Storing clothes in a garage (unheated)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
Forum Member
I have an outside garage (unheated) and as I have limited space in my home (no loft) I was wondering if I could use this space to store some clothes? If so, how do I pack them so that they do not get damaged with either dampness or termite damage, Thanks a lot for anyone who may reply bbuk

Comments

• burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know where you live SaucySammy but I wouldn't worry about termite damage if you live in the UK! The reason I wouldn't keep clothes in the garage is that they will smell musty and there is a danger of mouse damage. Mice will shred the clothes for their nests and you'll never get the smell out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    burton07 wrote: »
    The reason I wouldn't keep clothes in the garage is that they will smell musty and there is a danger of mouse damage. Mice will shred the clothes for their nests and you'll never get the smell out.

Well actually I was having a "wee think" and I was considering puting old curtains (nets and unlined curtains in there instead of clothes) and when I said termites I actually meant mice, but what if I pack them into black bin bags and put them in plastic boxes?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well actually I was having a "wee think" and I was considering puting old curtains (nets and unlined curtains in there instead of clothes) and when I said termites I actually meant mice, but what if I pack them into black bin bags and put them in plastic boxes?

The plastic boxes would have to be very thick. Mice will chew through most things.

How did you confuse mice with termites?
    Forum Member

I associated "creepy crawlies" with termites, anything that is not a "normal animal/mammal" is a termite, I should explain that the garage is made of brick with a good door, so does that make a difference?:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my experience, nets and curtains and things like that, that go into storage never come out again. Why not sell them on ebay and buy yourself something - or give them to charity?
    Forum Member
    In my experience, nets and curtains and things like that, that go into storage never come out again. Why not sell them on ebay and buy yourself something - or give them to charity?

I am just storing them a way incase I need them in the future, actually what I am really saying is that I will keep them in the garage for a couple of years and then get rid of them......

Its just that I do not like throwing things out "straight away" as I find that when i do that, I would have used them again, so that is why I wanted to store them first off all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go to Argos and get Space Bags and store in those. You suck all the air out and the bags are pretty thick if you get the genuine makes. Other stores sell similar types of things.

We store decorating clothes/dust cloths in our unheated garage without any probs. Wouldn't recommend storing anything that you weren't prepared to lose/get damaged if the mice got to it tho.
  • jbiggsjbiggs Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just get a rid of them, once in garage that's it then
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am just storing them a way incase I need them in the future, actually what I am really saying is that I will keep them in the garage for a couple of years and then get rid of them......

Its just that I do not like throwing things out "straight away" as I find that when i do that, I would have used them again, so that is why I wanted to store them first off all.

You seem to be a prime candidate for 'The Hoarder Next Door' programme on TV. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    I've stored clothes in the garage in the past and in my experience it just ruins them!

Mine came out smelling musty and had strange white patches on them and you can't get the smell out!

I definitely wouldn't advise it!
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sounds nasty

bin or donate, thats my mottto
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many years ago I took a few black bin bags full of old clothes to the charity shop next to where i worked so they knew me. The next time I went in they asked me if I stored the bags in the garage (I had) as they emptied one out and a tiny baby hedgehog was inside. No hole in bag so wonder how he/she got in!! Someone took it home and gave it a home :D

So in answer to the OP's question . No!
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So when you say termites you mean mice...

When you say clothes you mean curtains...

When you say store you mean keep for a while then throw out...

Is your garage an actual garage? :D
    Forum Member
    Ber wrote: »
    So when you say termites you mean mice...

When you say clothes you mean curtains...

When you say store you mean keep for a while then throw out...

Is your garage an actual garage? :D

Actually now you come to mention it, its a bin house where we keep our bins (I promise you!!!:o:o) I think its when I start typing I get a bit confused and over excited and then get lost in language, but I have got it all fixed now. Thanks to everyone who replied with help/advice
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The plastic boxes would have to be very thick. Mice will chew through most things.

for a minute there i was thinking how cruel to pack mice in a plastic box, but then I read the post again and realised it was termites being stored that way:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that the OP was worried about termites damaging their clothes in the garage, when in reality they are worried about mice damaging their old net curtains in the bin store! Completely different problem.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be more worried about them going foisty
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    I put a lot of stuff in my garage. Baby stroller, old high chair other bits and bobs. Everything went mouldy! My garage isn't insinuated. Really annoying!! Had to put it all in the skip.
    Forum Member
    I thought that the OP was worried about termites damaging their clothes in the garage, when in reality they are worried about mice damaging their old net curtains in the bin store! Completely different problem.:D

I decided to change, instead of puting clothes in the bin house I decided to put curtains in instead, I was unsure if people knew what a bin house was so I thought just saying a garage would be easier, as its what its similar too.
  • Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think lack of heating is the problem, but damp. I've stored clothes and bedding in my garage and had no problems (usually months rather than years though).
    A bin house is different - almost certain to be damp.

Come on you know you aren't going to use this stuff again. You will pack it away, worry about it - unpack in a couple of years and have to throw it aware. Be brave - sort out the rubbish and bin it - and put the rest down to your local charity shop.
    Forum Member
    Come on you know you aren't going to use this stuff again. You will pack it away, worry about it - unpack in a couple of years and have to throw it aware. Be brave - sort out the rubbish and bin it - and put the rest down to your local charity shop.

I always regret it when I take things to charity shop, I always find that I could have used it for other things, so I am a bit hesistant to just get rid of it straight way, I am also on a limited budget (I work p/t) so just getting rid of things is not easy for me.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    I decided to change, instead of puting clothes in the bin house I decided to put curtains in instead, I was unsure if people knew what a bin house was so I thought just saying a garage would be easier, as its what its similar too.

But we do know what a mouse is , so no idea why you would call it a termite !:D
    Forum Member
    But we do know what a mouse is , so no idea why you would call it a termite !:D

I thought I would have more problems with termites rather than mice as its a brick building and I thought mice could not get through it.