• steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What???????
    Why????????
    Bizarre?????
    Open All Hours without Arkwright
    No no no no no no

I wonder if they will film it here in Doncaster again or make it as a studio based set only.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,822
    Forum Member
    This is wonderful news. I just hope that it's not ruined by poor writing.

However I'm truly surprised that the shop hasn't been taken over by the Poles.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should be interesting. So, Granville got to have a son, eventually? Heh heh. Sir David Jason hasn't worn well ageing-wise but at least he now looks right for taking over the 'Arkwright' helm. Wonder if he's developed his uncle's tight-fisted ways or if he's still the dreamy romantic. Whatever, he's a great actor. Wonder who'll play the son. Thrilled to see Lynda Baron's involved, too. Wonder if Arkwright and Gladys ever did make it down the aisle. No mention of Stephanie Cole reprising her role but, seeing as she played a much older woman then, it might not work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't have thought Granville would have run the shop tbh it would have been nicer if he had done something different and Gladys and Mavis came to visit him.

I hope they don't do the Summer Wine line of Arkwright dying from seeing Nurse Gladys underwear lol.

Luckily Doncaster council were thwarted in their bid to have the shop demolished.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought Granville would have run the shop tbh it would have been nicer if he had done something different and Gladys and Mavis came to visit him.

I hope they don't do the Summer Wine line of Arkwright dying from seeing Nurse Gladys underwear lol.

Luckily Doncaster council were thwarted in their bid to have the shop demolished.

Heh heh!

I could well believe that Granville would have taken over the shop, though. Arkwright had worn him down quite a bit and, despite his fantasies, it was all he ever really knew.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if he still has the same tin of beans on the shelf with the brand name blocked out ;)

I suspect arkwright either died while getting jiggy with Nurse Gladys or from strangulation of the money belt.or a customer asking for their money back:D
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting, this has Christmas Day written all over it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if he still has the same tin of beans on the shelf with the brand name blocked out ;)

I suspect arkwright either died while getting jiggy with Nurse Gladys or from strangulation of the money belt.or a customer asking for their money back:D

That, or the till finally ate him!
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Open all hours, but wasnt expecting this, still cant make out if its a good thing or not.

It will seem strange not to have Arkwright in the store, , and im gguessing they wont have the old cash dispenser, they will have something which goes beep.

Granville, will be about the same age as Arkwright was now i guess, glad to see Linda Baron, coming back.

Gess it will be a different shop these days, no shops have things hanging outside hte doors, and ceilings these days, a shop like Arkwrights, would have had everything stolen these days.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody feel we could see more comissioned, if this special is a sucess, or will it go by the way, like To the manor dawn did.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody hell! The writer for this series is still alive?! I'd have thought he'd have been dead for about 4 years at least! It'll be strange seeing Granville running the corner shop, and even stranger seeing his son wandering around.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love Open all hours, but wasnt expecting this, still cant make out if its a good thing or not.

It will seem strange not to have Arkwright in the store, , and im gguessing they wont have the old cash dispenser, they will have something which goes beep.

Granville, will be about the same age as Arkwright was now i guess, glad to see Linda Baron, coming back.

Gess it will be a different shop these days, no shops have things hanging outside hte doors, and ceilings these days, a shop like Arkwrights, would have had everything stolen these days.

Have you p-p-perchance been p-p-possessed by the spirit of Arkwright, jazzy? :p
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    there's something missing from this

I can't quite put my finger on it....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another reason not to look forward to Christmas.

Yet another old show is "revived" for one last outing. It's just plugging a gap in the Christmas Day schedule, and people will only watch it to see it because "it's got David Jason in it". I guess after The Bodyguard, they needed to find another vehicle for him.

Why do the BBC do it? I don't like Miranda, but that was a new show with a special and, despite it airing on Boxing Day last year, it got the highest viewing figures - higher than an episode of The Royle Family (on Christmas Day). It's just laziness, and you can use the excuse of it being Christmas and being special to get them together again, and that it's easy viewing but I'm sorry, I'm not buying it. I know, I know - "don't watch it then, no-one's forcing you".

Also, remember The Legacy of Reginald Perrin? It'll be as bad and pointless as that, albeit for one episode only, thank goodness. Surely by missing Ronnie Barker it'll lose a lot of what made the original series funny.
  • Object ZObject Z Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "For F....F...F...Fsss sake Granvile, Another old idea dredged `op `from `t past."

What ever next? Steptoe and Son 2013?

BBC. Leave the old classics alone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Granville born 1949-50 9 months after a visit by royalty to Doncaster races bearing two tins of Royal Doncaster Butterscotch
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That would make him 5 years younger than my mum but he looks a good 15 years older! Mind you, didn't Ronnie Barker play Arkwright as older than he actually was?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    That would make him 5 years younger than my mum but he looks a good 15 years older! Mind you, didn't Ronnie Barker play Arkwright as older than he actually was?

Arkwright was the same age as a can of beans but don't forget the show was made from 1976-1986 so persumably the characters never ages.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, wonder if the mother of Granville's son is identified. No mention of him having a wife or partner in the DS blurb. Couldn't be Barbara Flynn (aka the Milk Lady!), could it :D? Or Mavis (incidentally, my mum's 'real' name!)?
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,547
    Forum Member
    A 30 minute special and they are going to tell the story of what has happened :confused: They will never fit all that in without it being rushed :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    A 30 minute special and they are going to tell the story of what has happened :confused: They will never fit all that in without it being rushed :(

True, it should be longer. Up to an hour. 45 minutes minimum. Unless it's a tentative pilot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    True, it should be longer. Up to an hour. 45 minutes minimum. Unless it's a tentative pilot.

I hope it doesn't feature a lot of montage clips and flashbacks and is a proper new episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope it doesn't feature a lot of montage clips and flashbacks and is a proper new episode.

That would be dreadful and a waste. Those who loved the show know the episodes backwards. Those who haven't seen it before can easily find them, if they want to get clued up.

They could still have Arkwright 'in' the show. His urn on a shelf above the till! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they will have a portrait like Jock's in Dallas above the till.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear.Hope this isn't the usual letdown