The hanging of Rolf Harris

lone wolfs howllone wolfs howl Posts: 62
Forum Member
There are rumours of a docudrama being made about Rolf Harris that will see the theoretical execution of himself by hanging due to his recent conviction.

Will you be watching it?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    There are rumours of a docudrama being made about Rolf Harris that will see the theoretical execution of himself by hanging due to his recent conviction.

Will you be watching it?

Have they brought back hanging?
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    A grotesque idea. Not something that would interest me. Television is chewing gum for the mind.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would he be hanged, he hasn't killed anyone.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »

Even if he had, we don't have hanging in this country anymore, why would anyone want to make such a sickening programme? or watch it for that matter.

Rolf is being punished for his crimes by the British legal system, that is enough. When he comes out he will have paid his debt to society.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    ... Rolf is being punished for his crimes by the British legal system, that is enough ...

... and one reason that I don't intend to stop listening to his music.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No TV company would be stupid enough to produce a programme supporting a heinous and backward punishment which should rightly remain in the past where it belongs. A punishment which can never be reintroduced due to EU and Council Of Europe membership requirements and a UN protocol the UK is signed up to. Also potentially risking a massive backlash from Ofcom and put its broadcast licence at steak just to make a political point which it cannot do under impartiality rules. And all just after Rolf Harris is jailed.

Pure fantasy designed to make a point to reintroduce the death penalty which will never happen, either on TV or real life.
    Forum Member
    ... and one reason that I don't intend to stop listening to his music.

Indeed Rolf the entertainer is not Rolf the private man, one can still listen to his music if one wishes. I love 'sun arise' and if I want to listen to it, I will.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Will you be watching it?

No.

It's too ludicrous an idea for words. Even when hanging was still an option in this country, he wouldn't have been hung for those offences.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if the OP had the "The Execution of Gary Glitter" on their mind when starting the thread?
    The Execution of Gary Glitter is a ninety-minute mockumentary, produced by Juniper Communications Limited[1] and broadcast on Channel 4 in the UK, that follows the imaginary trial and execution by hanging of former glam rock singer-songwriter and convicted paedophile Gary Glitter for "offences against children"
    Forum Member
    I wonder if the OP had the "The Execution of Gary Glitter" on their mind when starting the thread?

My god, how horrendous is that? it was actually shown??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My god, how horrendous is that? it was actually shown??

I guess so ...
    The programme was written, produced, and directed by Rob Coldstream, and was broadcast on 9 November 2009
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No TV company would be stupid enough to produce a programme supporting a heinous and backward punishment which should rightly remain in the past where it belongs.

Just such an imaginary scenario was portrayed in a play about Gary Glitter in an alternate version of recent history, a few years ago. I wouldn't say they were supporting capital punishment, more giving you a 'what if' situation and letting you make up your own mind.
    Forum Member
    I guess so ...

I despair...........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No TV company would be stupid enough to produce a programme supporting a heinous and backward punishment which should rightly remain in the past where it belongs...

Apart from Channel 4, it would seem.
    The Execution of Gary Glitter is a ninety-minute mockumentary, produced by Juniper Communications Limited[1] and broadcast on Channel 4 in the UK
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Indeed Rolf the entertainer is not Rolf the private man, one can still listen to his music if one wishes. I love 'sun arise' and if I want to listen to it, I will.

Agreed, but Ive never been able to listen to a Gary Glitter song since, I fear my treasured vinyl copy of "Two little boys" will be confined to the attic forever
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    No.

It's too ludicrous an idea for words. Even when hanging was still an option in this country, he wouldn't have been hung for those offences.
    There are some (mostly far right people who'd I'd associate with more unpalatable patriotic parties and groups) who seem to want this idea of draconian vengeance against even petty criminals in the mistaken idea that reintroducing the death penalty (they won't care about putting EU, CoE or UN membership at steak, they're fiercely patriotic) will bring crime down to zero by exploiting cases like this and perceived lenient sentences to make their point. Its opportunism which exploits raw emotion to bring back something unpalatable.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves" - Confucius
  • LuckyyemLuckyyem Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I wouldn't, in my opinion its bad taste. He has been sentenced and his victims should now be left alone to try and rebuild their lives.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Will you be watching it?
    Is it a rumour that you're trying to start with this very thread? If not, I'm calling bollocks on this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from Channel 4, it would seem.
    And it got panned universally, which is why I state no channel would dare show such a programme now, particularly in the run-up to an election.

I take some of that back, maybe Channel 5 if Viacom haven't taken over programming control and Richard Desmond is calling the shots, he's got previous for opportunism to use his media outlets including the Express and Star to pursue political points.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Since when has reality gotten in the way of TV programmes?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That was my first thoughts.

I did watch the GG program and it was sick, uncomfortable but very good in that I almost felt sorry for the piece of shit by the end.
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Perhaps more realisticly we should be talking about un-hanging his paintings, I bet a few have been dropped already.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bungitin wrote: »
    Perhaps more realisticly we should be talking about un-hanging his paintings, I bet a few have been dropped already.
    The Queen one has probably long since been destroyed.
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Can you just see the meeting when they came up with the idea?
    "Next on the agenda....monkey tennis"
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bungitin wrote: »

If you were one of those who invested in his work I imagine you would be feeling sort of sick by now :(
    As for the entertainment bit, he was at his height of fame when I was a child, but despite his talent, I just couldn't take to him. My idea of hell would be to be forced to listen to 'Two little Boys' and 'Jake the Peg' over and over and over......:confused: