The Raid 2

PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
Forum Member
✭✭✭
10/10. just been to a pre release screening of this. i've seen a lot of action films and this is something else, my palms were sweating by the time i came out.

i only kind of liked the first, this is in a different league though. i don't think i've winced as much in a film as i did in this. the choreography of the action is astounding, i can't believe no one was killed making it!

best bits - car chase, kitchen, hammer.

that's all you need to know.

Comments

• StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Bone crunching action from start to finish - for me, as good as the first.8/10

Warning...
    "Strong bloody violence, gore":cool:
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if this is in English or is it subtitled hubby struggles with subtitled action films
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this is in English or is it subtitled hubby struggles with subtitled action films
    Subtitles - and you have to be quick.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Subtitles - and you have to be quick.

Damn I'll have to wait and see if the do a dubbed version on DVD
  • intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Thankfully, dubbed versions of films are becoming a thing of the past - and good riddance! :)
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »

To be honest, I don't think it's really a dialogue-driven film...:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    intruder2k wrote: »
    Thankfully, dubbed versions of films are becoming a thing of the past - and good riddance! :)

You may think so but my OH is severely dyslexic and watching a subtitled film for him is almost impossible
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First one was mindless garbage, sounds like this is just more of the same! Best avoided :D
  • GortGort Posts: 7,460
    Forum Member
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    First one was mindless garbage, sounds like this is just more of the same! Best avoided :D

It's probably best watched with a game controller in your hands.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Tony Tiger wrote: »

Oh come on.

This, like the first one, is a kung fu (OK, technically Pencak Silat) flick. As such, the first one was bloody good and the sequel looks like more of the same.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Just watched The Raid 2 and it's even more mental than the first film!

9/10
  • Super BanditSuper Bandit Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    7/10

Great action, generic boring story which made the movie drag on way too long
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    My parents went to see it last night.....................they walked out after a hour as they said it was that bad! There was only 6 in the cinema apparently...............my parents and my uncle and his partner
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    Just watched The Raid 2 and it's even more mental than the first film!

9/10

BiB is more than enough reason for me to go and see it :)
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having now seen it it's pretty excellent, it may drag on a bit for some people and some might get a bit bored with the story but Jesus Wept, the fights are just astonishing brutal and savage, but in a realistic way. The car chase sequence is beautifully done, the kitchen fight is arguably one of the finest fights ever committed to film but the bit that really got me........the shotgun used on someone at the end, it's one of those moments you don't forget. Can't wait to watch it again, loved it.
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I don't think it's really a dialogue-driven film...:D

On the contrary, it's actually much more dialogue heavy than the first film. The plot, involving the main character going undercover and getting caught in the crossfire of two warring families, is reminiscent of The Departed. Just a lot more violent. The first third is quite slow paced and you need to pay attention to who's who, before the more action driven third act rolls around. Still, an excellent move, if not as balls-out non-stop mayhem as The Raid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did they manage to find a tripod to put the camera on and a cameraman and editor who didn't have the DTs?

The first one was ruined by fast shakey cutting - cuts every few seconds in fights so you couldn't actually see what was going on and wouldn't actually need anyone good at martial arts as they would only need to do one move at any one time.

When there was the odd 5seconds of steady shots of fighting (about two in the whole film) the fighting looked good.

It amazes me when directors 'hide' action in bad camerawork - fight scenes have narratives and mini-arcs when done well i.e. the Matrix lobby scene and the Equilibrium equivalent both of which had solid camerawork, you could see what was going on in the scene and at the end you could see where the characters had gone and why.

In the new Robocop movie where he is in a warehouse fighting exercise the camera was all over the place and therefore the narrative lost leaving you not really knowing what had gone on apart from some people being shot and Robocop getting up to the other end of the warehouse.

The new Captain America film was just as bad.
  • JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    Did they manage to find a tripod to put the camera on and a cameraman and editor who didn't have the DTs?

The first one was ruined by fast shakey cutting - cuts every few seconds in fights so you couldn't actually see what was going on and wouldn't actually need anyone good at martial arts as they would only need to do one move at any one time.

When there was the odd 5seconds of steady shots of fighting (about two in the whole film) the fighting looked good.

It amazes me when directors 'hide' action in bad camerawork - fight scenes have narratives and mini-arcs when done well i.e. the Matrix lobby scene and the Equilibrium equivalent both of which had solid camerawork, you could see what was going on in the scene and at the end you could see where the characters had gone and why.

In the new Robocop movie where he is in a warehouse fighting exercise the camera was all over the place and therefore the narrative lost leaving you not really knowing what had gone on apart from some people being shot and Robocop getting up to the other end of the warehouse.

Good post and I agree completely, shame Captain America 2 follows this lazy method, hopefully won't detract from the movie so much.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best action film of the year? Damn right! Excellent film! Better than The Raid. It's 2 and a half hours long but i don't understand the movie dragging on part. If you pay attention the time flies by and the story is better imo. There is more dialogue than TR1 but it adds to the movie.

OP is right - car chase, kitchen, hammer but add to that metal baseball bat, machete and shotgun and you have one of the best movies of the year. The hammer attack is one of the most mental/crazy/f*cked up things i've seen but brilliantly executed.

The martial arts choreography is just astounding. Well done Gareth Evans and bring on The Raid 3 (yes, there will another sequel to bring everything to a close).
  • SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it last Friday, absolutely brilliant film. I didn't think they would top the first but I honestly think they did with this one.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got back from watching this and oh yes, utterly insane film :)

A little bit overlong and, as someone said, the first third drags a bit but the fight scenes. The car chase. The hammers .. the .. everything :)

What made it even better was that i was actually in the cinema on my own so i was getting very jumpy in my seat and bobbing up and down along to the action .. if anyone popped in to the projection room and looked out, they'd have thought i was having a seizure :)
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched this on blu ray a few days ago.

It's not the fast paced, all out action movie that the first one was, but its still a damn fine film.

The story is indeed similar to The Departed, and there are shades of The Godfather as well. Therefore it is more dialogue based than the first movie, but when the action sequences come they are just as good, if not better than the first movie...and to anyone says it is boring there are NINETEEN fight sequences, and they get more intense and violent as the movie goes on.

The final fight in a kitchen is epic, and rivals and famous fight sequence in other martial arts movies.

The car chase is just insane...and all done pretty much for real with very little CGI...even the cameramen are practically doing stunt work to capture the action.

A fight involving hammers...a baseball bat (and ball) sequence...and even a return for the awesome Yayan Ruihan (Prakaso), the bearded fighter from the first movie.

Just don't expect the stripped down narrative of the first movie and you should thoroughly enjoy it.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just thought i'd mention the first The Raid movie has just started on Film4 right now.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bit of a mess for me and the pace really juddered with the differences between the action sequences and talky parts, made funnier by the dubbed version, liked the first one better
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alfster wrote: »

TOTALLY disagree about the camerawork in the first film - I thought the filmmakers wisely chose to keep the cameras far back enough to capture the fight scenes fully, so that you could fully appreciate the moves and choreography. And they did NOT use a lot of quick cutting and jump cuts to enhance these scenes - seriously, I think you must have watched a different movie to me. That was precisely what made the movie work for me, the fact that you could see the fight sequences in all of their glory with minimal camera trickery.

Oh, and your description of the scene in Robocop in the warehouse training scene? There were no 'people' being shot in that scene (apart from Jackie Earl Hailey's character), he was shooting multiple robots. And it was very obvious what was going on and I saw no confusion at all due to dodgy camerawork.

The Captain America movie I saw a few months back and cannot remember specifically regarding the camerawork, but I certainly do not have any memories of issues with the camerawork.

And finally...a tripod? Seriously, do you think it's 1935 or something? Please tell me how you would film frantic fight and action scenes with a stationery camera on a tripod?