Am I being unreasonable re. wedding suit?

lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
Forum Member
✭✭✭
MY brother is getting married in a couple of months and about 6 weeks ago he tell me I am the best man.
It is a registry office do and then onto a restaurant where the guests (3 on our side about 25 of the brides) all pay for thier own meals. This has already caused some arguements but I can live with that.
When I was told about being the best man I didn't really want to do it as im not into speeches, standing in front of others etc. but he promised there would be none of that. They are not even having stag/hen dos. So thats me feeling a bit better about it.

When the subject of the suit came up the said it would be black trousers, white shirt, wasitcoat, cravat and the waist thing (cumberbund?).

I said OK I just bought a new pair of black trousers for work and I have a white shirt I have worn once. They said no, it all has to be new and they would take me to some expensive sounding shop in Leeds to get kitted out.

Today I get a phone call telling me next week they are coming to get the suit sorted out and to make sure I have enough money to pay for it all. THis was the first time they mentioned expecting me to pay for it. I don't have a wonderful job and have been off work for the last two months with a broken ankle. They know I don't have a penny to my name at the moment.

I bit my tongue on the phone beacuse I will be seeing them on friday anyway and will talk about it then.

I just wanted your advice asto who s right and the best way to deal with things.

T.I.A.

Comments

• horseychick28horseychick28 Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid if they wanted me to wear fancy clobber then they'd have to pay for it, if you have to pay for it then I'd be getting a suit you could wear again.

My SIL kindly paid for her own bridesmaid dress so she bought a prom dress (she could choose what she wanted) which she was able to wear again and we gave her the cost of the dress back in clothes vouchers as a pressie
  • sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    To be really honest, I think it's a bit cheeky to expect other people to pay for the occasion designed by you, be it a wedding, birthday or whatever.

If you feel strongly enough to lay down the requirements, then you ought to be paying for the whole shebang.

That said, this is your brother. You really need to speak privately and explain that you just can't afford this. See what he says. If the dress code is essential and if you can't afford it, you're at a bit of an impasse. What's his solution?
  • WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I can't afford it, so if I'm paying, I'm wearing a shirt and trousers. If you're paying, I'll wear whatever you want me to!"
  • PhoebicaPhoebica Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They shouldn't really have put you in that position in the first place - just expecting you to pay. But as they have then it's up to you to tell them you can't afford it. You don't need to be mean about it just say "I know it's your wedding day but i really can't afford to buy a whole new outfit." If they insist the best man wears that then they will either have to pay or get a new best man.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    The Groom pays for:
    Stag party.
    Bride's wedding ring.
    Hiring of his own, best man's and ushers' suits.
    Transport for best man and himself to ceremony venue.
    Civil or church ceremony fees.
    Presents for the bride, bridesmaids, pages, ushers and best man.
    His going-away outfit.
    Transport away from reception venue for himself and his new wife.
    Wedding night venue.
    Honeymoon.
    Press announcement for wedding.

The best man does not usually pay for anything although he will pay for the marriage ceremony on the day with money given to him by the groom.

The above relates to traditional etiquette but, even though it is to be a Register Office wedding, your brother should still pay for your suit and the rest of your attire, whether it be purchased or hired.
  • lucky74lucky74 Posts: 4,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Castanet wrote: »
    The Groom pays for:

....making such a mistake for the rest of his life. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    WokStation wrote: »
    "I can't afford it, so if I'm paying, I'm wearing a shirt and trousers. If you're paying, I'll wear whatever you want me to!"

I agree
  • slapmattslapmatt Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paying for your own wedding meal?

It's grim up North.
  • lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. I will have to wait to get him on his own to get a chance of putting my side across although I know the 1st words out of his mouth will be "babyyyyy, come her and listen to this" and then I have no chance!

I swear he is getting a thumb shaped bald patch on the top of his head.
  • minty82minty82 Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the other's. It's for his wedding, so he should fork out for the expensive clothes he wants you to wear.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is he expecting you to buy a whole new outfit, or hire a suit? I may be out of date but I don't remember hiring a suit to be an awful lot of money. However you need to explain that you just cannot afford it, and that if the suit is the priority you need to be relegated to guest status :)

Good luck!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    slapmatt wrote: »

It's grim up North.

I know, don't think i'd bother attending, i would rather go out for dinner with my friends...:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    minty82 wrote: »
    I know, don't think i'd bother attending, i would rather go out for dinner with my friends...:D

You'd rather go out for dinner with your friends than pay for a meal at your own brothers wedding? Sounds rather harsh to me!

My friend had her twins christened and asked each guest to contribute to the meal as they just couldn't afford to pay for everyone. IMO real friends wouldn't begrude this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slapmatt wrote: »

It's grim up North.

That I don't mind as much. The thing thats causing arguements between our mum and his missus is that on our side there are only me, my mum and my auntie going. (thats all there is to our family now) My mum wanted to invite her best friends (only 2 of them) but got turned down flat. With the excuse its only close family. I kept out of it but I find it really hard to believe that her 25 guests are all "close family". But then its her day and she can invite who she wants to.......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrsh1807 wrote: »
    Is he expecting you to buy a whole new outfit, or hire a suit? I may be out of date but I don't remember hiring a suit to be an awful lot of money. However you need to explain that you just cannot afford it, and that if the suit is the priority you need to be relegated to guest status :)

Good luck!

To be honest hiring never came up, but I dont think they would go for it beacuse the reason they gave for buying new was that all the men would look the same in the photos. I think her brothers are getting the same suits from this store as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd rather go out for dinner with your friends than pay for a meal at your own brothers wedding? Sounds rather harsh to me!

My friend had her twins christened and asked each guest to contribute to the meal as they just couldn't afford to pay for everyone. IMO real friends wouldn't begrude this.

Well I know for a fact that my brother wouldn't make wedding guests do that, so it really wouldn't be an issue. Friends are different to family, so the example you have cited is not really comparable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Castanet The Groom pays for:
    Stag party.

Doesnt the best man pay and organise this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I know for a fact that my brother wouldn't make wedding guests do that, so it really wouldn't be an issue. Friends are different to family, so the example you have cited is not really comparable.

OP is talking about his brother's wedding, not a friend's. You said if it were you you'd rather go out with friends.

Personally, whether sibling or good friend, if I wanted to attend to celebrate their marriage having to pay for a meal would not be an issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest hiring never came up, but I dont think they would go for it beacuse the reason they gave for buying new was that all the men would look the same in the photos. I think her brothers are getting the same suits from this store as well.

For my wedding my husband/dad/best man all hired identical suits from Debenhams, so the argument that they have to be purchased to be the same is nonsense.

Just stick to your guns, and try not to feel too guilty. Don't be bullied into spending money you haven't got on a suit you'll not wear again.

Good luck :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP is talking about his brother's wedding, not a friend's. You said if it were you you'd rather go out with friends.

Personally, whether sibling or good friend, if I wanted to attend to celebrate their marriage having to pay for a meal would not be an issue.

You cited the example of your friend yourself. At the end of the day, if someone has decided they want to get married, and expect people to turn up to it, they shouldn't expect people to fork out, yes the people throwing it may not be able to afford to pay for everyone, but what if the guests are also strapped for cash? if you can't afford to pay for your own wedding and all the trimmings, then why not wait and save up until you can?
  • RazzylewRazzylew Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they're doing the wedding on a tight budget - which I'd hope they are if they're expecting everyone to pay as they are, I'd expect it to be hireing suits. In my experiance that is the norm when you have matching wedding suits. Its what we did (although we did pay for everyone) and about 2 years ago it came to about £150 per suit if I recall correctly. This was the full lot though of suit, shirt, tie, hankie, waistcoat and top hat.

I do think its cheeky to ask you to pay if they're dictating what you're wearing, and its down right rude if you haven't got much spare cash at the minute. When my husband was an usher at his brother's wedding, he didn't get a suit paid for, but it was left totally up to him what he wore, so he didn't have to buy something new. I agree with the others, if its your wedding and you can't afford to buy your wedding parties outfits, then you shouldn't dictate what they wear. If you're fussy about what they wear, you stump up the cost!

Good luck arguing your peice - I hope you stick to your guns and refuse to give into them.
  • sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member

Yeah, but they weren't guests. 'Guests' means that you are there at the benefit of your host.

They wanted a do on their terms that they couldn't afford. Fair enough if everyone who attends is ok with that, but don't call them guests. They are people paying for something that someone else wants.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You cited the example of your friend yourself. At the end of the day, if someone has decided they want to get married, and expect people to turn up to it, they shouldn't expect people to fork out, yes the people throwing it may not be able to afford to pay for everyone, but what if the guests are also strapped for cash? if you can't afford to pay for your own wedding and all the trimmings, then why not wait and save up until you can?

Your original comment was you'd rather pay to go out with your friends, implication being and not pay to attend your brothers wedding, which is what is being discussed here.

Anyone can have a wedding however they choose these days, often enough on DS people criticise the 'traditional wedding' whereby couples get into 000s of debt to pay for a dream. Why not have a small wedding and invite people to attend and pay for themselves? It's up to those invited whether to attend or not. Free choice and all that.
  • fainéantfainéant Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you still believe the bit about no speeches?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sadoldbird wrote: »
    Yeah, but they weren't guests. 'Guests' means that you are there at the benefit of your host.

They wanted a do on their terms that they couldn't afford. Fair enough if everyone who attends is ok with that, but don't call them guests. They are people paying for something that someone else wants.

Ok, I stand corrected, each invitee was asked to contribute towards the cost.

At the end of the day you can either attend or not, as you choose.