV, but saw them at Glasto when they played just before Coldplay a couple of yes ago and live it was a really lovely experience, great chilled atmosphere, the whole crowd seemed to be listening to every word.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    FMKK wrote: »
    Yeah, it seems to be narrowing itself down to a particular crowd. The sort that Radio1 increasingly appeal to. I would love to go to a big festival like that some time but it would have to be a really top line-up for me to stump up that sort of cash. The line-up this year only has about 5 acts at most that I would want to see and that's spread out over the whole weekend.

No offence but I see this every year and I have to laugh. Five acts out of, what 200 odd :confused:
    How can you say that this line up is narrowing down to a certain crowd.
  • TheWireRulesTheWireRules Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get M.I.A on you license fee wasters!

EDIT:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/errnc8/live/crzj3d

on shortly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arcade Fire are not my thing either I have just discoverd
  • jack_kerouacjack_kerouac Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elbow are pretty shit, aren't they...

were best surprise when first one mercury award or something....

but now they are just an extension of David C ameron Boris Johnston, Seb Coe and the ruddy 2012 Olympics pyramid sellling conference type blanket repitition ......in my head.

Therefore Elbow = Tory anthem merchants.

But thats just me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get M.I.A on you license fee wasters!

I'm still waiting for her to come on stage!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    Apparently Metalica are only doing a commercial pop type set rather than there heavier stuff.

I dont listen to Metallica much ...but when i do ....Nothing Else Matters. :D:D:D
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching as I usually do on the Red Button.

Do you know what I miss? The Now and Next tab. It really helped plan my viewing.

Anyway onto this year's stuff so far:

Rodrigo Y Gabriella were good.

Rudimetal okay.

Tuneyards - good if a bit garish.

Churches - okay - the singer is pretty - if I am allowed to think that.
  • TheWireRulesTheWireRules Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arh she's on the red button cool

EDIT - I would give it a miss if you're epileptic :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pauljoanss wrote: »
    Yes, Elbow do seem a little slow on TV, but saw them at Glasto when they played just before Coldplay a couple of yes ago and live it was a really lovely experience, great chilled atmosphere, the whole crowd seemed to be listening to every word.

Elbow then Coldplay ............swings from necktie ... :D:D:D
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who be this Interpol?, thoughts people?
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interpol really have changed their act.